Making of an under seat storage

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
ctydecks

Making of an under seat storage

Post by ctydecks » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:37 pm

Hi,
I have a 2008 Ranger and I am looking at an under seat storage option without paying top dollar ! Is it possible as also the back seat has to be moved upwards ?
Has anyone a suggestion ? Or done some work similar ? I have seen the new Urals offer this really useful storage compartment . But as an aftermarket accessory its US $ 450 which is to steep .
Thank you
Christian

sKiZo
Party Member
Party Member

Re: Making of an under seat storage

Post by sKiZo » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:17 pm

Can't say as I've looked under the seat on mine (just got it a couple weeks back), but I remember the old VW microbus had a similar seat. It was just attached to a wood platform with a wide lip, and that slipped tight into a sturdy wood box and locked on with pins at the corners.

You could just leave the box loose - I'm sure the passenger and seat belt will hold it in place in the event of a rollover. ;-}

PS - good thread. Got me thinking about one more possible mod here. This stuff is addictive, and the list keeps on growing!

... and in case you were wondering what you'd be working with ... caution ... naked tub shot ahead!

sKiZo
Party Member
Party Member

Post by sKiZo » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:26 pm

One brainfart here --- if you're looking for storage more convenient than the trunk, hinge the seat so it folds forward, then make a box for behind it. Tradeoff is you lose trunk space. Win some, lose some, eh.

sKiZo
Party Member
Party Member

Post by sKiZo » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:34 pm

OK, one more thought and I'll leave you to your own devices. Hinge the seat as earlier suggested, but mount something like a fishing tackle box (only sturdier) to the back of the seat. You could even put small stuff in that as the lid will hold it in while traveling. Probably rattle a bunch, but small stuff tends to do that.

I think that would be slick for things like glasses, lighter, pens, etc. I'd also maybe add a divider in the trunk and put a slot on that for maps and paper and flat whatevers.

(With that, it's officially on my project list. Thanx!)

snowymonkey
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by snowymonkey » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:04 am

I went in a slightly different direction.....

4D0037A4-2BBA-4FB5-BF67-90B3C39A1631.jpeg
997E8FDC-AED8-4E2B-A98E-48FE423B56F9.jpeg
FDAB984A-3566-4EF2-9E72-2A798AB72DEE.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“ The music moves me, but it moves me ugly” - Nickoli

2008 Ural Patrol - “Toothless”

Lake City Florida

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:32 pm

Don't know where y'all getting this underseat space from, on mine it's almost on the floor apart from a piece of wood across the front that lifts it a bit at the front; there's a wee bit of space underneath but anything in there much thicker than an inch lifts the back of the seat up (I've tried it). So does that mean the later seat cushion design is thinner to enable the underseat storage space?
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Wed May 01, 2019 1:35 pm

Mr Wazzock wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:32 pm
Don't know where y'all getting this underseat space from, on mine it's almost on the floor apart from a piece of wood across the front that lifts it a bit at the front; there's a wee bit of space underneath but anything in there much thicker than an inch lifts the back of the seat up (I've tried it). So does that mean the later seat cushion design is thinner to enable the underseat storage space?
On the newer bikes they used a formed plastic tray that creates room under the seat.
Not sure if the pad is thinner. It's definitely better upholstered.
A similar set-up can be done with the old wood base seats.
The simplest way would be to move the center piece of wood, make two side pieces of slightly thinner material and then attach jack handle, tools etc to underside of seat.
Designing an actual storage tray would take a little more engineering but not a lot more.
TBH the trunk is so big I have never thought about needing to add cargo space under the seat.

I've always thought there is a lot of wasted space on the "ceiling" of the nose.
A small cargo net/mesh pocket suspended from the ceiling would be a great place for a monkey to store her purse, a jacket or raingear etc.
Using a net or mesh means no knocked knees getting in/out.
This location would be less about adding space and more about making a space the monkey can easily access stuff.

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Wed May 01, 2019 4:49 pm

That is actually a good idea :bow:

I was just thinking about the new tubs with the underseat storage, vs the previous, with none, I can't see how it can be done without raising the seat up, so is my seat actually lower? Looking at this, could be:

https://www.ural-shop.com/en/seats/386- ... black.html
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Wed May 01, 2019 8:02 pm

The storage under the seat is nice as it frees up space in the trunk as one can move seldom used items there. I keep my jack, tire pump, large tire irons, spare tube, rags, and a few other odds and ends. the seat padding is thinner, but according to my wife its more comfortable.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

ctydecks

Post by ctydecks » Sat May 04, 2019 3:26 am

Hello fellow Uralists,
thanks for all the suggestions and ideas.
...to let you know; i actually never seen the new Ural with the under seat storage in person !
I seen how others had put an ammo box underneath the sidecar, which I might consider ! If I struggle to put my idea into practice !
... the idea of "BinDerSmokDat" about the net in the foot compartment is a good one! But i use 2 small narrow rectangular bag attached with magnets in the foot compartment as my wifey is small and relative short , and she still has plenty of space for her to wiggle !
Cheers
Christian

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Sat May 04, 2019 6:20 am

I've always thought there is a lot of wasted space on the "ceiling" of the nose.
A small cargo net/mesh pocket suspended from the ceiling would be a great place for a monkey to store her purse, a jacket or raingear etc.
...or a throw-bag filled with a long tow rope. :wink:
-
2019-05-04 06.18.41.jpg
2019-05-04 06.18.55.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "The Patrol", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

snowymonkey

Post by snowymonkey » Sat May 04, 2019 8:08 am

I like the under the nose idea. I could throw a decent med kit under there.

I also love the Air nose storage. I got to see it in person last week at FUBAR. I wish IMZ would release that as a Kit. It looked pretty straightforward. I know each sidecar is slightly different, but I bet that could be accomplished with a decent rubber seal.
“ The music moves me, but it moves me ugly” - Nickoli

2008 Ural Patrol - “Toothless”

Lake City Florida

Penrod

Post by Penrod » Sat May 04, 2019 1:37 pm

rps20190504_133917.jpg
ctydecks wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:26 am

I seen how others had put an ammo box underneath the sidecar, which I might consider !
This is a 40mm ammo can from www.Quadratec.com Available in black or od.
This is a cT and I don't ride off road. It is just a bit lower than the sidecar frame.
2015 cT Special Edition Dark Force
Live in Maine. Retired.