Project Steel Belly

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
BinDerSmokDat
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: Project Steel Belly

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Wed May 15, 2019 9:47 am

Better pics. Look at all of that smoothy goodness!
No holes or bolt heads to get snagged.
Can you spot the broken spoke?
How about the chain link fence post mid-pipe?
And no, I don't trim my zip ties...that is how I can tell they are still there at a glance, plus no sharp zip tie end to scratch my hand on while wrenching.

Hmmmh my sidecar looks vulnerable, I need a sidecar skidplate next. :sarcasm:

20190511_155423.jpg
Sized_155440.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jaybird
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: The foothills of the Forked River Mountains, West Barnegat NJ (Do It In The Pines!) 08005

Post by jaybird » Wed May 15, 2019 10:41 am

Nice Rich, I would probably round off all the corners if it were mine though.
That really looks helpful for sliding over sand hills.
:cheers:
I can see I need to move building a skid plate up my list of priorities :D

Happy trails,
Jaybird
2005 Gear-Up, Mr. Nat_ural 108,000+ Kilometers and counting
2013 Retro, Black beauty, AKA Lucky "13"
1995 Olive Tourist
1975 Enfield Diesel Bullet
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Wed May 15, 2019 2:20 pm

Yeah, I should have probably ground off and/or rounded the corners.

UralDude (JD) had a great idea.
He suggested grinding a line at a 45 degree angle an inch back from each corner, grinding halfway or so through the skid plate.
Then bend the corner upward and weld along the fold.

Next time I have it off for some repair, I'll look at both options.

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:37 am

Wanted to provide an update.
We had some high winds last week and found a lot of downed trees on a section of trail where there had been some controlled burning.
Sizes ranged from about 4-9", with some lying flush on the ground, while others were a few inches off the ground.
ReCycled was there running a COB skidplate.
We both have our plates extended to protect the Y-pipe, right side exiting exhaust.

We would try to approach the downed trees as perpendicular as possible, with just enough momentum and some throttle to get the front wheel to hop over. You ideally want the wheel to hop the tree and pass under the bike, not hang up between the wheel and engine.
Luckily, enough momentum to carry the wheel over, usually carries you far enough to get the log under the bike.

The skidplate is very useful, not only as protection, but for providing a sliding surface that prevents the bike hanging up.
A few times I didn't hit a log with enough momentum and got high centered.
Most times all that was required was to hop off the bike, push on the handle bars while blipping the throttle and forward momentum was restored.
At worst a little tugging/pushing when a rig was really high-centered was all that was needed to get going.

I'm convinced now more than ever that most of the utility of a skidplate is to act as a sled for the undercarriage, with oil pan protection an ancillary feature.
The few times the reduced ground clearance hangs you up when you might have passed over with a "naked" belly is more than offset by the reduction in effort to just slide off big hangups.

I am now of the mind that a load bearing COB skidplate is a necessity for any serious off-roading, not just in rocky terrain.

A flimsy 1/8" steel "showplate" or "skidfake" would be wrecked after a ride like this.

jaybird
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: The foothills of the Forked River Mountains, West Barnegat NJ (Do It In The Pines!) 08005

Post by jaybird » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:36 pm

Yes, the two rigs certainly did get put to the test.
While I enjoyed riding monkey all day with David, it would have been a good day to add my rig, sans skid plate, into the mix for contrast/comparison.
I plan to build and install my own version the next time I have the engine out, but this would have been a good opportunity to make a comparison.

Happy trails,
Jaybird
1995 Olive Tourist
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:08 pm

If you want to do recessed bolts, let me know, I have a whole bag of them and matching nylock nuts.

Then we can both chuckle when Dave gets hung up by his skid plate bolt heads. :P
Last edited by BinDerSmokDat on Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaybird
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by jaybird » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:19 pm

BinDerSmokDat wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:08 pm
If you want to do recessed bolts, let me know, I have a hole bag of them and matching nylock nuts.

Then we can both chuckle when Dave gets hung up by his skid plate bolt heads. :P
Thanks Rich, I’ll take you up on that :D :cheers:

Happy trails,
Jaybird
1995 Olive Tourist
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

mr. cob
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by mr. cob » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:01 pm

BinDerSmokDat wrote:
If you want to do recessed bolts, let me know, I have a whole bag of them and matching nylock nuts.

Howdy All,

I have yet to be stopped by the bolt heads on my skid plate, been using it for over 14 years in every type of terrain you can imagine and it has NEVER caused a problem.

I TRUST the skid plate and have used it to bounce up and over or slide over things that have stopped other rigs in their tracks or crushed their so called skid plate. Call it a brag if you will, I am just stating the facts.

Dave
Mr. Cob

Driver of the "Predator" a highly modified 2005 Gear-Up.

Driver of the "Canyon Acrobat" a 2008 Gear-Up, this rig is now driven primarily by "Mrs. Cob"

My Photo galleries, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:41 pm

I rode in Central PA this weekend, up and down some rocky, w@$#ed out "roads" with lots of baseball and football-sized rocks, with bigger rocks jutting up and rocky crags.
It was also hilly, so going down you are focusing on not picking up too much speed and uphill you are focused on maintaining enough speed not to stall.
The skidplate allows not only peace of mind, but allows one to pick lines for best momentum and traction without worrying about stray rocks sticking up.
Definitely made the ride safer and more enjoyable.

Peter Pan

Post by Peter Pan » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:05 pm

On the MZ rig I used to have trouble in the forest with sticking up broken branches. So a skidplate for the boat with its spare wheel mounted below the back was THE thing to do. (old road sign or simular?- cannot remember well) What I vividly remember is more then once to have got stopped in a 90º turn by falling down ice wedges from trucks. After that modification, neither in the woods (seasonal forestry helper), nor behind trucks in winter I got troubles... but sometimes some adrenaline and ache from left stomps when an ice block surprised me. But you will not believe how much snow this sheet metal could load up!

Here in CR on the Ural the engine skid plate from Jim Pettiti really fast got pensioned.... engine temps are much lower without it. (anyway a skid plate doesn't protect a final drive...)
Sophie Travelair = Patrol 2013
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon-Alaska-Oregon
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain = :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates) 3. at 42.386km
transmission: 1. 40.000km. 2. installed
Engine: 1. 43.388km crank replacement: Back on the road since 23.Okt.2019 :party:

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:00 pm

mr. cob wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:01 pm
BinDerSmokDat wrote:
...Then we can both chuckle when Dave gets hung up by his skid plate bolt heads. :P
...I have yet to be stopped by the bolt heads on my skid plate, been using it for over 14 years in every type of terrain you can imagine and it has NEVER caused a problem...
Two things...

1. That comment was aimed at ReCycled (Dave) not COB (Dave). Just some friendly breaking chops. The running joke when ReCycled was the first in the bunch to run a COB skid plate was to blame his stuck on the skid plate. When I saw the light and built my plate, it had to be his bolt heads that got him stuck. :D

2. I don't think the bolt heads would REALLY hang up a bike, but running a modified deep sump I have a little less clearance than a standard sump. The recessed bolts just make for a cleaner underside and they are less likely to get buggered if they should contact a rock.

siberman1

Post by siberman1 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:06 pm

BinDerSmokDat said:
And one (failure/crash dents) was in Moab and from what I understand, it was a pretty advanced trail. A place that 99% of Ural riders wouldn’t go and of the few who ride in Moab, most of them wouldn’t go.

Mr.Cob said:
I TRUST the skid plate and have used it to bounce up and over or slide over things that have stopped other rigs in their tracks or crushed their so called skid plate. Call it a brag if you will, I am just stating the facts.

FWIW-
I am in SE Idaho and a favorite place to go is the MOAB, UT gathering. In addition, I live in an area where lava flows and rocks, and severe "BLM - Forest Roads" are pretty nasty, I decided on a Mr.Cob skidplate.

I ride Moab, Canyonlands NP, Arches NP, and Hells Canyon. I also got rid of the "FLOATER PONTOON" exhausts and made my own stainless steel one on right side (using Raceways 2>1 Rt Side Header). Stock Pontoon mufflers will get you stuck just as much, IF NOT MORE, than the center belly of Ural MC.

I agree with Mr.Cob: A "Proper Skidplate" and some sort of "High Mount Exaust" is a basic neccesity for MOAB and similar.
I am very much OK with the Mr.Cob skidplate. Granted, I am in that area of only 1% who do ride in MOAB. I just have the OEM standard sump, no penalty for extended stuff. Whatever, just my observations and opinions.

YMMV
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:21 pm

siberman1 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:06 pm

I agree with Mr.Cob: A "Proper Skidplate" and some sort of "High Mount Exaust" is a basic neccesity for MOAB and similar.
That isn't just the ideal set-up for Moab, anyone considering serious off-roading should follow that build.
Unfortunately too many COB plates are on bikes that won't see terrain worse than a gravel driveway.