Paint Top Coat Recommendations

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
petermertos
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:38 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Paint Top Coat Recommendations

Post by petermertos » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:32 am

INSUBORDINATOR wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:49 pm
lendrinkard wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:05 pm
I used spray on polyurethane and then coated the seams with boat vanish. My 2012 has held up pretty well.
I have also had good results with spray EXTERIOR POLYURETHANE Spar Varnish over more delicate finishes. It can become fuel resistant when fully cured, & very tough. It comes in gloss or matte. If you have spray equipment it can give an interesting toned down effect, using brown or other colors mixed in. IF I used it on a fuel tank I'd be very careful for a while when filling, & have a paper towel handy. I have found a piece of fine wire screen placed in the tank opening, after fill up, limits fuel sloshing while moving. These were sold as accessories for older Urals probably to catch debris in gas, but sure worked to eliminate fuel splashing.
Is there a reference to the particular product? Interested in matte varnish.

Going to use Meticulous Matte Detailer & Spray Sealant for now.
2012 Solo
1999 BC

Portland, OR

User avatar
INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Posts: 3593
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:13 am
Location: North Georgia Mountains

Re: Paint Top Coat Recommendations

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:27 pm

petermertos wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:32 am
INSUBORDINATOR wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:49 pm
lendrinkard wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:05 pm
I used spray on polyurethane and then coated the seams with boat vanish. My 2012 has held up pretty well.
I have also had good results with spray EXTERIOR POLYURETHANE Spar Varnish over more delicate finishes. It can become fuel resistant when fully cured, & very tough. It comes in gloss or matte. If you have spray equipment it can give an interesting toned down effect, using brown or other colors mixed in. IF I used it on a fuel tank I'd be very careful for a while when filling, & have a paper towel handy. I have found a piece of fine wire screen placed in the tank opening, after fill up, limits fuel sloshing while moving. These were sold as accessories for older Urals probably to catch debris in gas, but sure worked to eliminate fuel splashing.
Is there a reference to the particular product? Interested in matte varnish.

Going to use Meticulous Matte Detailer & Spray Sealant for now.
Home Depot's PAINT DEPT has it. Can't remember the brand, but they all have it - UV Proof is in Green Rattle Cans. They have both Matte, & Gloss. The Gloss is always toughest. All good for many uses.
Current Motorcycles: Improved 2002 Ural Tourist.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

User avatar
cateyetech
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Posts: 1541
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:23 am
Location: 72801 Russellville Arkansas
Contact:

Re: Paint Top Coat Recommendations

Post by cateyetech » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:14 am

Hey galcoste

That's our favorite color :D :lol:
Fall foliage and red dirt :lol:
IMG_20190202_163916.jpg
WP_20170627_08_41_38_Pro__highres.jpg
WP_20170627_15_37_53_Pro.jpg
:D

Also as stated earlier and over on the HD forum is Spray Max 2K
https://www.amazon.com/U-S-Chemical-Pla ... B0043B7UQY
I have not used this but have read several positive reports and they say it's Very Good :)

Good Luck
from one of the pumpkin pack

:foilhead:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Charlie ╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
2003 Gear-Up Ромашка Мзй
765cc - Mikuni TM33 carburetors - Modified stock airbox with Uni foam filter
2-1 exhaust - Hand worked cylinder heads - Type V ignition system
A Warn XT17 witch that works from any angle - More handmade parts than I can list :foilhead:

The only Ural to post a second gear wheelie :evil:

2000 Patrol Teh Урал
Thanks DaveO, I'll try to ride it like you, I'll try :foilhead:

glacoste
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:19 am
Location: nh

Re: Paint Top Coat Recommendations

Post by glacoste » Tue May 07, 2019 4:10 pm

thumbnail - 2019-05-07T160605.051.jpg
Found Some!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2013 Gear-up

glacoste
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:19 am
Location: nh

Re: Paint Top Coat Recommendations

Post by glacoste » Thu May 09, 2019 1:01 pm

thumbnail - 2019-05-09T125420.912.jpg
thumbnail - 2019-05-09T125414.081.jpg
Top coating went on today.
Next .. sidecar fender install.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2013 Gear-up

User avatar
windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Posts: 7578
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:17 am
Location: Kent, Wa

Re: Paint Top Coat Recommendations

Post by windmill » Sat May 11, 2019 9:20 am

glacoste wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:10 pm
thumbnail - 2019-05-07T160605.051.jpgFound Some!
Very good choice, I used the semi matt clear on a WW2 Coleman stove I restored. Its totally fuel proof, stands up to the heat, and is tough so it doesn't scratch or mar.
IMG_3171.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

User avatar
INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Posts: 3593
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:13 am
Location: North Georgia Mountains

Re: Paint Top Coat Recommendations

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Sat May 11, 2019 1:19 pm

Lmo wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:00 pm
It's holding up pretty well, considering my old Dnepr fuel tank cap leaks like a sieve. I never fill the thing all the way up because it tends to "weep".
Here is a FIX for fuel slosh - that escapes the lid. European part dealers sell a fine screen drop in strainer (probably to clean dirty gas) I happened to buy one for my 1994 650 Ural with a batch of other parts. I was thrilled & surprised to find it remedied sloshing fuel escaping, by catching & diffusing the waves, worked even when tank was very full.
Bet it will work for you to. You could make make one from extra fine screen. The "ready made" one was very easy to get out for quicker tank filling with clean USA Gas.

Best wishes, C.
Current Motorcycles: Improved 2002 Ural Tourist.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

User avatar
cateyetech
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Posts: 1541
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:23 am
Location: 72801 Russellville Arkansas
Contact:

Re: Paint Top Coat Recommendations

Post by cateyetech » Sat May 11, 2019 3:13 pm

glacoste wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 1:01 pm
thumbnail - 2019-05-09T125420.912.jpgthumbnail - 2019-05-09T125414.081.jpgTop coating went on today.
Next .. sidecar fender install.....
:thumbsup:

:foilhead:
Charlie ╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
2003 Gear-Up Ромашка Мзй
765cc - Mikuni TM33 carburetors - Modified stock airbox with Uni foam filter
2-1 exhaust - Hand worked cylinder heads - Type V ignition system
A Warn XT17 witch that works from any angle - More handmade parts than I can list :foilhead:

The only Ural to post a second gear wheelie :evil:

2000 Patrol Teh Урал
Thanks DaveO, I'll try to ride it like you, I'll try :foilhead:

wyowillys46
Comrade General
Comrade General
Posts: 594
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:52 am
Location: The Rockies
Contact:

Re: Paint Top Coat Recommendations

Post by wyowillys46 » Sat May 11, 2019 4:08 pm

petermertos wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:49 pm
I would recommend spray max 2k matte clear coat if you want matte finish.
This is the only stuff you should be using. Only use it outside though. The isocyanates will f$&@ your lungs up.
Morgan

'06 Gear-Up
195? M72/K750 hybrid

User avatar
Lmo
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Posts: 5072
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:19 pm
Location: Pismo Beach via So. Indiana

Re: Paint Top Coat Recommendations

Post by Lmo » Sun May 12, 2019 12:03 pm

European part dealers sell a fine screen drop in strainer
I have one. I think it's more the fuel cap itself; the retaining tabs seems weak. I tweaked them up a tad, and added two gaskets to help 'preload' them but it still weeps fuel if I fill the tank all the way. So I dont'...

Image
Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

User avatar
windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Posts: 7578
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:17 am
Location: Kent, Wa

Re: Paint Top Coat Recommendations

Post by windmill » Wed May 15, 2019 12:52 am

Lmo wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 12:03 pm
European part dealers sell a fine screen drop in strainer
I have one. I think it's more the fuel cap itself; the retaining tabs seems weak. I tweaked them up a tad, and added two gaskets to help 'preload' them but it still weeps fuel if I fill the tank all the way. So I dont'...

I ran both KMZ and Dnepr tanks on my 07 Patrol, both used the same cap and both weep some. No thickness or type of gasket eliminated it, and the filler screen didn't make the slightest difference.
I also tried several style of caps, the only thing that worked was not filling the tank all the way.
Last edited by windmill on Wed May 15, 2019 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

User avatar
windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Posts: 7578
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:17 am
Location: Kent, Wa

Re: Paint Top Coat Recommendations

Post by windmill » Wed May 15, 2019 12:57 am

wyowillys46 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:08 pm
petermertos wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:49 pm
I would recommend spray max 2k matte clear coat if you want matte finish.
This is the only stuff you should be using. Only use it outside though. The isocyanates will f$&@ your lungs up.
Its the only spray paint I've used that is actually fuel proof.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

Post Reply