3.5 wide tires OK??

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
phliparoonie
Comrade General
Comrade General

3.5 wide tires OK??

Post by phliparoonie » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:06 pm

Is there any issue with using 3.5x19's for the hack and front wheels. i would still have a 4x19 heidenau for the pusher.
It is important to keep an open mind. But not so much that your brain falls out. Carl Sagan
I am old, but I'm happy. Cat Stevens
It's a tractor, not a Ferrari. Holopaw Gene

2004 Tourist "Charlie" 25,036 km - 18/04/24
stock: pipes, carbs, airbox, fuel petcock, tractor seat
new/add: windscreen,hack headlight,4 head stud holes,pistons,rings,starter,FD splined hub,clutch actuator bearing, clutch arm,donut,drive shaft,Ducati ignition,tank xover dscnect

Blue Ridge Wheeltor
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: 3.5 wide tires OK??

Post by Blue Ridge Wheeltor » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:16 pm

There is someone on here running the Avon in that size, and likes it.
95% of all Urals built in the last ten years are still on the road....The other 5% made it home.

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:49 pm

Depends on the load rating of the tire.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:06 am

Blue Ridge Wheeltor wrote:There is someone on here running the Avon in that size, and likes it.
THAT WOULD BE ME.
My Favorite ROAD sidecar rig tire is the AVON Sidecar duty MKII 3.50 x 19 tire which has a squared off profile. They wear like iron on all 4 wheels.
I am using sidecar rated AVON (SM) SAFETY MILEAGE 3.50 X 19 tires on my Ural Street Racer. I could not afford the SIDECAR DUTY MKII's & my friends @ the royal Enfield Forum Gifted me with their slightly used AVON SM's. They were not wonderful on solo RE's - but do just great on A URAL TOURIST, used on roads a car could use including gravel.

BOTH OF THESE TIRE MODELS ARE THICK, HEAVY, & TOUGH - Enclosing Pictures :
My 1994 tourist with the AVON SIDECAR DUTY MKII's (sold)
My "new" 2002 tourist with AVON SM's
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current Motorcycles: Improved 2002 Ural Tourist.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

Eric N
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Eric N » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:03 pm

Tires often have an aspect ratio where the height of the tire is connected to the width.

If the bike is a 2WD and the tires are different sizes, I would be concerned about handling and possibly harming the final drive in 2WD.

When I bought my Patrol, the pusher was a 4.5" way big tire, front and hack were 4" 308's. Bike looked a little funny, nose down, and I knew not to put it in 2WD, but otherwise rode several hundred kilometers before finally getting around to mounting new tires.
2018 Gear Up
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:54 pm

If you think about it, every time you go around a corner, the hack wheel travels a different distance than the pusher wheel. So, as long as you stay in dirt or other where traction is loose, it's probably not a big deal. When off-roading, unless you are going down a dead straight and smooth dirt road, I suspect that the two wheels are rarely in synch. One or the other is slipping.

Big tire on the back and small on the front would reduce trail a bit so could make for easier steering or increased wobble. Hard to say if it would make enough difference to matter.

That is great input on the Avons, Insub. My 308's are working okay, but they are not very round. I was surprised about that.

Most if not all Inch sized tires have a 100 aspect ratio. So a 3.50 would have a 3.50 sidewall. That would make a 3.50-19 about 1 inch smaller in diameter than a 4.00-19. Not sure I would take those numbers to the bank. Tire manufacturers seem to have their own special rulers.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

phliparoonie
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by phliparoonie » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:16 am

Thanks for all the input. Very useful.
It is important to keep an open mind. But not so much that your brain falls out. Carl Sagan
I am old, but I'm happy. Cat Stevens
It's a tractor, not a Ferrari. Holopaw Gene

2004 Tourist "Charlie" 25,036 km - 18/04/24
stock: pipes, carbs, airbox, fuel petcock, tractor seat
new/add: windscreen,hack headlight,4 head stud holes,pistons,rings,starter,FD splined hub,clutch actuator bearing, clutch arm,donut,drive shaft,Ducati ignition,tank xover dscnect