Left Leg Amputee Mods - Finished!

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
Claus
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Left Leg Amputee Mods

Post by Claus » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:24 am

If you realize after a while that your right foot is too much handicapped to operate the foot brake lever properly, you might want to upgrade your drum brake on the sidecar with a hand operated disc brake.Meanwhile it is standard to have a disc brake on new Ural rigs, so one could buy stock parts. It´s possible to use custom parts as well. When connecting a Ural sidecar to a BMW bike I almost always add a disc brake to the sidecar and connect it to the hand brake (where most of times the master cylinder has to be 1 or 2 mm larger in diameter).
If you are interested in that mod, feel free to ask for information. I could post a couple of pictures and a suggestion how to do it and what parts to use that are available in your country

owned bikes: 93 Ural rig domestic model, 95 Suzuki DR 659 RSE, BMW R100GS, Suzuki GSX1100G rig, BMW R100R rig with Ural sidecar, Ural rig with BMW drivetrain under construction,

IndyChizzle
Party Member
Party Member

Post by IndyChizzle » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:36 am

Is there someone who makes a pneumatically or electrically actuated shifter? I thought I had seen one previously used for this application. Are you having any luck getting the rear brake adjusted? I always found mine hard to use (took a lot of push to actuate).
Sidecar newby trying to get started...

sKiZo
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by sKiZo » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:45 pm

Latest mod will be a set of pullback risers for the handlebars that will shift those back and up inch or two. Should make the reach a lot easier for me, and hopefully not screw up the dynamics for steering. Looks like the stock cables will do the job - fingers crossed.

Just took care of some (to me) important bike related stuff too ...

Anyone wondering about the Pennsylvania ABATE sign on a Michigan road, I couldn't find one locally and they were kind enough to send me one.

Holding off on applying the "save a life" part of the decal till I get the new plate frame in so I know it will fit.

I'm working on some mods for the rear brakes too, without having to fork out a grand for a hydraulic upgrade. I'll post up on that when I get it all figured out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Evil Kneivel? He got nuttin' on me!
2011 Ural T
Handicap mods include Raceway foot box, tank shifter w/reverse, and DIY rear brake pedal mods.

sKiZo
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by sKiZo » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:26 pm

Put the risers on and the cables are fine. Electrical could use another inch or two, but I'm hoping I'll be able to rearrange things in the headlight a bit to give me more slack. Worse comes to worse, wouldn't be the first time I stretched wires.

It got tricky (don't it always?) because the stock dampener was in the way of the bars at the new location, but I cobbled together a replacement stem minus the knob using the original friction hardware. I can use a ratchet to adjust it to about where it was before, but I shouldn't need it now that I'm doing Sean's damper. I can always revert to the original setup if it's gonna be a problem.

PS - wanted to do the risers before installing the tank shifter so I can make sure there's no interference with that. I can always heat and bend the stick if it comes to that. I'm sure that won't void any warranty ... :roll:
2011 Ural T
Handicap mods include Raceway foot box, tank shifter w/reverse, and DIY rear brake pedal mods.

IndyChizzle
Party Member
Party Member

Post by IndyChizzle » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:44 am

Looks like you are making good progress! I found the shifter kit I was thinking of, but it's pretty expensive:

https://www.denniskirk.com/pingel/elect ... LIQAvD_BwE

sKiZo
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by sKiZo » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:22 pm

Slick ... doesn't give you reverse though, does it? Looks like two buttons, one for up and one for down ...

And ya, none of this stuff is cheap, but it's a good investment if you need it and were dumb enough to buy a motorcycle. <G>

Some rainy days coming up, so good wrenching weather!

PS ... I've heard the tank shifter setup has a pretty long throw to it. Have to ponder a way to shorten that up if I can. I remember the good old days doing similar with a VW Bus that had a two county throw on the lever. All that took was a 1" riser under the shifter to take all the slop out of the linkage.
2011 Ural T

IndyChizzle
Party Member
Party Member

Post by IndyChizzle » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:44 pm

What are you planning to add to the brake pedal to make it easier to use? Just a thicker pad glued to the pedal, or are you going to fabricate a more "u-shaped" arm to let the pedal stick up more? This was always a pet peeve of mine, so I'm anxious to see how you handle it.

FYI, a couple good ideas about rear brakes here:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/ural-sid ... t.1250030/

jeffsaline

Post by jeffsaline » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:03 pm

sKiZo wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:22 pm
PS ... I've heard the tank shifter setup has a pretty long throw to it. Have to ponder a way to shorten that up if I can. I remember the good old days doing similar with a VW Bus that had a two county throw on the lever. All that took was a 1" riser under the shifter to take all the slop out of the linkage.
Just move the attachment point closer to the pivot on the tranie and/or further away from the pivot on the hand shifter. It is just a matter of changing the ratio.

Best,

Jeff
Jeff Saline
2010 Gear Up
-Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two
-Just because something isn't true, no reason you can't believe it. Hub McCann Second Hand Lions
-Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

IndyChizzle
Party Member
Party Member

Post by IndyChizzle » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:39 am

I'm certainly no expert as to what is helpful for amputees, but I saw this left engine guard mod and wondered if it would be helpful when trying to keep your left leg within the confines of the bike (maybe with a few tweaks)?

sKiZo
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by sKiZo » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:10 am

I saw something like that when searching the innernet, but went with the Raceway full box. I'd still have to aim pretty good to get my "foot" positioned properly for mounting up.

This is what it looks like, and there just happens to be one sitting in the garage. Gonna hold off on that until after the new shift linkage is installed - which should probably happen today. That's all one piece and will replace the existing crash bar as well. Has four solid mounting points too, and it's supposed to be able to support 300 pounds. That'll just leave spraying some black Plastidip on the bolts to pretty them up once the dust settles.

Been trying mounts/dismounts and probably look about as coordinated as a drunk monkey doing it. Hope the foot box helps. I do know the handlebar risers made a difference there helping me haul my tired old carcass up into the saddle.
2011 Ural T

IndyChizzle
Party Member
Party Member

Post by IndyChizzle » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:04 pm

That'll look good! If you cut off the toe pads on the shifter, it would really make people scratch their heads if they check out your bike....

Burt1713
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Burt1713 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:12 pm

IndyChizzle wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:44 am
Looks like you are making good progress! I found the shifter kit I was thinking of, but it's pretty expensive:

If you go with the electric shifter you may still need to use the clutch, I don’t think Urals like clutch less shifting.
2017 cT "Woody Moose"
2002 Ural solo bobber/chopper (work in progress) “Symphony of Destruction”
1997 Sportster "Scarlet Speedster"
1984 Honda Interceptor "Cornfield Express" (Gone)

IndyChizzle
Party Member
Party Member

Post by IndyChizzle » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:25 pm

Burt1713 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:12 pm
IndyChizzle wrote:

If you go with the electric shifter you may still need to use the clutch, I don’t think Urals like clutch less shifting.
Urals barely like shifting with a clutch. Come on, live a little... :lol:

Brought to you by the clutch and gearbox manufacturer's association... :foilhead:

Burt1713
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Burt1713 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:31 pm

IndyChizzle wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:25 pm
Burt1713 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:12 pm
IndyChizzle wrote:

Urals barely like shifting with a clutch. Come on, live a little... :lol:

Brought to you by the clutch and gearbox manufacturer's association... :foilhead:
Given the force required to shift a Ural maybe hydraulic instead of electric. lol
2017 cT "Woody Moose"

Burt1713
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Burt1713 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:41 pm

All kidding aside, I just got thinking, what about a hydraulic hand shifter? No complicated linkage, just hoses.
2017 cT "Woody Moose"