Left Leg Amputee Mods - Finished!

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
sKiZo
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Left Leg Amputee Mods - Finished!

Post by sKiZo » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:41 pm

So let's call this my "introduction post" ...

Hi - I'm sKiZo!
(glad I got that out of the way!) <G>

Anyway - recent BKA (below knee amputee) due to a rude intro to an SUV while out for a weekend putt (I lost) and was thinking my riding daze was over. Worst part was sitting on the porch watching the bikes go by now that the weather's good again. Two wheels were out of the question, and though I've ridden both standard trikes and the new fangled two up front rigs, can't say I cared much for them. Started looking into the Ural T as an option, and was impressed with reviews on how they work for folk with disability issues. Found a local used 2011 and couldn't resist taking it home.

A few mods planned so far ...
  • Tank shifter from Raceway. Pretty much a must as there's no way I can work with the stock heel/toe

Brake extension pedal pad (UralNE) as my right ankle is also "compromised" and doesn't like to bend down far enough to get good travel on the stock pedal. Also thinking about stretching the foot on that as much as possible to make a bigger target.

Extended left foot box (Raceway). Maybe not necessary, but I think good for "confidence factor" as I won't have to keep wondering if I left my "leg" a couple turns back ...

Also got a set of pullback risers for the handlebar (ROX Speed FX) that will give me a a better reach. (Did I mention I got a shiny new total reverse shoulder courtesy of the accident?) Not sure if I'll still be able to use the stock cables, but it looks like they'll work. Anybody know a source for extended cables, feel free to clue me in.
I've also heard good things about the hydraulic damper upgrade (UralNE), as it's supposed to reduce any wobble that can still happen with the standard friction damper. Another plus for "confidence factor". Thoughts on that?

That's it so far. Anything I missed? The bike is in excellent shape mechanically as it was maintained by a mechanics instructor at the local state university. Lots of accessories and spare parts as well, so I'm ready to start tinkering.

Oh. Here's my baby ...

Last edited by sKiZo on Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Evil Kneivel? He got nuttin' on me!
2011 Ural T
Handicap mods include Raceway foot box, tank shifter w/reverse, and DIY rear brake pedal mods.

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: Left Leg Amputee Mods

Post by gobium » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:21 pm

Congrats
You need a mean k9 to combat UDF.

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by chaos2 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:24 pm

Nice find! Good luck with your mods, I share your feelings about other 3 wheelers, they just don't have that same motorcycle experience . Sean's vw steering damper kit is probably a better choice but I'm not seeing it on ebay, maybe someone can chime in if he's still selling them.
Last edited by chaos2 on Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, and a Citroen.
Now an 87 K75s, DB Haanjo gravel bike, and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

siberman1
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by siberman1 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:51 pm

Where are you? You can add location to your signature....to help others think of what you may/may-not need.

I have the UralNE steering damper. It was sort of "free" with the machine. It makes very slow steering a little harder, but add a little speed and everything works fine.

You may want to keep an eye out for a rear luggage rack that fits on top of the spare tire. Depending on what you like, a windshield of some sort is nice to have. It kills more bugs slowly. I ride in winter, so a windshield is nice to have.

Welcome to Ural world!

YMMV
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

Penrod

Post by Penrod » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:04 pm

rps20181130_113516.jpg
Email Sean0262@yahoo.com
I highly recommend his R3W Steering Damper, over 15,000K on mine. I have handled Uralne's version and Sean's is heavier duty. Easy install, fully set up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2015 cT Special Edition Dark Force
Live in Maine. Retired.

rivers

Post by rivers » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:09 pm

Nice. Yeah the Raceways hand/tank shifter for fwd/R/N would be a good option you. I've got that set up, works well. The left foot box or a cheaper variation would be nice for rough roads when you need to stand some. I've never been impressed with any of Ural's hyd steering dampers. Think if I was going the hyd route I go with Seans (member here).
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Penrod

Post by Penrod » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:11 pm

rps20190422_140739.jpg
I also carry a scissors jack hose clamped to the back of the luggage rack. It's out of the way but accessible. You never know when you might want it. Getting the bike on the center stand without it is impossible for a short, light weight old guy like me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2015 cT Special Edition Dark Force
Live in Maine. Retired.

jeffsaline

Post by jeffsaline » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:38 pm

Try contacting Motion Pro customer service about custom cables. I've never used them but from what I hear from guys that have used them is they are fast, quality and inexpensive.

For the steering damper... I just installed a Sean's R3W Steering Damper on my 2010 Gear Up. Install took about 20 minutes taking my time and the results are as advertised. No more jerking or wobbling of handlebars. And as was already noted, slow speed takes a tad more effort but is not overboard in my opinion. I would do it again. I think Sean recently posted his next batch might be two months out, so maybe that makes it the later part of May.

Best,

Jeff
Jeff Saline
2010 Gear Up
-Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two
-Just because something isn't true, no reason you can't believe it. Hub McCann Second Hand Lions
-Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

DrFaulken

Post by DrFaulken » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:17 pm

Welcome!

I encourage you to reach out to Chris Kaag, he's a Ural owner, founder of the I'm Able Foundation. Chris has a degenerative neurological condition and doesn't have use of either of his legs. He may be able to share his experience in riding a Ural completely "by hand."

https://www.instagram.com/chriskaag/

America By Sidecar -- follow us! Instagram || YouTube || Facebook || Blog

2018 Ural GearUp Sahara

Site supporter: 2018, 2019

sKiZo
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by sKiZo » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:29 pm

wOw ... you guys are quick!

- Updated location in my profile. Greetings from Western Michigan!
- Added an avatar. You can probably tell I'm not much into windshields. ;-}
- Ordered the Sean's R3W damper per your sage advice.

Too late on the spare tire rack ... I already pulled the extra wheel off. I'll probably regret that, but I've got good road service, and I don't see me doing much in the way of side of road repairs. The scissors jack still sounds like a good idea as any roadside service might not have something small enough to fit under the bike.

The left foot box is more to keep my "foot" from wandering around. I'd hate to not have it and find out I lost the leg a couple turns back ... dOH! I'm also told it's a lot better for standing onto the bike than a peg that I'd have to hunt for.

... and I've made notes on the custom cables (still hoping to get away with stock) and contact info on the I'm Able Foundation.

Oh. And I also just ordered an ABATE watch for motorcycles yard sign and some vehicle stickers. Maybe get a couple hundred of those and plaster the SUV that got me. (mutter mumble)

Again ... thanx kindly! I think I'm gonna like this place!
2011 Ural T
Handicap mods include Raceway foot box, tank shifter w/reverse, and DIY rear brake pedal mods.

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Post by S 854 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:38 pm

There was a guy somewhat in the same boat as you... he installed a bungee on his left footbox to keep his “foot” in place... can’t remember who it was but a very clever solution for his dilemma
'07 Arctic: The Russian Raucous Ship

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out...

siberman1

Post by siberman1 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:50 pm

sKiZo wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:29 pm

...snip..... The scissors jack still sounds like a good idea as any roadside service might not have something small enough to fit under the bike....snip

Again ... thanx kindly! I think I'm gonna like this place!
Be sure to have the correct/incorrect-but-works tool to make the jack work.

Yeah, I have added a cheapo yard-sale scissor jack. It is a Toyota one, about $5. Also add a piece of 2"x6" DF-something to support it.

One can usually (here anyway)find a small 12v air-pump for under $15 at Army-Navy Surplus stores, nice to have along on rides. I carried one all the way to Vladivostok, even crashed and case broken, it still worked. Google Vladivostok if you don't know where that is, heh heh....

If you take stuff off the bike you don't want, then be sure to put an ad in Black Market to find new owners...just sayin....

YMMV
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

sKiZo
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by sKiZo » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:38 pm

siberman1 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:50 pm
I carried one all the way to Vladivostok, even crashed and case broken, it still worked. Google Vladivostok if you don't know where that is, heh heh....
Indiana, right? <G>

I also plan to put the "bulletproof tire liners" in. I used those on my fat tire trail bikes with good results - at least I never got a flat using them. I've even got an extra set here that should fit the Ural rubber.

While on the topic. I hear the stock tubes are pretty sad - any suggestions for an upgrade there? I'll have to break down the tires for the liners, so good time to think on that.

S 854 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:38 pm
There was a guy somewhat in the same boat as you... he installed a bungee on his left footbox to keep his “foot” in place... can’t remember who it was but a very clever solution for his dilemma
I'd probably kill myself trying to get off and forgetting to unhook the bungie. <G>

The extended footbox has a pretty tall lip around it that should prevent the foot from slipping off. I'll give that a go and keep the bungie in mind. Maybe a velcro strap instead ...
2011 Ural T

Waffl6

Post by Waffl6 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:47 pm

sKiZo wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:29 pm

Too late on the spare tire rack ... I already pulled the extra wheel off. I'll probably regret that, but I've got good road service, and I don't see me doing much in the way of side of road repairs. The scissors jack still sounds like a good idea as any roadside service might not have something small enough to fit under the bike.

The left foot box is more to keep my "foot" from wandering around. I'd hate to not have it and find out I lost the leg a couple turns back ... dOH! I'm also told it's a lot better for standing onto the bike than a peg that I'd have to hunt for.
Are you selling that spare tire and holder...?
Probably the youngest guy in the room.

Current bikes: 1987 Rebel 250, 1990 Ninja 500, 2009 Honda Shadow 750, 2006 CBR600F4I, 2011 Ural Patrol T - A real POS

Past bikes: 1994 Katana 600

Fairfax Virginia

sKiZo
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by sKiZo » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:28 pm

Not sure. I figure to get the thing set up proper and then decide. I gotta admit, it looks a lot better without it now that I've modded the tail lights ...

In my head anyway ... with a little help from Photoshop. Dug thru the bins and found a couple old school tombstone combo lights. I'll put high output LEDs in the turn signals, but leave the old soft glow tail/brakes - with an LED panic bar over the license plate.
2011 Ural T