M70 windscreen

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
sallen
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: M70 windscreen

Post by sallen » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:41 pm

windmill wrote:I really like those military windscreens, but I've read that the soft portion poses some problems in extended use, and at freeway speeds?
I've never seen any references to them being used on a M70 or Retro, but since they're so similar to the M72 they were designed for I suspect there wouldn't be a fitment issue.
My highway speed is around 55/60, haven't had any problem. There are stiffeners that go into the apron to support it at higher speeds.
Not sure what problems you've heard of, but would be happy to send you pics of the wind screen from all angles with measurements. It's a very simple setup
19?? Dnepr MT16

2008 Gear Up / Orange camo
130/45 one shim
drilled slides

A statement I live by.
Panic is a luxury you can afford after it is all over.

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:51 pm

sallen wrote:
windmill wrote:I really like those military windscreens, but I've read that the soft portion poses some problems in extended use, and at freeway speeds?
I've never seen any references to them being used on a M70 or Retro, but since they're so similar to the M72 they were designed for I suspect there wouldn't be a fitment issue.
My highway speed is around 55/60, haven't had any problem. There are stiffeners that go into the apron to support it at higher speeds.
Not sure what problems you've heard of, but would be happy to send you pics of the wind screen from all angles with measurements. It's a very simple setup
Pictures, and where you got it from would be great, assuming it isn't the usual NOS Soviet era windscreen.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

mr. cob
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by mr. cob » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:25 pm

Howdy Barry,

I have tried to call you, email you, PM you for over two years with no response, I was wondering if you were OK, had moved or what happened. Call me.

Dave
Mr. Cob

Driver of the "Predator" a highly modified 2005 Gear-Up.

Driver of the "Canyon Acrobat" a 2008 Gear-Up, this rig is now driven primarily by "Mrs. Cob"

Driver of the "Kraken", 2014 Asphalt Gray Gear-Up that will be used to prove out and test parts for the new generation of Fueli rigs.

My Photo galleries, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

Join "Smugmug", click this link and save some money, https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:45 pm

mr. cob wrote:Howdy Barry,

I have tried to call you, email you, PM you for over two years with no response, I was wondering if you were OK, had moved or what happened. Call me.

Dave
Hi Dave, Good to hear from you!

Other than working my backside off, I've been doing fine in the same old place. You're not the first person who's said they've had a hard time contacting me. I don't know whats up with that, maybe because I use outdated systems. Madina has been teasing me about still using yahoo e-mail.

Haven't been on my rig in 4 months, been having a regular yet sporadic electrical issue and haven't had any luck tracking it down. Suspect it' gonna require a major rewire.

BTW, I haven't gone crazy, I've always had a secret lust for the M70 and Retro, 1wd and all. I placed a custom order to be in on the first shipment of 2018's.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2018/20 M70

mr. cob
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by mr. cob » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:15 pm

windmill wrote:
mr. cob wrote:Howdy Barry,

Dave
Hi Dave, Good to hear from you!

Other than working my backside off, I've been doing fine in the same old place. You're not the first person who's said they've had a hard time contacting me. I don't know whats up with that, maybe because I use outdated systems. Madina has been teasing me about still using yahoo e-mail.

Haven't been on my rig in 4 months, been having a regular yet sporadic electrical issue and haven't had any luck tracking it down. Suspect it' gonna require a major rewire.

BTW, I haven't gone crazy, I've always had a secret lust for the M70 and Retro, 1wd and all. I placed a custom order to be in on the first shipment of 2018's.
Howdy Barry,

PM me your contact information, after not being able to get a hold of you for two years I assumed you had moved away and so I deleted all your contact information.

Dave
Mr. Cob

Driver of the "Predator" a highly modified 2005 Gear-Up.

Driver of the "Canyon Acrobat" a 2008 Gear-Up, this rig is now driven primarily by "Mrs. Cob"

Driver of the "Kraken", 2014 Asphalt Gray Gear-Up that will be used to prove out and test parts for the new generation of Fueli rigs.

My Photo galleries, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

Join "Smugmug", click this link and save some money, https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6

Peterpiper938
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Peterpiper938 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:58 am

Hi Barry

I bought a National Cycles Heavy Duty beaded windshield for mine. Mounting's a challenge because of the headlight. If going this route don't use the holes in the headlight bracket for mounting as they will develop stress cracks. I made brackets for lower mounts to the fork bolts, and upper to the handlebars ( similar to the Ural factory windshield mount ). Definitely not quick release. If I can figure out how to post pictures, I will ( if you're interested ). Good luck with the new bike, it's a way more comfortable ride than the Gear up.

Peter
2014 M70
former rig
2007 Arctic

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:37 am

Peterpiper938 wrote:Hi Barry

I bought a National Cycles Heavy Duty beaded windshield for mine. Mounting's a challenge because of the headlight. If going this route don't use the holes in the headlight bracket for mounting as they will develop stress cracks. I made brackets for lower mounts to the fork bolts, and upper to the handlebars ( similar to the Ural factory windshield mount ). Definitely not quick release. If I can figure out how to post pictures, I will ( if you're interested ). Good luck with the new bike, it's a way more comfortable ride than the Gear up.

Peter
I originally planned on using a a Ural windscreen with snap in vents like on my Patrol, but the folks at IMWA told me the same thing about not using the headlight bracket. They mentioned the possibility of some new windscreens, but things like that can be hit or miss due to manufacturers balking at niche items.
It looks like I may have to fabricate something to get what I want, but was really hoping to avoid that.
Barry

2018/20 M70

sallen

Post by sallen » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:47 am

M72-2 windshield.jpg
Windshield mounting arms made from steel round stock from Lowes.
I've been running this windshield for 3+ years on my Ural and over6 years on my Dnepr with out any sign of stress cracks
Need to retake other pics taken with my phone, files were to large
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
19?? Dnepr MT16

130/45 one shim
drilled slides

A statement I live by.
Panic is a luxury you can afford after it is all over.

reduc
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by reduc » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:39 pm

Hey Barry, Welcome back!
Jason
2010 Gear Up (OD Green) http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/view ... 11&t=22029
Windmill MKIII airbox
Full Mod-Top exhaust
Gossie needles with the clips in the 2nd & 3rd slots from the top (out of 6)
Slides drilled
45 idle jets
132.5 main jets
Mixture screw 2 1/4 turns out
Mr Cob skid plate

2004 BMW R1150GS
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
1965 Triumph TR-6 S/R

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:13 pm

Barry, Flyguy has one of those windscreens, like Sam's, on his Retro and he seems to enjoy it. You could also PM him for details.
2017-10-10 14.10.58.jpg
2017-10-10 14.11.48.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "Little Red Bear", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", Mid-Nineties Ural Tourist "The Heap", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

Eric N
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Eric N » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:14 pm

Hey Barry - Any luck on the windscreen?

I'm considering a M70, also prefer the cruiser style windscreens but am not having any luck finding something that will work with the key location.

Not sure if a CJ750 windscreen would fit http://www.changjiang750sidecar.com/par ... _bike.html

I could probably rig another National Cycle Dakota like on my Patrol and just mount it higher or cut a larger headlight hole for key room, but would like a cleaner install an quick release as well.
Cemetery.jpg
2018 Gear Up
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:21 pm

Eric N wrote:Hey Barry - Any luck on the windscreen?

I'm considering a M70, also prefer the cruiser style windscreens but am not having any luck finding something that will work with the key location.

Not sure if a CJ750 windscreen would fit http://www.changjiang750sidecar.com/par ... _bike.html

I could probably rig another National Cycle Dakota like on my Patrol and just mount it higher or cut a larger headlight hole for key room, but would like a cleaner install an quick release as well.
Cemetery.jpg
Eric, since my bike is still in the factory being built I haven't made any progress..... :P

The key on the M70 is on the top of the headlight shell, and I have a similar retro shell on my patrol, so I don"t foresee that being an issue.

The national cycle plexistar 2 looks practical, is sort of quickish release, but kinda fugly. The dakota is great looking, but I'm not sure I can adapt their quick release mounts without major fabrication. The folks at IMWA mentioned they might have some new windscreens to "test" by the time my new rig arrives late november, early december.

We shall see......
Barry

2018/20 M70

Red Dwarf
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Red Dwarf » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:55 pm

I've got a National Cycle Plexifairing3 on my Retro.
http://www.nationalcycle.com/plexifairing-mt.html

I cut 8" off the top so I could see the road directly ahead without looking through plastic.
Also makes a cover fit better.
Fits the bike perfectly. Almost unbelievably perfectly. Near custom-quality fit.

No noises, no buffeting, no fastener issues.
Only problem encountered was occasional sun reflections off the concave parts near the bottom.

My wife--who claims such things are important--says it looks really good.
2012 Retro

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:27 am

Red Dwarf wrote:I've got a National Cycle Plexifairing3 on my Retro.
http://www.nationalcycle.com/plexifairing-mt.html

I cut 8" off the top so I could see the road directly ahead without looking through plastic.
Also makes a cover fit better.
Fits the bike perfectly. Almost unbelievably perfectly. Near custom-quality fit.

No noises, no buffeting, no fastener issues.
Only problem encountered was occasional sun reflections off the concave parts near the bottom.

My wife--who claims such things are important--says it looks really good.
I'm probably going to go with the Plexifairing GT as I will be running leg guards. The "plexi" series seems to be the only solution that will keep the key switch behind the screen, and the turn signal in front of it.
Barry

2018/20 M70

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:17 pm

I finally settled on the Plexistar 2. Having it in hand, I find its quality much better than expected for a fairly inexpensive universal fit windscreen. I had a Slipstreamer mini police on my Patrol for a short time, and found it to be rather challenged in the quality department.

Once I get my new rig I'll report back how I like it compared to the OE Ural fairing.
Barry

2018/20 M70