Auxbeam LED bulb

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Auxbeam LED bulb

Post by windmill » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:36 pm

Sometimes cheap and simple is best, $25.99 for 2 bulbs, https://www.amazon.com/Auxbeam-Headligh ... m+h4&psc=1
88623528_6.jpg
Simple plug and play with no external ballast boxes, drivers, relays, or fan. The emitters are located and shielded identical to a standard Halogen bulb so it doesn't mess with the optics. A bit brighter than the Sylvania Silverstar, and only draws 50W on both beams.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

Daisy Cutter
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: Auxbeam LED bulb

Post by Daisy Cutter » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:39 am

would this work in the spot light as well to turn it into a driving light?
Mike
North Alabama
2017 Ural Gear Up
2018 Harley Sportster Iron 1200
2018 Royal Enfield Classic 500

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:59 am

Thanks for posting Barry!

:thumbsup:
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:46 pm

Daisy Cutter wrote:would this work in the spot light as well to turn it into a driving light?
The OE spotlight takes a H1 bulb and its reflector isn't engineered to be a proper "headlight".

I got a Hella H4 5 3/4" reflector https://www.amazon.com/Hella-002850871- ... B00F3ZTW56 so I can wire it up to function as a 2nd headlight, but won't know for sure if it's all compatible Until I take delivery of my M70 in a couple weeks.

Just a FYI, there's tons of LED bulbs out there in a wide range of prices, but not many have the emitters configured and shielded to function correctly in a standard old school reflector housing.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2018 M70

faf680

Post by faf680 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:47 pm

Pardon the obvious and stupid question here (brand new to the scene here, just bought a motorcycle and went to engineering school but never did any auto repair work in my life), but you said this was plug and play...I don't see any connection to the bike does the bottom of that thing screw off? (Sometimes cheap and simple is best, $25.99 for 2 bulbs, https://www.amazon.com/Auxbeam-Headligh ... m+h4&psc=1) I'm looking to replace the attached. I know....I know....the shame of it all, try not to look directly at me as I ask this! So did you already have a different housing when you popped in those bulbs?

In the last seven days: I replaced the spark plugs that had all but rusted shut and ordered the correct size and length spark plug cables , attached a new battery (didn't shock myself miraculously), discovered the fuel switch needs to point downward to actually supply fuel enough to start the bike, how the chokes work, and here we are in week two....looking forward to Saturday someone is going to teach me how to ride and actually switch gears. But first about how to get those LED bulbs in there...

Any explanations are not only welcome, but strongly encouraged.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
---------------------
Regards,
Fred
Chang 750 M1M <-- Or at least that's what the guy who sold it to me said it was :cheers:
Attorney, Engineer, Recovering CEO, Family Man, DIY Adventurer, Overcompensator . . . Depends on the Day Really . . .

Daisy Cutter
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Daisy Cutter » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:27 pm

windmill wrote:
Daisy Cutter wrote:would this work in the spot light as well to turn it into a driving light?
The OE spotlight takes a H1 bulb and its reflector isn't engineered to be a proper "headlight".

I got a Hella H4 5 3/4" reflector https://www.amazon.com/Hella-002850871- ... B00F3ZTW56 so I can wire it up to function as a 2nd headlight, but won't know for sure if it's all compatible Until I take delivery of my M70 in a couple weeks.

Just a FYI, there's tons of LED bulbs out there in a wide range of prices, but not many have the emitters configured and shielded to function correctly in a standard old school reflector housing.
Gotcha, Thanks
Mike
North Alabama
2017 Ural Gear Up
2018 Harley Sportster Iron 1200
2018 Royal Enfield Classic 500

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:39 pm

faf680 wrote:Pardon the obvious and stupid question here (brand new to the scene here, just bought a motorcycle and went to engineering school but never did any auto repair work in my life), but you said this was plug and play...I don't see any connection to the bike does the bottom of that thing screw off? (Sometimes cheap and simple is best, $25.99 for 2 bulbs, https://www.amazon.com/Auxbeam-Headligh ... m+h4&psc=1) I'm looking to replace the attached. I know....I know....the shame of it all, try not to look directly at me as I ask this! So did you already have a different housing when you popped in those bulbs?

In the last seven days: I replaced the spark plugs that had all but rusted shut and ordered the correct size and length spark plug cables , attached a new battery (didn't shock myself miraculously), discovered the fuel switch needs to point downward to actually supply fuel enough to start the bike, how the chokes work, and here we are in week two....looking forward to Saturday someone is going to teach me how to ride and actually switch gears. But first about how to get those LED bulbs in there...

Any explanations are not only welcome, but strongly encouraged.
Urals sold in North America come with standard H4 reflectors. Looks like you have the old domestic market reflector, You will need to replace yours to use the LED. https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-002395991- ... B0002M9QJM
Barry

2018 M70

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:53 am

Sometimes cheap and simple is best
Ordered a set. Though I already have an effective Cyron LED "bulb" installed (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00REQVA ... UTF8&psc=1), these were inexpensive enough for me to order 'em for a little comparison testing. :wink:
brand new to the scene here
Welcome aboard, faf680. Please take an opportunity to update your signature line with your location and year/model of your Ural/Dnepr/Chang. This information gives context to readers of your posts.
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "The Patrol", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

mattzahr
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by mattzahr » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:18 am

Ordered the Cyron and the Auxbeam....loser of the two goes on the Harley.......
'16 cT - Terracotta aka Orange
Proud member of the "Group W Bench"

Ironhand
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Ironhand » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:08 pm

How does the pattern look? I tried an OPT7 LED retrofit in both the stock and a better "E code" Cibie reflector. The light is obviously much better, but in both cases, the pattern was all over the place.
2015 Ural Gear Up
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2008 Honda XR650L
2003 Yamaha FZ1

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. —Mark Twain

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:19 pm

Tomcatfixer wrote:Ordered a set. Though I already have an effective Cyron LED "bulb" installed .
mattzahr wrote:Ordered the Cyron and the Auxbeam....loser of the two goes on the Harley.......
Definitely interested in an actual side by side comparison by folks with no vested interest in either.

My choice was made strictly on research of various on line sources. It led me to believe that in old school round reflecters LED bulbs with a triangular configuration like the Cyron appear brighter, but they have issues with glare and less throw on low beam, and a compromised high beam.
Barry

2018 M70

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:39 pm

Ironhand wrote:How does the pattern look? I tried an OPT7 LED retrofit in both the stock and a better "E code" Cibie reflector. The light is obviously much better, but in both cases, the pattern was all over the place.
I did a side by side comparison with the Auxbeam and Halogen bulb. Shining them on a wall at 10' and looking directly at them with welding goggles, other than a slightly softer cutoff with the Auxbeam the pattern seems to be well controlled. On the road the Auxbeam lights things up more above the cutoff, but it appears to be simply because its brighter overall rather than poorly controlled. Subjectively, facing it 100' away it doesn't seem to glare any worse than headlights on late model cars.

Poorly done headlight retrofits that cause dangerous glare are a real sore point for me, and I refuse to be "that guy". I'm comfortable with how the Auxbeam LEDs function.

I had the Halogen in a Bosch E code, and the Auxbeam in a Hella E code.
Barry

2018 M70

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by chaos2 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:47 pm

windmill wrote:Sometimes cheap and simple is best,
Yeah, there might be some worthwhile LED H4's out there but so far I've had better results with halogen bulbs, especially with pattern and longevity. I don't really have any complaints with the old fashioned bulbs and can wait for led's to weed out the crappy ones.
past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, and a Citroen.
Now an 87 K75s, DB Haanjo gravel bike, and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:25 pm

chaos2 wrote:
windmill wrote:Sometimes cheap and simple is best,
Yeah, there might be some worthwhile LED H4's out there but so far I've had better results with halogen bulbs, especially with pattern and longevity. I don't really have any complaints with the old fashioned bulbs and can wait for led's to weed out the crappy ones.
I commute a good part of the year in the dark and wet, and todays car headlights have gotten so bright they overwhelm the OE light. I tried Higher wattage Halogens which do work good to achieve parity, but I've had bad luck with them burning out in less than a year.
Since the Auxbeam is engineered to function correctly in a standard reflector unlike most LED retrofits, and they're only a couple dollars more than Halogen bulbs I figured it was time to give them a try.
Barry

2018 M70

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by chaos2 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:12 pm

interested to see how these fare. I had a couple led's that burnt out in less that a month, gave up on them for the time being
past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, and a Citroen.
Now an 87 K75s, DB Haanjo gravel bike, and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener