EJK Settings - my notes (might be useful for others)

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
Eric N
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

EJK Settings - my notes (might be useful for others)

Post by Eric N » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:58 pm

As I fine tune the EJK, I figured I'd post my notes. My main elevation is 5,800' but I bought the bike to use in the mountains.

2018 Gear Up
1,700 miles
Stock engine except K&N air filter and EJK
Offroad Map
Lean in zero, toe in set where hands can be off handlebars at 50mph and go straight
Tire pressure 36 front and side, 40 pusher Stock tires.
20W50 dino oil (will switch to synthetic now that engine is breaking in).

Current EJK Settings:
Green - 1.5
Yellow - 2.0
Red - 0.5
Transition zones - factory EJK

Rode to the top of Mt Evans, 14,131 feet (summit is short hike), no problems bike maintained good power on the climb.
39.94 mpg on tank, city/ highway/ mountain driving.
85 octane E10, slight knocking at 7,000' while climbing moderate hill at 55mph in 4th. Will try 87 octane E10 next.
Accelerated to 70mph going up I-70 eastbound on-ramp at Evergreen. 80mph coming down the hill was spooky, 65 was comfortable.
Slight popping when cold under 2,000 rpm both in city and in mountains.
Last edited by Eric N on Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2018 Gear Up
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

Yakatak
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: EJK Settings - my notes (might be useful for others)

Post by Yakatak » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:02 pm

Which Ural tune are you using?
2014 Ural Gear Up - Asphalt

Eric N
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Eric N » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:16 pm

Oh my bad, the current offroad map.

Initial post updated. Thanks!
2018 Gear Up
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:07 pm

Thicko question :D - remind me why the EJK was added?
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:34 pm

EJK info link http://electronicjetkit.com/EJK-tuning.asp i also would like to know if this kit is good for the technically challenged EFI Ural driver. :cheers:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

Eric N
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Eric N » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:31 pm

Hey Mike,

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-ratio ... igh-speeds

The short answer for why I installed the EJK is "Urals are toys, play with them!". :D

There's a range of settings with any engine, where we choose between power and fuel economy. It's not static, but multiple settings through the whole powerband.

A carburetor adjusts with jet size, needle size/ shape/ taper. The electronic fuel injection does this through a mapping process. I enjoy dialing in carbs, it's something of an art but very rewarding.

The stock offroad Ural map wasn't giving me quite what "I" wanted out of my bike. I wanted to tweak the "carbs". Each of us plays with our toys in different ways. You have previously commented that you're totally happy with the stock settings, and that's cool. In my case, I was not.

By installing the K&N I leaned the bike out slightly. I want to have a range where I can cruise with minimal need for power and maximum fuel economy. Going over 200 miles before I run out of gas would be nice. I also wanted a range where I would have maximum power, at the cost of fuel economy. I drive forest roads, offroad, and fuel economy isn't my priority if I need to get up a steep hill. The stock Ural offroad map did not meet those needs. My tweaking is getting me pretty close.

The EJK for the Ural cannot subtract fuel. The only way for me to lean the bike was the K&N. If I find I need leaner, I'll buy a different airbox lid and cut the snorkel, but I don't feel I need to go there yet. The EJK does allow me to add fuel. That shifts my powerband closer to the 12:1 air fuel ratio for maximum power.

I understand many people are happy with the offroad map. My impression is the stock non-offroad map had the air-fuel for maximum efficiency. Probably pretty close to 16:1, the bike will run, get great gas mileage, may pop and fart and run hot. The offroad map is still lean, but closer to 14:1. The K&N/ EJK combo lets me fine tune that.

Hotflash - The Ural kit is https://www.electronicjetkit.com/Cruise ... er=9120450 I had tried to order from Dobeck directly but at the time they needed parts. After a month I spent a little more $$ but bought mine from Ural NE and had it in a couple days. The installation is just a few connectors, wasn't hard once I understood what they were trying to say. The stock settings are for the non-offroad map, weren't right for my bike but would probably be spot on for someone with the original map.
2018 Gear Up
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:25 pm

OK! :thumbsup:

Ta muchly
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

54vintage

Post by 54vintage » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:30 pm

Did you rent their SAFR tool to get your settings?
Chuck Loftin
2002 BMW GSA with 2005 Ural tub
2014 Sage Green GU....off to a new home

1974 R90S----gone
2009 G650GS---outtahere

Eric N
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Eric N » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:02 pm

54vintage wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:30 pm
Nope, butt dyno, noting how easily I can pull up the same hills, and watching my mileage. I'm speculating where on the A/F scale I am, I suspect based on other things that I'm still lean of 12:1 but that's fine. I enjoyed the 39mpg over my last 440 mile trip over several mountain passes.

The EJK has a flat enrichment profile over three programmable zones. The EFI map isn't flat. It's possible to use a tool like the SAFR, or any homemade A/F sensor, to dial in for a specific part of the map, but I don't believe it will be perfect outside of that. A dyno tune may produce better results, would allow seeing the curve and deciding where to be on it, without needing to drill holes in the exhaust.

The tune one would want for highway will be different from the tune one would want offroad. One nice thing on the EJK it is's very quick to program.

I'm just playing around, finding what works for my style of riding.
2018 Gear Up
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

ridenfly
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by ridenfly » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:13 pm

Nice report. A few questions. How are you determining your mileage? GPS. odometer? Are the speeds by GPS? Are you monitoring CHT and/or oil temp?
My experience with that kind of MPG you must be running lean. It seems you are not babying the bike, ie. 45mph cruise.
2003 Patrol Goslovna 140,000k +
A proud member of the Patrol Patrol
1986 SP200 Suzuki for narrow trails
my first car was a new 1954 HD 74 panhead

MountainPeakCruiser

Post by MountainPeakCruiser » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:34 pm

Eric N wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:02 pm
54vintage wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:30 pm
Nope, butt dyno, noting how easily I can pull up the same hills, and watching my mileage. I'm speculating where on the A/F scale I am, I suspect based on other things that I'm still lean of 12:1 but that's fine. I enjoyed the 39mpg over my last 440 mile trip over several mountain passes.

The EJK has a flat enrichment profile over three programmable zones. The EFI map isn't flat. It's possible to use a tool like the SAFR, or any homemade A/F sensor, to dial in for a specific part of the map, but I don't believe it will be perfect outside of that. A dyno tune may produce better results, would allow seeing the curve and deciding where to be on it, without needing to drill holes in the exhaust.

The tune one would want for highway will be different from the tune one would want offroad. One nice thing on the EJK it is's very quick to program.

I'm just playing around, finding what works for my style of riding.
Hey Eric,

Any updates? Are you still enjoying the last EJK settings that you posted on here?

I’m riding a 2017 GearUp in CO Springs (w/ latest off-road map) with similar mountain rides in mind for my bike, so your settings profile might be a great baseline for me to play with. I get the EJK kit tomorrow but I haven’t tracked down a K&N filter for it yet.

Eric N
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Eric N » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:41 pm

Hey MountainPeakCruiser,

Welcome to the board!

The K&N is https://www.knfilters.com/air-filters/ural/gear-up, you can get them on Amazon.

I'd have to check my settings. Sorry, bike's buried right now but I'll have it out tomorrow. I started playing with the snorkel and other things, but what I posted at the start of this thread was really good for the stock airbox and K&N. I may have dialed the green down a little, that's below 2200 rpm give or take and I stay above 2500 rpm for most riding. I fiddled with the red but dropped it back down, bike ran worse with more fuel in the red zone at 5000+ rpm.

For the person asking how I determine mileage, the speedometer on the 2017+ bikes is a modern electric not the guess-o-meter, it's pretty accurate, has a digital odometer that reads in miles. I use that fairly accurate digital odometer, then divide the amount of fuel I add to the tank, and come up with my mileage. If you feel the need to GPS it, and weigh the fuel tank after each fill to make sure it's perfectly constant, that's cool. I'm fine with my good enough approach. I'm not monitoring CHT or oil temps, when a Ural is hot it runs different, the 2018 hasn't given me overheating symptoms. If it does, I'll monitor, until then it's not something I'm concerned with.
2018 Gear Up
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

MountainPeakCruiser

Post by MountainPeakCruiser » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:36 am

[quote="Eric N" post_id=696407 time=1561596066 user_id=10422]
Hey MountainPeakCruiser,

Welcome to the board!

The K&N is https://www.knfilters.com/air-filters/ural/gear-up, you can get them on Amazon.

I'd have to check my settings. Sorry, bike's buried right now but I'll have it out tomorrow. I started playing with the snorkel and other things, but what I posted at the start of this thread was really good for the stock airbox and K&N. I may have dialed the green down a little, that's below 2200 rpm give or take and I stay above 2500 rpm for most riding. I fiddled with the red but dropped it back down, bike ran worse with more fuel in the red zone at 5000+ rpm.

For the person asking how I determine mileage, the speedometer on the 2017+ bikes is a modern electric not the guess-o-meter, it's pretty accurate, has a digital odometer that reads in miles. I use that fairly accurate digital odometer, then divide the amount of fuel I add to the tank, and come up with my mileage. If you feel the need to GPS it, and weigh the fuel tank after each fill to make sure it's perfectly constant, that's cool. I'm fine with my good enough approach. I'm not monitoring CHT or oil temps, when a Ural is hot it runs different, the 2018 hasn't given me overheating symptoms. If it does, I'll monitor, until then it's not something I'm concerned with.
[/quote]

Thanks Eric! And I appreciate the info. I will be installing the kit this week. I’ll report back.