Left Leg Amputee Mods - Finished!

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
Claus
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Left Leg Amputee Mods

Post by Claus » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:40 pm

I welded bushings into the tubes to prevent squeezing when the bolts were fastened. A bit more of an effort, but for me it was worth it.
The tubes are closed by plastic caps I could source cheap.
The fender has moved 30mm down, so I could go directly through the fender and reignforcement layer. Looks much cleaner than using the old holes.
owned bikes: 93 Ural rig domestic model, 01 Ural 750 rig, 92 BMW R100GS, 92 Suzuki GSX1100G rig, 95 BMW R100R rig with Ural sidecar, 98 Ural rig with BMW drivetrain under construction

sKiZo
Party Member
Party Member

Post by sKiZo » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:31 pm

Not sure if I've got a problem here or not.

Adjusted the tank shifter linkage today, setting the rod lengths as specified. Pull the clutch in, pull the shift lever back for 1st, and the neutral light goes off but comes on again as soon as I release the shift lever, and I don't get a click in the trannie. Push forward for 2nd, and I get a good solid snick and the neutral light goes off and stays off telling me I'm in gear. Pull up, then push down on the reverse lever, and I'm back in neutral with the light on. I'll just assume that 3rd and 4th should be as smooth as second.

So ...
Does the engine need to be running to put it in first?
I'm still a few days away from firing it up as I want to finish up some wiring before filling the tank again.
Last edited by sKiZo on Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IndyChizzle
Party Member
Party Member

Post by IndyChizzle » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:09 pm

sKiZo wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:31 pm
Not sure if I've got a problem here or not.

Adjusted the tank shifter linkage today, setting the rod lengths as specified. Pull the clutch in, pull the shift lever back for 1st, and the neutral light goes off but comes on again as soon as I release the shift lever, and I don't get a click in the trannie. Push forward for 2nd, and I get a good solid snick and the neutral light goes off and stays off telling me I'm in gear. Pull up, then push down on the reverse lever, and I'm back in neutral with the light on. I'll just assume that 3rd and 4th should be as smooth as second.

So ... does the engine need to be running to put it in first? I'm still a few days away from firing it up as I want to finish up some wiring before filling the tank again.
Unless it is lined up perfectly, my Ural takes some persuasion. Often when clicking it into reverse, I let out the clutch only to figure out that I'm not really in reverse yet. Pull the clutch in again, nudge the reverse lever until I feel the gears synchronize, and then I'm good to go.

Can you out the bike on the center stand (either by yourself or using a jack)? As heavy as it is, you'll be able to count it as physical therapy either way... Just trying to give you a way to get used to all the sights, sounds, and feels of the Ural before your inaugural ride. We're rooting for you; I'm anxious to see an upcoming post that talks less about fixing, and more about riding (although mods are fun too).
Sidecar newby trying to get started...

sKiZo
Party Member
Party Member

Post by sKiZo » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:25 am

I won't lose any sleep over it I guess.

The tank reverse lever has got a neet "undocumented feature" to it. Pull the lever up, then down and it finds neutral every time. Hasn't missed yet after several attempts anyway. I figure the stock lever does the same - just a lot less convenient to get to every time you need neutral ...

I heard the word that I should hold the lever down and feather the clutch a bit to engage reverse. Once again, not something that would be all that convenient with the stock lever.

Center stand is doable with the help of a scissors jack I picked up. Seat's mounted up, and with the foot box, it's actually quite easy to sit the bike now. One thing I may add is a guard for the left carb as I show a tendency to kick it a bit. Getting close to the beast's maiden voyage with me at the helm ...

IndyChizzle
Party Member
Party Member

Post by IndyChizzle » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:31 pm

Sounds good. First gear is really, really slow and the bike has enough torque to lug along at slow speeds - no problem. Enjoy the maiden voyage!
Sidecar newby trying to get started...

sKiZo
Party Member
Party Member

Post by sKiZo » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:35 pm

PROGRESS

Fairing is mounted up now. Had to make my own brackets, but got it all lined up nice. I think it looks like it was made for the bike? Gonna need paint and striping, but that's for later. Next up is the reverse lighting and beeper, and then I'll be able to slap the tank on and should be ready to fire the beast up. Just waiting on a brake light switch for that circuit.

treeman1942

Post by treeman1942 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:03 am

sKiZo wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:25 am
I won't lose any sleep over it I guess.

The tank reverse lever has got a neet "undocumented feature" to it. Pull the lever up, then down and it finds neutral every time. Hasn't missed yet after several attempts anyway. I figure the stock lever does the same - just a lot less convenient to get to every time you need neutral ...

I heard the word that I should hold the lever down and feather the clutch a bit to engage reverse. Once again, not something that would be all that convenient with the stock lever.

Center stand is doable with the help of a scissors jack I picked up. Seat's mounted up, and with the foot box, it's actually quite easy to sit the bike now. One thing I may add is a guard for the left carb as I show a tendency to kick it a bit. Getting close to the beast's maiden voyage with me at the helm ...
You've made a lot of progress in that Ural and it looks much, much better than when I saw it at the previous owner's place. Once you get that rig ready for the "maiden voyage" let's meet for lunch/breakfast and I'll buy. I plan on installing a Harley Police seat too so I'm interested in your opinion, advice, etc. Also, although not very talented in mechanics, modifications, I'd be willing to provide assistance, if needed. :wink:
2019 Ural Gear Up, OD Green
1977 BMW R100/7 (original owner)
2014 Burgman 400/A
2008 Piaggio MP3250
Whizzer Motorbike

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
Will Rogers

sKiZo
Party Member
Party Member

Post by sKiZo » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:04 pm

Spent yesterday scratching my head and figuring out where to put the backup light switch. Got that figured out now I think.

Still on my to do list ...
- electrical fixtures and hookup for sidecar lighting including quick disconnect for the new wires from the bike.
- install the tank, fuel it up, and fire it up
- adjust rear brakes and shifter linkage once it's running.

Still have to do some cleanup on the rear fender, patch some holes here and there, and paint the fairing, but that can wait. I also have a 4x6 foot horse stall mat that I plan to cut for the sidecar bay and trunk - three layers at around 1½" total thickness should give me around 100lbs of weight till I lose my "rookie" status and I should still be able to seat a passenger comfortably.

Definitely get together when it's done. I've got a few folk tapping their feet wondering when that's gonna happen.

Is it done yet?
Is it done yet?
Is it done yet?

It'll be done when it's done!

sKiZo
Party Member
Party Member

Post by sKiZo » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:32 pm

Figured out the backup switch. Always wondered what that extra tab was on the bottom of the tank shifter bracket 8). Also added a piece of scrap door edging to widen the contact patch and dimpled that for a good solid seat for the switch plunger. Works great.

Pic also shows an easy fix for any slop in the linkage, which I hear is quite common. Wrapped a piece of roof flashing over the tubing and spacer washers used and tightened it down with a hose clamp. Rock steady now with no binding. I'll slap a little paint on that later.

sKiZo
Party Member
Party Member

Post by sKiZo » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:45 pm

It lives ... IT LIVES !!

Still a few tweaks to make, but it's all working. Couple items still on the "to do" list ...

- Tweak the tank shifter. Way too much travel in the forward gears lever for my liking. I already drilled an extra hole in the shifter arm at the motor which should shorten the travel enough. I also need to adjust the linkage for the reverse lever - that works, but I gotta bounce it off the bottom of the tank to get reverse. No biggie either way on each.

- Paint the fairing. I've already tested bug bomb satin black, and it's a real decent match for the factory finish. I also have the red pinstriping ready to match the rest of the bike.

- Backup switch has a bit too much slop to it. Couple times out doing practice rides it ended up letting loose on the lights and beeper when the switch disengaged while driving along. That should be an easy one (famous last words, right?) and it's not like the average driver behind me isn't already confused enough.

- I'll also want to dress up the passenger compartment some, but that's maybe a winter project. Plan now is to get in some parking lot practice and even maybe some real riding!

- I'll also want to add a knee pad for my side of the car - the only way my knee is comfortable is leaning it out as far right as I can. Gotta get back to doing daily stretches as I seem to have lost some range of motion. I'm also going to add a pad to the sidecar rail next to the brake pedal for stepping up on that instead of the footpeg. Not much feeling in that foot, so that would help a lot for getting it right.

Surprisingly enough, the biggest problem so far has been steering. Pretty rough on the right shoulder (total reverse replacement), but once again, that's mostly exercise and stretching. I may want to eventually switch to tiller bars for better leverage, but that would require new cabling and stretching the electrics. Once again, a winter project, and I think the shoulder can take it (but don't tell my ortho guy!)

Couple YouTube videos I posted up for those who like pictures. Enjoy, and thanx for all the encouragement and help. Couple short low speed rides around the neighborhood so far and that little bit put a big grin on my face after the initial OMG panic attacks. I figure my last bike killed me (no, really ... but I got better) so it couldn't be any worse with this one ... <G>

Just playing in the driveway ...

And my new light show in the back. Had fun wiring that up, but it should grab folks attention ... A bit hard to see in the video, but the extra running lights on the trunk are also side markers.

cateyetech

Post by cateyetech » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:40 am

Победы! :boogie:

:foilhead:
Charlie ╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
2003 Gear-Up Ромашка Мзй
765cc - Mikuni TM33 carburetors - Modified stock airbox with Uni foam filter
2-1 exhaust - Hand worked cylinder heads - Type V ignition system
A Warn XT17 witch that works from any angle - More handmade parts than I can list :foilhead:

The only Ural to post a second gear wheelie :evil:

2000 Patrol Teh Урал
Thanks DaveO, I'll try to ride it like you, I'll try :foilhead:

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:55 am

Hell yeah! :boogie:
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

VWNate1
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by VWNate1 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:24 am

I just discovered this thread, good job all 'round and glad to see you're still riding & wrenching .
-Nate
'94 Tourist 650
'96 650 Solo
'10 Solo sT Crashed & Ruined 6.26.17 :cry:

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:24 am

IndyChizzle wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:09 pm
Unless it is lined up perfectly, my Ural takes some persuasion. Often when clicking it into reverse, I let out the clutch only to figure out that I'm not really in reverse yet. Pull the clutch in again, nudge the reverse lever until I feel the gears synchronize, and then I'm good to go.
Image this

I'm the same, gearbox has to be turning else no go; as above, get neutral, then lever out to get the gears turning, pull in lever again and gently push in the reverse, when the gears slow down enough for the dogs to line up, bingo. Proper job. :D
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

sKiZo
Party Member
Party Member

Post by sKiZo » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:47 am

... and thank you for your support!

Couple items - rear brake adjustments. I did a LOT of mods there, and just to make sure, I jacked up the back and set each adjuster to just bind, then backed both off a couple turns. I'm assUming the brakes were properly set up prior to the recent surgery, so didn't get into the drums and shoes. Did I do good? They do feel strong, but just want to make sure there's nothing I'm missing there to get it "right" ...

It was also interesting to see that the bike fired right up, no choke, after sitting as long as it had, which I thought was astounding, especially considering the fuel system was broke down to remove the tank and such. I also found out that it likes a little throttle on a hot start. Sound about right?

PS - I'd seen some comments on wind push on the driver from the car's screen, but the Shoei fairing seems to kinda push it back. I was thinking about getting a new fairing shield anyway (yes, they're still available) as there's a couple deep gouges in the one I got, and if I do, get a taller one and make it clear to match the car's screen. Another potential trick there would be to install stealth edging around one or both - that increases your shield's "virtual height" by about 2-3 inches and looks pretty slick. I've had it on a couple bikes now and it really works. That would be the black stuff around the perimeter of the glass here ...

Oh - and before I forget - thanx for the tip on engaging reverse by giving it a bit of clutch. I find that helps a lot for a smooth engage on first as well. I also found out that the tank reverse lever is a neat and easy way to find neutral - just pull it up about half way and push it back down, and there it is. No hunting, no fuss. I can see that would be a PITA with the stock lever though.