LED light bar and brake light flasher added to 2017 Gear-up

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
davek
Comrade
Comrade

LED light bar and brake light flasher added to 2017 Gear-up

Post by davek » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:36 pm

This mod has been finished and road tested. I am documenting it here in case anyone is interested. (Pics below)

The light bar is actually a trailer light by Optronicsinc.com (STL78RK). It met my needs and has a little three-wire pig tail that provides decent protection against water ingress. After much consideration I decided that I would bolt it onto the frame that holds my spare fuel tank. It was just a matter of drilling a couple holes and mounting with short SS bolts and nylock nuts. I spliced some leads onto the wires from the light and put heat-shrink tubing over the splices.

Next I made a small hole in the trunk and added a grommet through which I inserted the roughly six inch spliced lead. Inside the trunk I spliced again and ran jacketed wires up the left side and under the seat back, making a right turn behind the plastic seat frame and up along the right side of the tub. I drilled another hole just behind the step through and routed the jacketed wires through that.

I decided to mount my Signal Dynamics "Back-off" flasher module under the step into the tub. This location provided a convenient place to tie-wrap the module and also allowed easy access to the existing brake/tail light wiring of the sidecar. After cutting and splicing everything I used Tesa wire looming tape to pull everything together and protect the splices. Tesa makes great wire wrapping tape, black cloth laminated to a rubber backing that sticks well. I used tie-wraps to secure the harness and cables to keep things from flopping around. If not interested in the Back-off flasher, no need reading past this point.

Back-off flasher addendum

As currently wired my flasher modulates the center and right brake lights only. The motorcycle brake light behaves normally. This is because I did not want to split a harness to find the wire feeding the motorcycle brake light, since I had a trip planned and didn't want any unintended consequences. I did however stub out and cap a wire so that in the future I could run a feed wire from my modulator up to the necessary location and cut/splice as needed.
Light bar.JPG
Ural light bar grommet location.JPG
Ural brake light splice.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dkollen
Brookings, OR

Current rides:
2017 Gear-up
w/ off-road package, Givi windshield,
and black, ceramic-coated high-rise exhaust
1972 Suzuki GT550 (being restored)

Previous rides
2005 Goldwing, 2000 Kawasaki W-650
200x BMW R1200C, 2002 BMW K1200
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500, 1974 Kawasaki KZ400
1974 Kawasaki KZ750, 1973 Honda CL450
1972 Suzuki GT550 (not the same one as above)
(2) 1972 Suzuki TS250,
1971 Yamaha RT 360, 196x Honda 50 "pasture rider"