Ural Summer Gloves: Are they any good?

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
IndyChizzle
Party Member
Party Member

Ural Summer Gloves: Are they any good?

Post by IndyChizzle » Thu May 02, 2019 10:37 pm

Has anybody here bought these and used them? Are they durable? Will they protect you in a crash? Any idea who actually makes them for Ural?

They look stylish, well made, and affordable, which makes me nervous... :foilhead:
Sidecar newby trying to get started...

Happytrails
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Ural Summer Gloves: Are they any good?

Post by Happytrails » Fri May 03, 2019 9:14 am

I've been lookin for summer gloves too. Those Ural gloves do look pretty nice. 2 layers of leather along the outside and looks double stitched. No tpu's but still looks nice for a lightweight summer glove. Most stuff is manufactured in asia even for the bigger gear companies you'd never guess would. Its just the way things are for now.

These reminds me of Revit Fly 2 gloves a little.
-JR

2018 Ural GearUp, Urban Camo
1991 Honda Goldwing SE

"riding is good therapy"

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Fri May 03, 2019 10:43 am

Those are summer gloves?
I usually wear some sort of mechanics/work glove when it's warm enough.
They breathe much better than leather and a lot cheaper.

These are my current off-road gloves...$20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CH ... UTF8&psc=1

Manscout

Post by Manscout » Fri May 03, 2019 10:55 am

If they are like their winter gloves, they will be great.
"It goes nowhere fast, and everywhere cool".

2011 Ural Patrol
Gillette, Wy
Instagram: manscoutwyo

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Fri May 03, 2019 10:57 am

BinDerSmokDat wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:43 am
Those are summer gloves?
I usually wear some sort of mechanics/work glove when it's warm enough.
They breathe much better than leather and a lot cheaper.

These are my current off-road gloves...$20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CH ... UTF8&psc=1
Well, those are real riding gloves that will actually provide protection if someone is concerned with that.

I wear inexpensive leather driving gloves that are perferated on top
. Nice and Airy, don't get clammy, but probably no better protection than work gloves.

https://www.amazon.com/LIBO-Leather-Dri ... ing&sr=8-6
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Sun May 19, 2019 10:26 pm

Since it is unlikely to fall off a URAL outfit, I don't see an advantage to wearing gloves - in hot weather - on a Ural.

In about 50 years of riding Triumphs, BSAs, Ducatis, BMWs etc. I've never worn gloves in hot weather, & never hurt my hands.

I've never believed in being miserably uncomfortable - for what MAY be unlikely to happen. Admit sacrificing protection for comfort.

From a safety standpoint - not a fan of gloves, rings, long hair & jewelry around machinery.
Current Motorcycles: 02 Ural Tourist, 2010 modified Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Mon May 20, 2019 8:04 am

My glove story/philosophy:
As an active duty servicemember, I'm required to wear specific personal protective equipment when I ride, and gloves are part of the ensemble. When I was a young Sailor, I had an '86 Yamaha Fazer upon which I enjoyed tearing up the back-roads of Virginia Beach. Since I had to wear gloves, I bought a pair of thin leather driving gloves from Wilson's Leather (remember Wilson's Leather?), like these...
-
$_10.JPG.jpg
-
One day, I was turning in to a shipmate's apartment complex, where they were doing construction, and didn't notice the inch of powdery dust/dirt covering the entrance (it blended perfectly with the rest of the asphalt). The Fazer low-sided and I instinctively reached out with my left hand to hold myself up off the pavement. The thin fashion wear glove was destroyed, but my palm had only mild abrasions.

After that incident, I've only used gloves designed for motorcycle riding, with double-leather palms.

Also, I've read somewhere that grafting skin onto the hands and fingers is the most challenging type of graft, so I'd rather take measures to avoid that particular surgery.

I've ridden in gloves for so long now, it feels unnatural for me to ride without them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "The Patrol", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

mattzahr

Post by mattzahr » Mon May 20, 2019 8:58 am

+1 on Chad - as a Retired member of the military, the DoD policy was that ALL DoD personnel wore ALL protective gear (helmet, gloves, over the ankle shoes, long pants/shirts) All the time - as a former First Sgt., my job was care and feeding of the animals - including going to the hospital to make sure the hospital was doing the very best they could for my charges. Saw share for years - but 3 years ago I hit gravel that was left on the Interstate exit and I went down. Without that gear, I would not be here today - I've shown a pic of the helmet before, but this is the glove that barely skipped on grooved concrete (max 10 - 15 feet). Three broken bones under that glove when they took it off...EDIT - rode 27 years before my accident.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'16 cT - Terracotta aka Orange
SMSgt./1st Sgt., (Ret.)
Proud member of the "Group W Bench"

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Mon May 20, 2019 9:19 am

I have their summer weight gloves and I love them. I did have to modify both gloves, however, because I take a medium and I could not comfortably fit the glove over my hand’s ball of the thumb. I ended up going to an upholstery shop where they slit the area to open a bit and added new fabric for an extension. Other than that, they are now very comfortable.
9E37EA6C-16BF-4155-BD21-C5A44E0D2E92.jpeg
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
90,000 km and counting

snowymonkey

Post by snowymonkey » Tue May 21, 2019 8:36 am

I ride in regular Home Depot deer skin work gloves. They are only $20, heavy duty, but breathable. Most comfortable gloves I have found.

......... that being said....... I also routinely ride in shorts......
“ The music moves me, but it moves me ugly” - Nickoli

2008 Ural Patrol - “Toothless”

Lake City Florida

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Tue May 21, 2019 3:42 pm

I own several pairs of Aerostitch elkskin gloves. They are easily the most comfortable gloves I've ever worn, thus the multiple purchases. They are sold in fitted sizes, made in the USA and priced reasonably for what they are.

https://www.aerostich.com/clothing/glov ... kin-gloves

On the hottest days, I default to a pair of Milwaukee-branded demolition gloves.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-L ... /206613534
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

bratmanxj

Post by bratmanxj » Tue May 21, 2019 4:32 pm

I have used many Tourmaster products and keep going back to them because I know the sizing....
https://www.tourmaster.com/inc/sdetail/ ... ve/122/417
These are a very nice textile mesh gove with a leather gel palm. Work well in the rain as they dry out fairly quickly as well.

https://www.tourmaster.com/inc/sdetail/ ... ve/122/416
My go-to glove is the Elite 2 that has been discontinued.

Both can be had for under $30 on eBay regularly.
1999 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
2007 Ural Tourist - The Big Red Brick

caycek5
Comrade
Comrade

Post by caycek5 » Wed May 22, 2019 9:12 pm

Tomcatfixer wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:04 am
My glove story/philosophy:
As an active duty servicemember, I'm required to wear specific personal protective equipment when I ride, and gloves are part of the ensemble. When I was a young Sailor, I had an '86 Yamaha Fazer upon which I enjoyed tearing up the back-roads of Virginia Beach. Since I had to wear gloves, I bought a pair of thin leather driving gloves from Wilson's Leather (remember Wilson's Leather?),
Wilson's Leather at Lynnhaven Mall, generally went to Pembroke Mall though. I hadn't thought about those places in quite some time. Thanks for the reminder.
2011 Gobi Gear-up

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Wed May 22, 2019 9:30 pm

Wilson's Leather at Lynnhaven Mall
Yep! That's exactly where I bought those gloves. :D
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "The Patrol", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

RC20

Post by RC20 » Sun May 26, 2019 3:06 pm

Since it is unlikely to fall off a URAL outfit, I don't see an advantage to wearing gloves - in hot weather - on a Ural.

In about 50 years of riding Triumphs, BSAs, Ducatis, BMWs etc. I've never worn gloves in hot weather, & never hurt my hands.

I've never believed in being miserably uncomfortable - for what MAY be unlikely to happen. Admit sacrificing protection for comfort.

From a safety standpoint - not a fan of gloves, rings, long hair & jewelry around machinery.
I am going to disagree with that on all fronts. As you are not going to wear gloves no further comment is needed, the OP asked about THOSE GLOVES, not if you should wear gloves.

First its started about not falling off a Ural (thrown yes, fall no and you buys your gloves or not and takes your chances ) and then onto its comfort thing so you are not going to anyway . So don't make it into something its not, you simply don't based on some perceived comfort. I have other words for it but its your hands. Wishing you luck is wasted, you don't deserve it. That is for people who do the best they can and still get the short end of the stick.

Then you conflate Gloves with rings, jewelry and long hair. that is simply a crock.

Gloves are PPE and the others are not. Putting them into the same category is more self justification (no argument if you don't want to but to make it some kind of logical construct is pure BS) :bs:

Lastly, you are simply F ing lucky. In all my year or riding I only used my helmet once. It saved me from a severe concussion at best and possibly turning into a vegetable. Once is all it takes.

I make my living with my hands. They are worth protecting. Most people need their hands and for most they are worth protecting.
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems