iKon Suspension for Urals

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
Lee Pape
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: iKon Suspension for Urals

Post by Lee Pape » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:51 am

Snakeoil wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:23 am
Since Roger has not responded, I suspect he is up to his elbows in events and just taking care of business.

Billy G has the test shocks and is still evaluating them. We've discovered a new fit-up issue, which is one of the reasons for testing these on multiple bikes and with different riders.

I'm sure Roger will pipe up here when he gets a free moment.
I ran into the same trouble with my Gazi shocks. They test fitted them on new bike when they made them back in 2012. When I tried to install them on my 2007 I had issues. I had to make a longer brake reaction link to rotate my caliper forward.

The reaction link I made it the top one.

We may not have it all together,
But, together we have it all.

2007 Tourist "The un-named-one"
Riding and working on Urals since 2000.

jaybird
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin
Location: The foothills of the Forked River Mountains, West Barnegat NJ (Do It In The Pines!) 08005

Post by jaybird » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:38 pm

Then there are guys like me, still have the original shocks on my 2005 Gear UP with 110k+ hard Kilos. No leaks, still rides like a brick :lol:

Happy trails,
Jaybird
2005 Gear-Up, Mr. Nat_ural 108,000+ Kilometers and counting
2013 Retro, Black beauty, AKA Lucky "13"
1995 Olive Tourist
1975 Enfield Diesel Bullet
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

roscoau
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by roscoau » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:34 am

jaybird wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:38 pm
Then there are guys like me, still have the original shocks on my 2005 Gear UP with 110k+ hard Kilos. No leaks, still rides like a brick :lol:
The aim is to NOT have it ride like a brick. 😱
2009 Tourist with the chair on the left where it should be...

Urals in Australia

IkonUSA

Post by IkonUSA » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:07 am

In the case of many motorcycle shock absorber manufacturers, when they decide to introduce a new fitment, it's a case of determine the length (always measured between centers of the mounting bolts) of the shock required and well, that's it. Eh voila, they have a new listing for their fitment catalog. This approach can lead to several problems, from fit, to damping issues, to spring selection most suitable for the application. That's before we get into 300lbs rider vs 100lbs rider etc.
The shocks are then released to the general global market and problems immediately arise which detract from the unit's quality, if indeed it has any redeeming features to begin with.
The Ikon project for Ural applications has and continues to be very interesting in terms of designing a shock absorber which is an improvement over OEM, spring rates (which can be proportionately graded up or down depending on stated load weights) and damping characteristics suitable for a 3 wheeled vehicle. Very different criteria than say the 7614 Series Ikons fitted to the Atkins-Greeves racer which won the Classic TT at the Isle of Man. Yet some manufacturers will push a 'Universal' shock based on length, not application.
The Ikon unit being evaluated by list members for Ural fitment does not presently exist in the Ikon catalog. When released, it will be Ural specific.
The unpaid volunteers in this project from the SS list have provided exceptional feedback and enthusiasm to boot. Thanks to them for their assistance without which, this project couldn't even be considered.
We're close, but we're not quite there just yet. Rest assured, the SS list will be the first to know when I send in the final design to the Ikon factory in Australia.

roscoau
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by roscoau » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:22 am

IkonUSA wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:07 am
We're close, but we're not quite there just yet. Rest assured, the SS list will be the first to know when I send in the final design to the Ikon factory in Australia.
And once you do I'll be on their doorstep waiting, since I'm only just down the road from them. 😀
2009 Tourist with the chair on the left where it should be...

Urals in Australia

BillyG
Thread Killer
Thread Killer

Post by BillyG » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:34 pm

I have finished (finally) beating on the test shocks and springs. Unfortunately I had an issue on the rear position with the shocks hitting the swing arm frame and not being able to reach the upper mount. The longer bottom mount on the sidecar shock would work on the left rear but not the right rear again, due to striking the swing arm weld. I could have ground down the weld...but with my luck there would have been a hole or it would have cracked so I pussed out. So my testing was done sans rear shocks. If I could have fit the rears...I probably would have never send them back...all I will say now is they are veeeeeeeeeery nice. Just running the front shocks was like...wow..night and day difference over my 16 year old Russian rebuilders.
Bill Glaser
2002 Ural Patrol "CYKA"
300,000 km's since May 1st 2002
The "Unofficial Ural Service Manual" can be viewed at: http://www.myural.com

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:14 pm

When I ran them, I wish I could've figured out how to compress the springs, so I could've swapped 'em out for the stiffer version. The damping action was very nice, but the installed springs were undersprung for my weight (and all the crap I bolted to the Mobile Chernobyl).
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "The Patrol", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:02 am

:lurker:

Thinkin' there might be a market for "performance" guts and new springs for the old rebuild-able Russian shocks...
Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:15 pm

Lmo wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:02 am
:lurker:

Thinkin' there might be a market for "performance" guts and new springs for the old rebuild-able Russian shocks...
Definitely a market for those !
Current Motorcycles: 02 Ural Tourist, 2010 modified Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:25 pm

Gotta wonder if the internals vary from year to year.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:11 am

Gotta wonder if the internals vary from year to year.
Well, mine sure varied internally; springs and damper valves were different (some had one "notch", some had two). The heavy internal compression spring was always over compressed.
2 notch.jpg
One notch.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lew Morris
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:12 am

Here's the "two notch" version.
2 notch.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lew Morris
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:59 am

I have not taken a close look at my 2000 vintage shocks. Not sure they are rebuild-able. But looking at the internals of your shocks, not sure they are worth rebuilding. That's some pretty primitive looking stuff.

What would be great is if someone like IKON could make a cartridge that dropped into the body of the Russian shock. That would give you modern damping. Just sitting here thinking, a cartridge would eliminate the need for finding seals. A polymer space is probably all you would need to assure a snug fit with the OEM nut installed. Of course it would require that the top eye be removable from the shaft in order to accomplish this.

I would think that finding progressively wound replacement springs would be less of a challenge.

The downside to all this is the market size for the old Russian shocks is probably very small making development costs nearly impossible to recoup, unless you charged a fortune for the kits, which pretty much defeats the purpose of making kits. Cheaper to just buy new shocks.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:04 pm

A princely sum is usually what Ikons cost... I paid $400 for the two on my R75/5. I think I priced custom wound spring for my Ural shocks at around $60 each, but that would drop significantly in volume. IIRC, I based my quote request on 50 pieces.
Lew Morris
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:13 pm

I Can't & Won't spend what IKON s cost. I was able to find an excellent pair of aftermarket, old style PAIR of OIL FILLED shocks, for my Royal Enfield, that were nicer, & functioned better than those it came with, for $99. I have been dismayed to find out how soon gas filled shocks leak out.
This has put me off gas shocks. The old Oil filled Girlings & Armstrongs lasted decades on my British bikes, & have done well for me, even when used aggressively.
If my current Ural shocks Die - I will have to use them (unless they lock completely up). Finding a viable rebuild solution, or a satisfactory AFFORDABLE aftermarket import stock is the only option I have. I usually manage to work something out, but so far my 2002 shocks are holding up.
Current Motorcycles: 02 Ural Tourist, 2010 modified Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."