iKon Suspension for Urals

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
Claus
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: iKon Suspension for Urals

Post by Claus » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:13 pm

https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... Gz1LrWOtuf

US-site of IKON. Ural application on page 43
owned bikes: 93 Ural rig domestic model, 95 Suzuki DR 659 RSE, BMW R100GS, Suzuki GSX1100G rig, BMW R100R rig with Ural sidecar, Ural rig with BMW drivetrain under construction,

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:54 am

Ref
Ural Ikon.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

Glazier
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Glazier » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:57 pm

what are they charging?
2000 Patrol
2007 Tourist
1979 Hard tail Shovel Head

Claus

Post by Claus » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:44 am

I can´t speak for your country. In Europe one pair of Ikon shocks costs € 395 in average...
owned bikes: 93 Ural rig domestic model, 95 Suzuki DR 659 RSE, BMW R100GS, Suzuki GSX1100G rig, BMW R100R rig with Ural sidecar, Ural rig with BMW drivetrain under construction,

IkonUSA

Post by IkonUSA » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:27 pm

With the conclusion of the 'Ikon Flat-Trackers' 18 months R&D program finally and successfully concluded with several convincing wins by the RC Racing Components team with the new Ikon Flat-Trackers at Salem Raceway Oregon notched up, focus is now on the Ikon series specifically for Urals.

As those following the project will likely be aware, 3 list members have assisted with the development of the Ikon design to suit Urals and I'm submitting final design specs to the Ikon factory in Australia next week.

It's been an interesting development period, with more than a few 'issues' encountered, not common to other marques. For example, the clevis (fork) lower mount dimensions, went through 3 dimensional changes as what fits one Ural, didn't necessarily fit the next one and so on. Consistency of measurement and welding technique evidently varies widely at the Ural factory. We just weren't used to working with such imprecise measurements.

Spring rate selection became a subject of much debate between the group of volunteers, with what I'd generally term a heavier spring rate being preferred by all when it came to road holding improvements. Evaluators became quite adept at changing out springs to try the different rates. The damping qualities of the Ikons were universally praised to be superior to the OEM units, so I was pleased that we had nailed the valving pretty much at the onset of the program.

Evaluation volunteers received a set of 5 Ikon fixed damping Ikon units, chrome bodies with a selection of black powder coated and variously rated springs. The same set was shipped from one evaluator to the next to ensure product continuity. The group also offered a varied approach to shock installation on their outfits which although outside the realm of this program, made for interesting reading.

Allowing for weight distribution differences, handling and ride quality preferences, the following 5 evaluation points were observed and commented on after installation and road test:

i) Do Ural front forks perform better with a softer or harder spring?
ii) Should the sidecar have a softer or harder spring?
iii) Does the rear of the bike benefit from harder or softer springs?
iv) If different (mixed) spring rates exist on a Ural outfit, is the overall handling harmonized and ride quality improved?
v) Evaluate damping performance.

Of course, we all have different expectations and ride preferences i.e. solo, with passenger, with gear etc. not to mention individual weights in riding gear and off-road performance. There's a lot of factors to consider and physics tells us that a single spring rate (with all these variables) is no more than a compromise.

Consequently, we'll offer a choice of spring rates which will be supplied fitted to the Ikon units at the time of purchase. The purchaser will be able to specify load carried and their preference for a hard or soft ride quality. Hint: if you want to get your outfit cornering best it can, opt for a harder spring as that will help eliminate the inherent wallow experienced with the OEM units.

There will be several US manufactured unique installation parts included in an accessory pack which will be Ural specific. The intention being to offer out of the box and on to the bike installation without having to source additional hardware.

Personally, it's been a very interesting project to work on. Apart from owning a '53 650 BSA A10 outfit with Busmar chair back in my mispent youth in the UK, this was my first venture into a model specific suspension system for a sidecar outfit. Delving into leading link fork operation and sidecar loads, not to mention Ivan's often dubious manufacturing practices, there was much to learn, so I really must commend the 3 unpaid volunteers recruited from this Soviet Steeds list for their enthusiasm and outstanding feedback to help move a Ural specific Ikon to the cusp of production. And while on the subject, I'd like to graciously thank the assistance afforded the project by Snakeoil whose dedication, enthusiasm and assistance was nothing short of outstanding. I really don't think we'd be preparing to offer such a good product to fit Urals if it wasn't for his help. Sincere thanks indeed to all the volunteers and I look forward to meeting the group in person one day.

So, with the specs going in to final design by Ikon company owner Geoff Lowe in Australia, there's just a few more details to address, namely chrome/black finish combination(s), I.D. graphics, packaging a suitable product name for them and last but not least, pricing. While not confirmed yet, it looks like we're on target for a set of 5 shocks to customer's specification at sub $ 700 US plus shipping from PA and they will also be available in pairs for front, rear or (single) sidecar.

Availability will be late spring / summer 2019 from Ikon Suspension USA only.

Thank you for your patience and enthusiasm.
Cheers,
Roger

roscoau
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by roscoau » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:08 am

Living not far from Albury you'll need at least one set available from Ikon Australia HQ!
2009 Tourist with the chair on the left where it should be...

Urals in Australia

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Wed May 01, 2019 2:29 pm

$700 for 5 shocks is $140/pc.
Considering the Sachs they are replacing go for $190 a pop, that is a very fair price.
Especially when you consider they will come with hardware to fit all years and your choice of spring rates.
And as been said before in this post, designed and tested for what WORKS on a Ural, not what FITS a Ural.

The last time I had my engine out I could push the shocks in a little easier than I recall on previous swaps.
And swinging through curves in WV mountains with a monkey, I know they are not damping like they use to.

BlueRockCrawler
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by BlueRockCrawler » Thu May 02, 2019 6:52 pm

:bow: :friday: Thank you for your dedication. I hope to be able to give you my money soon. Thanks to the test pilots as well.
2015 Ural Patrol
1993 Suzuki DR 650
2018 Suzuki DR 650
previous Honda's were
1996 750 Magna
2002 750 shadow A.C.E.
2004 919
1985 500 Magna

Happytrails

Post by Happytrails » Fri May 03, 2019 3:08 pm

BinDerSmokDat wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 2:29 pm
$700 for 5 shocks is $140/pc.
Considering the Sachs they are replacing go for $190 a pop, that is a very fair price.
Especially when you consider they will come with hardware to fit all years and your choice of spring rates.
And as been said before in this post, designed and tested for what WORKS on a Ural, not what FITS a Ural.

The last time I had my engine out I could push the shocks in a little easier than I recall on previous swaps.
And swinging through curves in WV mountains with a monkey, I know they are not damping like they use to.
-JR

2018 Ural GearUp, Urban Camo
1991 Honda Goldwing SE

"riding is good therapy"

Tin Man
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tin Man » Sun May 19, 2019 5:45 pm

Sounds good to me....... :lurker:
Mike
2007 GearUp (Arctic #1)
130/45 jets, KTM rock solid mirrors, Delaware Dave's outstanding trunk lock, Mr. Cob's most excellent skid plate, Cycra Probend smashproof hand guards, Duro strong like bull 307's, RotoPax damn near bulletproof fuel cans, MKIII all but water proof air box and Dimples super duper magnetic drain plugs all around...oh yeah, and a manual fuel petcock.

.........if you see something that needs doing, just do it........

TepidWaters

Post by TepidWaters » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:09 pm

Ya'll got any of them new iKon shocks? Gettin' real itchy for some.
2019 GearUp 2WD Slate Grey - "ALINA"

2016 HD Sportster Roadster - "Brass Betty"

Former rides:
2014 KLR650
2011 BMW R1200R
2001 HD Dyna Wide Glide
1996 Honda XR650L

Working to reduce the stigma associated with seeking help for mental illness - Because Isolation is Killing Us.

Downhill502

Post by Downhill502 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:01 am

Very interested to hear from anyone that has purchased a set of these and has had some time on the new units. Thanks!

Yakatak

Post by Yakatak » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:28 am

+1
2014 Ural Gear Up - Asphalt

sKiZo
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by sKiZo » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:44 pm

While not confirmed yet, it looks like we're on target for a set of 5 shocks to customer's specification at sub $ 700 US plus shipping from PA and they will also be available in pairs for front, rear or (single) sidecar.
For us cheapskates - anyone determined which set of shocks would give the most benefit if you decided only to replace one wheel? I'd think the front set would give you the most bang for the buck. I suppose though, the hard part would be dialing them in for your particular ride based on rider weight and average load.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Evil Kneivel? He got nuttin' on me!
2011 Ural T
Handicap mods include Raceway foot box, tank shifter w/reverse, and DIY rear brake pedal mods.

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:53 pm

My experience with the test shocks as compared to my OEM Russian shocks was night and day. And the wife commented that she thought she was imagining things when she got in the hack and ride was markedly improved. What I noticed, and I'm still trying to understand why this happened, with the IKONs on the rig and the wife in the hack, the normal exertion needed to keep the rig going straight at speed with the hack occupied was almost gone. First thought is there is much less sag with the IKONs in response to the added weight in the hack. But she said the ride was better and mentioned that without knowing the shocks had changed or without me asking.

My rig is very neutral with the hack empty. I can take my hands off the bars as speed and it goes straight down the road. So, when the wife climbs in for a ride to the ice cream stand, the change was always very noticeable. With the IKONs, I found myself barely noticing much difference from an empty hack. It was enough of a difference that I found myself taking the long way back home or adding side trips to the ride.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".