Ural Summer Gloves: Are they any good?

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
RC20
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Ural Summer Gloves: Are they any good?

Post by RC20 » Sun May 26, 2019 3:14 pm

Going off topic a bit on PPE.

When I got my first cycle (the CB750) my brother gave me a leather jacket (a family friend had died in it and still had blood stains) leather pants.

He told me he never wanted to see me without those two, a helmet, gloves and heavy foot gear.

I never did. I spent a winter in Hawaii on a 750 and 85 degree and 90% Humidity and in downtown Honolulu I have the ensemble on.

I am not comfortable unless I have it on no matter how hot it is outside. Once you learn it that way then its a default you don't violate, this is dangerous enough not to do your best to protect yourself. If you don't care about yourself then you might thing about your family that has to deal with someone chewed up by an accident that the gear could have prevented.

I am working on getting the back braces setup as well.

No you may not be sliding along asphalt directly from a Ural, but you sure can fly and where you wind up and what you slide across or hit is a crap shoot.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

IndyChizzle
Party Member
Party Member

Post by IndyChizzle » Mon May 27, 2019 3:15 pm

RC20 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:06 pm
Since it is unlikely to fall off a URAL outfit, I don't see an advantage to wearing gloves - in hot weather - on a Ural.

In about 50 years of riding Triumphs, BSAs, Ducatis, BMWs etc. I've never worn gloves in hot weather, & never hurt my hands.

I've never believed in being miserably uncomfortable - for what MAY be unlikely to happen. Admit sacrificing protection for comfort.

From a safety standpoint - not a fan of gloves, rings, long hair & jewelry around machinery.
I am going to disagree with that on all fronts. As you are not going to wear gloves no further comment is needed, the OP asked about THOSE GLOVES, not if you should wear gloves.

First its started about not falling off a Ural (thrown yes, fall no and you buys your gloves or not and takes your chances ) and then onto its comfort thing so you are not going to anyway . So don't make it into something its not, you simply don't based on some perceived comfort. I have other words for it but its your hands. Wishing you luck is wasted, you don't deserve it. That is for people who do the best they can and still get the short end of the stick.

Then you conflate Gloves with rings, jewelry and long hair. that is simply a crock.

Gloves are PPE and the others are not. Putting them into the same category is more self justification (no argument if you don't want to but to make it some kind of logical construct is pure BS) :bs:

Lastly, you are simply F ing lucky. In all my year or riding I only used my helmet once. It saved me from a severe concussion at best and possibly turning into a vegetable. Once is all it takes.

I make my living with my hands. They are worth protecting. Most people need their hands and for most they are worth protecting.
Thanks to both you gentlemen for your opinion.

Hopefully in the future we can try to share in a more friendly manner. There are so few of us that enjoy Urals, that I hate to to make enemies over something as simple as glove preference.

Ride safe.
Sidecar newby trying to get started...

RC20

Post by RC20 » Mon May 27, 2019 8:16 pm

Its a pretty hot button issue for me. Contending gloves are a hazard is so wrong on so many levels.
I don't call that an opinion, its proven fact.

Opinion only is not wearing them, though even that is less than an opinion. Simply a preference and not one that applies (not saying it well) To contend its a hazard is an outlandish opinion to the point its a lie. Alternative facts if you will.

Worst I think is advising people not to. I just don't get it. Its just plain wrong and I don't think that is remotely in the spirit of the Ural or fellow Uralists let alone cyclists in general.

Maybe a wonderful person otherwise but not one I would want to meet let alone get to know based on that attitude.

Its like saying wearing helmets is an opinion. Its not. Rohtlesbuerger thought so, he was so lucky not to be a vegetable.

Ok, I am frothing still, it would be good for him to admit he was and is wrong.
Fear No Gravel
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB450K
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Wed May 29, 2019 9:33 am

My comments for lighter gloves are based on Ural riding.
We aren't going to lowslide or slide off a Ural.
While we are much less likely to have an unplanned dismount on a Ural, if we do it will be abrupt and violent.
I balance my gear choices accordingly.

I wear a mesh kevlar Motoport jacket and pants with their old-style quad armor on two wheels or 3.
There are 6 pieces of armor in the jacket protecting the back, ribs and chest, shoulders and elbows/forearms.
The pants have 5 pieces of armor protecting your tail bone, hips and knees/shins.
You can take a tire iron to any of the armored areas or drop to your knees from a standing position and not feel a thing.
All riding on 2 wheels is with kevlar, double palm, long cuff, carbon fiber armored gloves.

chaos2
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by chaos2 » Wed May 29, 2019 11:25 am

Here in Ohio without helmet laws for most riders I'm given up caring what other's wear. Roads are now saturated with the chrome and noise crowd, bareheaded, maybe a t shirt, shorts, sandals, out for that first spring ride with questionable riding skills. I feel like a paragon of ATGATT with a helmet. boots, jacket and jeans.
past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, and a Citroen.
Now an 87 K75s, DB Haanjo gravel bike, and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

Happytrails

Post by Happytrails » Wed May 29, 2019 11:53 am

I wear the same stuff 2 wheels or 3 wheels. Not sure why people are indifferent either way. Im still lookin for summer gloves, my old ones are just wore out. I've always lived in states with no helmet laws but i always have one on my noggin. Helps if its a nice comfy helmet. :)
-JR

2018 Ural GearUp, Urban Camo
1991 Honda Goldwing SE

"riding is good therapy"

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Wed May 29, 2019 1:44 pm

I can hit 40 mph when riding a bicycle downhill wearing shorts, t-shirt, athletic shoes, lightweight fingerless gloves, and cycling helmet. On a motorcycle I wear a helmet, work gloves, and street clothes.

I'm aware of the potential issues, and that choosing a bicycle/motorcycle over a car has some inherent risks, and I'm also aware tragic things can happen no matter what vehicle or gear one is using. My choices are a calculated risk that best meets my needs, desires, concerns, and riding style.
I have an armored suit, but never wear it. I've found being excessively hot, constricted, and uncomfortable is a risk in of itself because it can become a distraction, which is a form of impairment.

I have been hit by cars 3 times, and a high side on a slick surface while riding a motorcycle. Off road, and cycling incidents are too numerous to list or remember. I've walked away from all of them with bumps, bruises, and scrapes.

I believe my less than ATGATT compromises are reasonable for me. I will agree that suggesting gloves or helmets are dangerous is ridiculous.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

chaos2
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by chaos2 » Wed May 29, 2019 2:46 pm

Agreed, If we really wanted to minimize risks we'd all be driving Volvos instead of motorcycles.

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Post by S 854 » Wed May 29, 2019 10:29 pm

How did we get from “Are Ural gloves any good” to “YER ALL GONNA DIE OUT THERE!!!” in less than two pages?!?

:feelsgood:
'07 Arctic: The Russian Raucous Ship

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out...

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Thu May 30, 2019 12:23 am

S 854 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:29 pm
How did we get from “Are Ural gloves any good” to “YER ALL GONNA DIE OUT THERE!!!” in less than two pages?!?

Because the answer to the OP's question "are they any good?" is subjective due to many different parameters that can't be quantified without perspective.

The OP's specific parameters are "Are they durable? Will they protect you in a crash?". Apparently nobody has first hand experience with them, as such we're limited to speculations based on personal requirement and prejudices.

In other words, we don't know jack $#!+ about them, and we're just talking out of our asses...... :lurker:
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Post by S 854 » Thu May 30, 2019 8:13 am

:lol:
'07 Arctic: The Russian Raucous Ship

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out...

RC20

Post by RC20 » Fri May 31, 2019 3:31 pm

Any glove is better than no glove. Leather is better glove than cotton.

And yes I checked to be sure my helmet was still a good fit.
Fear No Gravel
Honda 90
1 x CB450K
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:21 am

S 854 wrote:
How did we get from “Are Ural gloves any good” to “YER ALL GONNA DIE OUT THERE!!!”...
Because we were offering other summer glove options.
Leather, even when perforated isn't a very light summer glove.

It's PPE, emphasis on the "personal" so people need to decide for themselves.

Don't even get me started about my biggest pet peeve...no protective pants.

chaos2
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by chaos2 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:01 am

I just picked up a pair of these, for the price they are surprisingly well made, flow lots of air and offer decent protection, all better than my old lightweight deerskin summer gloves. And the seller had them at my doorstep in 2 days!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Happytrails

Post by Happytrails » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:53 am

S 854 wrote:

When I stepped on the rollercoaster it seemed safe enough... :roll:

-JR

2018 Ural GearUp, Urban Camo
1991 Honda Goldwing SE

"riding is good therapy"