Givi A660 Windshield - Has anybody mounted one? Got photos?

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.

How do you think this looks on a Ural?

Great!
23%
Average
54%
Don't like it
23%

Total votes: 13

IndyChizzle
Party Member
Party Member

Givi A660 Windshield - Has anybody mounted one? Got photos?

Post by IndyChizzle » Sat May 18, 2019 6:07 pm

Hi Ural Owners,
Does anybody have first-hand experience mounting a Givi A660 on a Ural? I really like the looks of them, but I wanted to know if anybody had any tips or tricks. The mounting looks like a 15 minute job, but I wanted to make sure that it actually fit (and can be adjusted at a practical angle) before ordering one.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Chuck
416thgDXXZL._SX425_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sidecar newby trying to get started...

snowymonkey
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Givi A660 Windshield - Has anybody mounted one? Got photos?

Post by snowymonkey » Sun May 19, 2019 9:16 am

I don’t have any experience with the Givi.... but I run this Puig. Only costs $40ish on Amazon and bolts right up.
1A8A0FBB-E5E6-4384-A713-124FC43117BE.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“ The music moves me, but it moves me ugly” - Nickoli

2008 Ural Patrol - “Toothless”

Lake City Florida

IndyChizzle
Party Member
Party Member

Post by IndyChizzle » Wed May 22, 2019 6:15 am

Bump; anybody got a Givi A660? If no, I may buy one and take a shot...

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Wed May 22, 2019 6:30 am

If you know the height above the headlight that might be helpful. As you know, on the Ural you sit high. A lot of the windshields out there will simply move the air into your face or chest. Just something to consider. Obviously, if you’re going for looks it doesn’t matter. 8)
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
90,000 km and counting

Speedbump
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Speedbump » Wed May 22, 2019 6:52 am

Had one on my rig when I first got it. Easy to setup and adjust. If you don't already know, the will not block the wind from your face or hands, just the chest area. I upgraded to the Plexifaring 3. It gives me complete wind protection. Good luck!
Glen³
2015 Retro.

Previous rides:
1977 GS550
1979 XS750

tparr

Post by tparr » Wed May 22, 2019 9:52 am

IndyChizzle wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 6:07 pm
Hi Ural Owners,
Does anybody have first-hand experience mounting a Givi A660 on a Ural? I really like the looks of them, but I wanted to know if anybody had any tips or tricks. The mounting looks like a 15 minute job, but I wanted to make sure that it actually fit (and can be adjusted at a practical angle) before ordering one.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Chuck

416thgDXXZL._SX425_.jpg

Although not the Givi, Hal Goodwin did a ride report on a similar Ural branded windscreen. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=50883&hilit=windscreen. I prefer the looks of a naked Ural, but my desire for wind protection has prevailed. i am currently using the factory fairing, i give it high marks for functionality. My only other experience is the Plexifairng 2 which worked great but didn't have the aesthetics I was after.
enjoy your ride :D

Tim
2013 Gear Up, Forrest Fog
new to me in 2018, 19,995 km

IndyChizzle
Party Member
Party Member

Post by IndyChizzle » Wed May 22, 2019 12:43 pm

While perusing Hal's thread, I think I accidentally found the photos I was looking for in a Ural of New England for sale ad:

http://veh-markets.com/motorcycles/ural ... rades.html

Happytrails

Post by Happytrails » Wed May 22, 2019 3:08 pm

Retro looks so good with that white frame.

I like the looks of the Ural without any windshield but I really needed to get one. The Givi screens look great but I went for the larger factory one. It really makes riding at 45+mph so much nicer.

-JR

2018 Ural GearUp, Urban Camo
1991 Honda Goldwing SE

"riding is good therapy"

IndyChizzle
Party Member
Party Member

Post by IndyChizzle » Thu May 23, 2019 11:08 pm

Happytrails wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 3:08 pm
Retro looks so good with that white frame.

I like the looks of the Ural without any windshield but I really needed to get one. The Givi screens look great but I went for the larger factory one. It really makes riding at 45+mph so much nicer.

I ride with and without. It's wonderful to pull off the fairing when it gets hot out; I just got sick of the process of pulling off the Ural metal fairing. I also always felt frustrated that the ears scratch the headlight bucket easily.

I'm hoping that by switching to the Givi, I have something that is easier to take on and off, and that looks a little more modern (like the Retro above).

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Fri May 24, 2019 10:11 am

No experience with the Givi A660, but tried a similar sized windscreen and didn't like it. It directed and concentrated the wind blast on my face with lots of noise and buffeting.

I like smaller fairings that only effect the lower body, or large full coverage windscreens.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

rivers

Post by rivers » Fri May 24, 2019 11:27 am

If you're just going for looks the Givi looks OK I guess, but I'm not a fairing for looks guy. They either serve a function or they get tossed. Don't know about the Givi A660 but had an older similar Givi A200(?) on an 06. Worked good for lessening tiring wind pressure off your chest at hwy speeds. Other than that doesn't do much for you unless you're playing Rickey Racer and tucking in behind it. I eventually removed it and went with a stock Ural fairing for local weather protection.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

IndyChizzle
Party Member
Party Member

Post by IndyChizzle » Fri May 24, 2019 12:12 pm

I've got one on order now, and will report back on how it works. I sat on my bike and measured with a tape measure to ID the ideal height for a windshield. It looks like the A660 is pretty ideal for my height, but I'll only know for sure once it is mounted...

RC20

Post by RC20 » Sun May 26, 2019 2:53 pm

I have run em with no fairing, my wife's R80GS has a half fairing and I have mostly run with full fairings.

I don't get no fairing, my first 750 I got one as soon as I could and never looked back (well I do use the rear view mirrors)

When I got the 700, I got a Rifle Sport fairing for it. Tallest windshield thiey offered so I could cut it down once I figured out the right height which for me was just see over it height.

The R80GS fairing the shop sold my wife was a help but not much. I also put a Rifle Fairing on it.

To me the key was the windshield height. I want to see just over it by about an inch. Buffeting is minimal and I can see the way I want.

I never could figure out how you could ride long distances without one. I worked heavy labor most of my life (it was all my first job and a lot of any job I had latter) so I was no wimp. But the wind beating all the time bothered me. So its a variable, I think my older brother and his 750 did not have one.
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

IndyChizzle
Party Member
Party Member

Post by IndyChizzle » Sun May 26, 2019 4:36 pm

RC20 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 2:53 pm
I have run em with no fairing, my wife's R80GS has a half fairing and I have mostly run with full fairings.

I don't get no fairing, my first 750 I got one as soon as I could and never looked back (well I do use the rear view mirrors)

When I got the 700, I got a Rifle Sport fairing for it. Tallest windshield thiey offered so I could cut it down once I figured out the right height which for me was just see over it height.

The R80GS fairing the shop sold my wife was a help but not much. I also put a Rifle Fairing on it.

To me the key was the windshield height. I want to see just over it by about an inch. Buffeting is minimal and I can see the way I want.

I never could figure out how you could ride long distances without one. I worked heavy labor most of my life (it was all my first job and a lot of any job I had latter) so I was no wimp. But the wind beating all the time bothered me. So its a variable, I think my older brother and his 750 did not have one.
I think it depends on your temperature and how far you're going to ride. For short trips (or stop and go trips) when it is 90F + outside, taking off the fairing can be nice. If I lived in Anchorage, my opinion May differ :D

IndyChizzle
Party Member
Party Member

Post by IndyChizzle » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:18 pm

20190602_220723.jpg
I got one of these and got it mounted. It is awkward to get it set up initially, but otherwise it went smoothly.

Notes for others:
  • Max speed 130 kph (80mph) :D
    I'm 6'2" and it is a little short
    Just mounts to the handlebars, but is sturdy
    Costs ~$140
    I like the width; it is narrower than other options
    It should take just a few minutes and 1 Allen wrench to remove