Burly Saddlebag

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
cateyetech
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Burly Saddlebag

Post by cateyetech » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:44 pm

I saw this bag come into the shop 8)
Dam :twisted: Dallas the parts man :lol:
and instantly liked the look :D
and the more I handled it the more I liked it :roll:
so a few months later..... :lol:
WP_20171210_14_21_33_Pro.jpg
WP_20171210_14_22_49_Pro.jpg
WP_20171210_18_44_34_Pro__highres.jpg
WP_20171210_18_45_10_Pro__highres.jpg
WP_20171210_18_45_41_Pro__highres.jpg
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bur ... pXN4suCzWE

It's about the same size as the early style OE not fuel or water can
and I think it would look good on the right front (US rigs) of the tub too :wink:

It's well built, but it is a light load/personal items bag due to the mounting system.
You can easily remove the bag while still loaded :D

Just one more option to choose from :)

:foilhead:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Charlie ╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
2003 Gear-Up Ромашка Мзй
765cc - Mikuni TM33 carburetors - Modified stock airbox with Uni foam filter
2-1 exhaust - Hand worked cylinder heads - Type V ignition system
A Warn XT17 witch that works from any angle - More handmade parts than I can list :foilhead:

The only Ural to post a second gear wheelie :evil:

2000 Patrol Teh Урал
Thanks DaveO, I'll try to ride it like you, I'll try :foilhead:

stagewex

Re: Burly Saddlebag

Post by stagewex » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:06 am

That certainly looks "Burley".
Is that a shock cover on you front shock?
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250
2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:41 am

I'm not seeing any mounting holes on the webpage items. Did I miss something?
Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

cateyetech

Post by cateyetech » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:32 am

stagewex wrote:That certainly looks "Burley".
Is that a shock cover on you front shock?
Hey SW
Those Burley bags are for Cateye cycles :lol:

Yes, I run Moose ATV shock covers on all 5 :lol: shocks to keep the dust and mud out :)
Lmo wrote:I'm not seeing any mounting holes on the webpage items. Did I miss something?
Hey Lew

No, they don't show them :?
I just went to their site for the first time and I didn't see any pictures of them
but they show it briefly in this video :)

Charlie ╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
2003 Gear-Up Ромашка Мзй
A Warn XT17 witch that works from any angle - More handmade parts than I can list :foilhead:

2000 Patrol Teh Урал

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:39 pm

5:12 on the Revzilla video. Still not sure I'm seeing the mounting holes, unless they are hidden by a flap. So, price is "each"; $400 to do both side PLUS hardware (that you will have to fabricate yourself).

Lew Morris
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:09 pm

You must've quit looking Lew. 5:25 onward clearly shows the holes and how they mount to the brackets.

They look well made. But you are paying for the brackets, which only fit certain HD bikes. So, they are a bit pricey for a Ural where you have to make your own brackets.

I must say that Charlie's homemade brackets look more Ural correct than the Burley brackets. Nice job, Charlie.

Love the "pocketbook" crack in the video. I'm sure that killed sales to the guys who have a bike to compensate for some shortcoming. I wonder if Richard Simmons owns a Ural?

w@* canvas actually holds up pretty well to a soaking rain. Those bags would do well in a driving rain if they had done a better job of designing the top flap. They actually made two scoops that will funnel water right into the bag while under way, w@*ed canvas or not. Nothing makes wide open spaces waterproof. Otherwise, I think you'd have to be in a really bad downpour for a very long time for properly designed w@*ed canvas bags to leak any appreciable amount.

I am also not a fan of snaps on flexible items where you have to somehow back up both sides of the snap to get it to close. Maybe the sides are rigid enough that it is not necessary to back up that side. If that is the case, then they probably are adequate. But since there is already Velcro on the top flap, why not use Velcro everywhere. Velcro is very military. Only Morty Seinfeld could hate a bag that uses Velcro.

The Burley logo in the leather has to go, too. Should be a label on the inside. Never saw the words "designer" and "vintage" or "military" used in the same sentence.

They certainly look like they belong on a Ural.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:23 pm

[quote="Snakeoil"]You must've quit looking Lew. 5:25 onward clearly shows the holes and how they mount to the brackets.

They look well made. But you are paying for the brackets, which only fit certain HD bikes. So, they are a bit pricey for a Ural where you have to make your own brackets.

I must say that Charlie's homemade brackets look more Ural correct than the Burley brackets. Nice job, Charlie.

Love the "pocketbook" crack in the video. I'm sure that killed sales to the guys who have a bike to compensate for some shortcoming. I wonder if Richard Simmons owns a Ural?

w@* canvas actually holds up pretty well to a soaking rain. Those bags would do well in a driving rain if they had done a better job of designing the top flap. They actually made two scoops that will funnel water right into the bag while under way, w@*ed canvas or not. Nothing makes wide open spaces waterproof. Otherwise, I think you'd have to be in a really bad downpour for a very long time for properly designed w@*ed canvas bags to leak any appreciable amount.

I am also not a fan of snaps on flexible items where you have to somehow back up both sides of the snap to get it to close. Maybe the sides are rigid enough that it is not necessary to back up that side. If that is the case, then they probably are adequate. But since there is already Velcro on the top flap, why not use Velcro everywhere. Velcro is very military. Only Morty Seinfeld could hate a bag that uses Velcro.

The Burley logo in the leather has to go, too. Should be a label on the inside. Never saw the words "designer" and "vintage" or "military" used in the same sentence.

They certainly look like they belong on a Ural.

Charlie, you gotta trade those nylon shock covers in for a set of w@*ed canvas covers. :wink:
Regards,
Rob
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains

cateyetech

Post by cateyetech » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:41 pm

Lmo wrote: So, price is "each"; $400 to do both side PLUS hardware (that you will have to fabricate yourself).
Hey Lew

Your math is correct :)
good thing I only need one :lol:
If you get everything it's $1000 :shock:

Snakeoil wrote:

I am also not a fan of snaps on flexible items where you have to somehow back up both sides of the snap to get it to close. Maybe the sides are rigid enough that it is not necessary to back up that side. If that is the case, then they probably are adequate.

Charlie, you gotta trade those nylon shock covers in for a set of w@*ed canvas covers. :wink:
Hey SO

The bags come each and the mounting brackets come in a pair and are sold separately :shock:

Thanks but the first is always rough, like Ural :lol:

The flap snaps mates are mounted to straps with both ends attaches to the main body
so you can get your finger under it from the outside :)

But it is a little snappy (2 on the straps & 4 on the flap) for me and at Ural speed doesn't seam to be a requirement :lol:

The video reviews are sucky, if I didn't get to handle it first I wouldn't have got it :(

I looked at some canvas shock covers before I went with these, they had drawstrings and I didn't really like that feature :lol:

Charlie ╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
2003 Gear-Up Ромашка Мзй

2000 Patrol Teh Урал

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:44 am

You must've quit looking Lew. 5:12 onward clearly shows the holes and how they mount to the brackets.
I should have noted 5:12 onward... there's conflicting information here, some views show the bags with the holes, some don't. Wonder if there are two versions (?) Machts nicht! We know they're there.

Man... . a stack for saddlebags. I need a new set of Krausers (Hepco Becker) for my /5, and they are only $800 (with the mounts).

But the Burly bags do look "period authentic" . . .. :wink:

edited for sp
Lew Morris
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:17 pm

I should have noted 5:12 onward... there's conflicting information here, some views show the bags with the holes, some don't. Wonder if there are two versions (?) Machts nicht! We know they're there.
I think you need to take an extra spoonful of Geritol in the morning Lew. :wink:

Seriously, I think your confusion comes from the front of the bags looking like they are the rear of the bags. At least that is how they appear to me. The vid shows two bags with the fronts facing you. You would think that Lemmy (not sure I'd want that displayed on my shirt) would have had one bag with the front showing and the other with the back showing. But I don't imagine they are paying union scale for actors and writers for their vids. So, you get what you get. At least they don't put you to sleep like Ural NE vids.

Charlie, $1000.00 if you buy everything??? Holy crapola. They are $400 EACH!!?? They need to remove the Burley Logo and put Harley Davidson on them for that kind of pricing. That would make the $5.00 worth of metal bracketry $200.00? YIKES!

There must be an unlimited supply of drugs at Burley. Or maybe they are using the old Dennis the Menace business plan. Dennis is at his lemonade stand and the sign says, "Lemonade, $5.00 a Glass". Dennis says to Joey, "I only gotta sell one glass.".

Charlie, you may have single-handedly put them half way down the road to achieving their business plan with your purchase. :boogie:

Sorry man. Don't mean beat up on you. The bag really does look good on the Ural. And if it puts a smile on your face, it's worth every penny.

I expect Burley will be sending you a Christmas card... DAMN! I just can't help myself! :oops:
Regards,
Rob
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains

cateyetech

Post by cateyetech » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:34 pm

Snakeoil wrote:
Charlie, $1000.00 if you buy everything??? Holy crapola. They are $400 EACH!!?? They need to remove the Burley Logo and put Harley Davidson on them for that kind of pricing. That would make the $5.00 worth of metal bracketry $200.00? YIKES!

There must be an unlimited supply of drugs at Burley. Or maybe they are using the old Dennis the Menace business plan. Dennis is at his lemonade stand and the sign says, "Lemonade, $5.00 a Glass". Dennis says to Joey, "I only gotta sell one glass.".

Charlie, you may have single-handedly put them half way down the road to achieving their business plan with your purchase. :boogie:

Sorry man. Don't mean beat up on you. The bag really does look good on the Ural. And if it puts a smile on your face, it's worth every penny.

I expect Burley will be sending you a Christmas card... DAMN! I just can't help myself! :oops:

Hey SO

$1000 is for 2 saddle bags-2mounts -1tank/tail bag-1 tool roll-1 backpack :lol:

I paid less than $150 :D for mine
the boss loves me and let's me have all my stuff at cost :bow:
and used scrap to make the mount :D

But Burly (aka Motorsport Aftermarket Group) needs the money :lol:

http://www.maggroup.com/

https://www.dealernews.com/Home/post/ma ... 2017-11-17

Charlie ╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
2003 Gear-Up Ромашка Мзй

2000 Patrol Teh Урал

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:00 pm

$150 for that bag is a great price. I don't think you could make it for that money and feed yourself from your labors.

I heard about MAG and Tucker-Rocky. TR used to be based just down the road from me.

I think the financial woes of these companies is not so much the poor bike market as it is how they do business. I think they are all trying to conquer the world and spending way too much money on overhead not to mention expanding their product lines to an excess. When you see these smaller companies scooped up by investment capital firms, you can be sure that their goal is to bleed them dry and then toss the remains to the curb. Google Nordic Track and read the history of that company. They were doing great until they were purchased from the original owners/creators and the business plan totally replaced with something "better". Didn't go too well. Same thing happened to Troy-Bilt roto-tillers company, Garden-Way. Spread themselves too thin rather than focus on their core strengths. Got into wood stoves, exercise equipment and more. They imploded. The name is still around. Owned by Murray or Briggs and Stratton I think. The company is long gone and with it, some great products. I interviewed one of their VPs for a job back around 2000.
Regards,
Rob
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:54 pm

Nothing new. Same thing happened to Indian Motorcycles (the "Real" Indian) in 1952-1952. Same old story.
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250
2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:43 pm

They do look right on the bike,s & seem well designed & made. Little rich for me though.

Seems like I've seen thick leather replica German Wehrmacht Sidecar bags + mounts coming out of China for much less.
Last edited by INSUBORDINATOR on Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Motorcycles: Improved 2002 Ural Tourist.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

cateyetech

Post by cateyetech » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:13 pm

UPDATE

The bag has held up well, NOT water proof in a down pour but does well in moderate rain.
The mud and grit from the rear tire just brushes off :)

But I originally wanted to mount this on the outside nose of the sidecar :( for Ms cet's personal stuff :)
The rear bracket was quick to build so it ended up there :o
But the days are getting longer so I have more time to tinker :D

So here's what we ended up with :D
WP_20180327_08_03_07_Pro.jpg
WP_20180327_08_03_30_Pro.jpg
WP_20180327_08_26_08_Pro.jpg
WP_20180327_08_26_28_Pro.jpg
WP_20180327_08_26_54_Pro.jpg
WP_20180327_08_27_27_Pro.jpg
WP_20180331_13_17_27_Pro__highres.jpg
WP_20180331_13_17_46_Pro.jpg
WP_20180331_19_18_14_Pro.jpg
we have a nylon thak bag to use on the hack
WP_20170628_08_46_55_Pro.jpg
but you know I couldn't resist the Burly bag :lol:

I wanted the versatility of removable luggage (with out tools) that didn't require modification to the tub
and didn't have a mounting bracket that was sticking too far out.

I know it's not a cheep or easy option :(
but things I like usually aren't :foilhead:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Charlie ╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
2003 Gear-Up Ромашка Мзй

2000 Patrol Teh Урал