Left Leg Amputee Mods - Finished!

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
wooden nickel
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Left Leg Amputee Mods

Post by wooden nickel » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:54 pm

I could be dead wrong but I would think an air shifter would be cheapest and easiest. Plus it would still shift like normal when not being air shifted. Not counting the compressor and air tank ( which could be salvaged from a Harley ) the components should be $150 to $200 even if you sourced from McMaster Carr. Adding a reverse shift should only be about $100 more and that would give you neutral.
I may not be good, but I'm slow.
Nick
2014 M70 Retros, the sports car of Urals.

sKiZo
Party Member
Party Member

Post by sKiZo » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:58 pm

Already got the Raceway shifter, and that will also give me a good reason to pull the tank and do some fuel system cleanup. This job keeps getting more complicated - as they always seem to do when I start slinging wrenches around the garage ... ;-}

** Took the day off today after "running " a 5K yesterday. Hey, I didn't finish last anyway. Bone tired though, but a good kind of tired, like I actually accomplished something.

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:44 am

sKiZo wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:58 pm
Already got the Raceway shifter,
Is this the "twin stick"? I was going to say isn't there a kit that does both forward gears and reverse, and yes! There is! :D

http://racewayural.com/product/ural-twi ... t-pn10014/
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

sKiZo
Party Member
Party Member

Post by sKiZo » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:30 pm

Yup - I got the twin lever that does it all. Linkage doesn't look all that complicated. The printed instructions are a bit cryptic (cyrillic? ;-}) but I found a video on the web that covers the backup shifter mods...

https://youtu.be/N3tmwhnXbVI

That's gonna come in handy as the standard forward shift lever is only a couple more connections. I DO need to get me a small gear puller as I've seen the cautions on trying to get the levers off without one. Only changes I'd make to the install is to replace the long bolt and two standard nuts that holds the bracket to the frame with a shorter one and a lock nut, rub down the cross shaft with white grease before slipping it into the tube. Couple good tips in the video about cable routing and putting the shift lever inside the tube before setting the tube in place for better clearance around the sidecar linkage.

And ya - I hear the trannie isn't synchro'd, so slip shifts are definitely out. I should save a fortune on clutches, as that was my standard "showing off again" feature on the Royal Star I'd been driving. Here's a pic of my last Barnett super clutch plates that just barely got me home after a road trip down south to the gulf ... smooth as a baby's behind they were.

sKiZo
Party Member
Party Member

Post by sKiZo » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:33 pm

IndyChizzle wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:44 pm
What are you planning to add to the brake pedal to make it easier to use? Just a thicker pad glued to the pedal, or are you going to fabricate a more "u-shaped" arm to let the pedal stick up more? This was always a pet peeve of mine, so I'm anxious to see how you handle it.
Got some ideas going here which involve some welding and fab, basically modifying the existing linkage for better leverage and clearance around the jug. Not something I'd trust to my welding skillz, but I know a guy who knows a guy ... Stay tuned!

IndyChizzle
Party Member
Party Member

Post by IndyChizzle » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:31 pm

Keep us updated! If it looks gorgeous, I may try to persuade you to make 2 of them...
Sidecar newby trying to get started...

sKiZo
Party Member
Party Member

Post by sKiZo » Wed May 01, 2019 9:53 am

Too late ... already started on my third! :mrgreen:

Note to self - fender falls off when you remove the seat. Check. You'd think they'd make a note of that in the service manual. ;-}

Had some problems with removing the tank - Petcock doesn't shut off completely, leaving a steady trickle of fuel. I drained the tank but thinking the valve needs a good cleaning before putting it back together. Probably not a bad idea to clean the screen as well.

EDIT > > Seems the common "fix" for a leaky vacuum petcock is to swap in a manual unit. Yamaha part 2GU-24500-02. Kind of a no brainer, as it's about $140 cheaper than the OEM ural unit. Got one coming.

Oh. Installing the cross tube for the shifter was as much fun as I'd heard, with that silly frame bolt jamming up against the back of the coil. I ended up replacing that with a shorter hex bolt and single lock washer (not nylock!). Also replaced the stock "soft" washers with some thick fiber types I found in the parts bins. More durable and I'd think at least as good vibration isolation. Got a small gear puller and ground the ends down to fit under the OEM shift shafts, so hopefully get all the linkage hooked up today. Have to make sure I get good full travel clearance between the linkage and pushrod tubes when I do that as I understand that can be an issue.

sKiZo
Party Member
Party Member

Post by sKiZo » Fri May 03, 2019 12:30 pm

UPDATE > >

- Got the twin stick shifter installed. There, the "gone uraling" channel on YouTube was real handy for figuring out how it all went together, which is good, because the printed instructions leave things a bit fuzzy. Just need to tweak the adjustments a little. I did "have to" add a shim to the cross tube as it felt a bit sloppy. Old trick there - I flattened a spark plug crush washer for that and pounded it flat, then reamed the hole to the right size. Makes for a thin washer that was perfect for the job. Also red locked the nut that holds the control shaft in the long tube as I hear that's prone to falling off. I've heard there can be clearance issues around the jugs with some models, but it all went together nice here. The reverse connection does sit up real close to the trannie housing, but no binding, so I'll just keep an eye on that and maybe add a small shim later if I see any rub marks down the road.

- The twin stick's mounting hardware uses one of the same bolts as the extended foot box, so got the front of that installed too. That's basically a standard jug guard that has an extra piece welded on to attach to the footboard.

- Took the tank off. You only need to lift it and support it a few inches up according to the instructions, but that gave me a good chance to inspect what all was hidden, and glad I did. Found the vacuum fuel cock had a bit of a trickle when off, so replaced that with the recommended Yamaha type manual unit. Bolted right on using the original hardware. Just plug the vacuum line that used to feed that, and all is golden. Never trusted those vacuum petcocks anyway.

- Can't say I'm a fan of bench seats, so also working on modding a Harley police bucket. The mount will be courtesy of the same "gone uraling" YouTube channel I used to walk me thru the twin stick install.

- Oh. and still gotta swap in the air horns and backup beeper. That will be controlled with a brake light switch, and I'll add an LED light bar under the license plate (now located on the trunk) that will also activate when I put it in reverse.

Still finalizing plans on the rear brake mods. Funny how one thing leads to another, right? In any case, I have high hopes I'll actually be able to drive the thing when I'm done. In the meantime, it's fun getting back into the garage - been a long time. I'll admit, wrenching is a LOT more work than it used to be, but I'm finding ways to work around my disabilities, which is always a good thing.

Pics coming ... stay tuned!

PS - anyone not familiar with the Raceway twin stick shift conversion, here's a nice demo. Grab some popcorn and pull up a seat ...

sKiZo
Party Member
Party Member

Post by sKiZo » Sat May 04, 2019 12:48 am

... and as promised ... pics!

Brake parts are off to the welder, so some time to kill. Test fit the saddle seat and it's looking good. I'll just patch the holes in the fender behind it and maybe add a small rack. The Shoei FM2 fairing was up on a shelf from another project and I thought, what da hey, eh. I think it looks good on the bike and fits the headlight shell nicely.

Here you can see the "training weight" for novice riders. Those water jugs will give me around 130 pounds of portable weight.

EDIT >> And now come to find out there's folk who think you're better off putting weight in the trunk? Supposed to keep the bike from flipping if you do a two wheel stand the wrong way. Hmmm ... food for thought.

You can also see the twin stick shifter if you look close - it blends in pretty good with all the rest of the hardware.

And here's a good shot of the twin stick shifter. Linkage is all connected and a few tweaks got rid of all the slop. Well, all the slop that isn't in the transmission anyway. This pic also shows Sean's damper installed. I did check to make sure there's no binding when swinging the bars stop to stop. And you can see the pilot's view of the bar risers - I've got some beauty caps coming for the allen heads.

PS - sorry about the mess. I would have cleaned up some if I'd known you all would be stopping by ... <G>

EDIT >> One more problem solved, and another found. Didn't need to stretch the handlebar wires after all. Plenty of slack at the "headlight" connections. (I say "headlight" as on the Ural, they left the shell pretty much empty instead of cramming everything in like on most of my Japanese bikes.) Problem found - lots of different high power accessories hooked up over the years, and lots of wires attached direct to the battery with inline fuses. I have an accessory fuse box that fits by the battery, so run all the addons to that with one heavy gauge wire direct to the battery. Whole lot easier to track down an issue, especially if you label them.

Claus

Post by Claus » Mon May 06, 2019 10:41 am

sKiZo wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 12:48 am

And now come to find out there's folk who think you're better off putting weight in the trunk? Supposed to keep the bike from flipping if you do a two wheel stand the wrong way. Hmmm ... food for thought.
I put some weight under the seat in my wife´s sidecar (48 pounds of lead, it´s a plate about 3/4 of an inch thick and a square ot 10x10 inches) and bolted it down. She says it´s a great improvement for her. A handfull of my customers have such lead plates under their side car seats because they felt unsecure, the weight helped them to feel better.
owned bikes: 93 Ural rig domestic model, 01 Ural 750 rig, 92 BMW R100GS, 92 Suzuki GSX1100G rig, 95 BMW R100R rig with Ural sidecar, 98 Ural rig with BMW drivetrain under construction

sKiZo
Party Member
Party Member

Post by sKiZo » Tue May 07, 2019 12:22 pm

Ah ... under the seat! Good compromise to center the weight I'd think. Lead plate might be a bit of a problem here in the states, but maybe a chunk of old die steel would do the job. Have to look into that. Maybe do that permanent AND use one 5 gallon bottle up front as training weight.

- Air horns hooked up
- Driving lamps relocated and rewired
- Cleaned up the rat's nest of inline fuses under the seat and added the new aux fuse box.
- Got the chirping backup alarm hooked up in the trunk. Chirp chirp cheap cheep cheep!

Time to work on the saddle seat mount while waiting for the brake parts to get back from the welder.

Penrod

Post by Penrod » Tue May 07, 2019 5:18 pm

The lumber yard I used to work in sold rolls of lead flashing by the pound. Very flexible .
2015 cT Special Edition Dark Force
Live in Maine. Retired.

Claus

Post by Claus » Wed May 08, 2019 12:42 pm

Lead plate might be a bit of a problem here in the states, but maybe a chunk of old die steel would do the job.
Well, uranium would be about the same specific weight :mrgreen:
Die steel would do anyway. You might need a bit more, but there´s enough space under the seat.
owned bikes: 93 Ural rig domestic model, 01 Ural 750 rig, 92 BMW R100GS, 92 Suzuki GSX1100G rig, 95 BMW R100R rig with Ural sidecar, 98 Ural rig with BMW drivetrain under construction

sKiZo
Party Member
Party Member

Post by sKiZo » Wed May 08, 2019 3:03 pm

Good to know.

I've also got that flat 6½ gallon water jug (the blue one pic'd earlier) that's good for another 45 pounds in the foot well if I need it. That's around 20½ kilos if my math is correct.

Another question comes to mind while playing with wiring. Is it necessary to put a disconnect on wiring heading between the bike and the sidecar? Probably not a bad idea, but I don't expect I'll ever need to take it off, and if I do, that would be a good time to do the connector. Right now I've got the stock tail light connector, a dedicated line for the foglamps, and wires for a backup beeper and light.

(Yes ... it will BEEP when it backs up! <G>

Claus

Post by Claus » Wed May 08, 2019 6:29 pm

I always put a connector in. Sometimes a plug for trailer hitch but must of the times a 5-pin automotive one I can source easy.
On all my rigs I have to tilt the bike from sidecar to do the service. It´s comfortable if you just can plug off the electric lines