Painting Helmets

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
mattzahr
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Painting Helmets

Post by mattzahr » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:08 pm

Manscout, glad you used paint for thermoplastic.

Many years ago (1989), I was associated with a paint stripper project with Bell helmets when they were still located in Rantoul, Il. They were looking for a stripper that would not degrade the shells when they had a paint screw up in production and therefore re-use the shell for sale to the public. The lab rats I worked with spent long hours is getting that dialed in - when I had to move on to other projects, they were still working the bugs out...made me very wary of repaints.
'16 cT - Terracotta aka Orange
Proud member of the "Group W Bench"

Manscout

Post by Manscout » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:53 pm

Luckily, I live in a state that tries not to over-regulate. We don't have adult helmet laws, so I doubt they would care if it had the DOT sticker. Most of the time, I know the laws better than the LE does. Lol.

All my spare helmets are ones the kids use, so I really wanted to make sure they would still be safe if painted. That was the main reason I researched it so much.
"It goes nowhere fast, and everywhere cool".

2011 Ural Patrol
Gillette, Wy
Instagram: manscoutwyo

mattzahr

Post by mattzahr » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:40 pm

Good on you!
'16 cT - Terracotta aka Orange
Proud member of the "Group W Bench"

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:28 pm

I have seen some real POS helmets with DOT tags.
There was an outfit called Jafrum. I think that they are still around. They made puddin' basin helmets with DOT stickers on them as well as full jet and similar mods/rocker period helmet also with DOT on them. A friend of mine was selling them in his shop because they were very inexpensive compared to Davida helmets and had a DOT approval.

The Feds came into his shop one day. Looked at the helmets, asked how many he had and where he got them. He had the paperwork from the wholesaler. They confiscated every one of them and told him that none of them were DOT approved. I believe the wholesaler called later trying to get them back and he told them, "Too late". I never did ask if he tried to get his money back. Knowing him, I'm sure he did.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

BlueRockCrawler
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by BlueRockCrawler » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:08 am

I think Hal was trying to say, that you're supposed to toss most helmets when they're 5 years old. Regardless of the paint used, the interior foam and glue holding it together start to degrade and may not protect you well when you really need it.
2015 Ural Patrol
1993 Suzuki DR 650
2018 Suzuki DR 650
previous Honda's were
1996 750 Magna
2002 750 shadow A.C.E.
2004 919
1985 500 Magna

Trevorski
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin
Location: Adamant, Vermont, USA (yes, it's really a place name)

Post by Trevorski » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:30 am

Manscout wrote:
Tomcatfixer wrote:Fantastic idea!
The Foil.jpg
But is it paintable? :lol:
crumple zones everywhere!
2014 Asphalt Gray Gear Up: "Drastic Measures"
PNW Engine Guard, Biltwell "Tracker" handlebars, Depner 2-lever gated quadrant shifter... more in progress....
1976 Kawasaki KE125
2009 Royal Enfield AVL Scrambler- someone else's uncompleted project that I'll someday finish...
1995 Ural Tourist = "The Red Menace" owned 2007-April 2014.

sKiZo
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by sKiZo » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:19 pm

Decals anybody?

Those are official Detroit Lions helmet stickers and made to take a beating. Old version, and someone was selling them on the bay. Found the stripes at a helmet supply.

PS - you'd want to keep a low profile going thru Green Bay ... <G>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Evil Kneivel? He got nuttin' on me!
2011 Ural T
Handicap mods include Raceway foot box, tank shifter w/reverse, and DIY rear brake pedal mods.

RC20

Post by RC20 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:36 pm

Hawaii was awful. They turned my brother down because his had the sticker goner, but had all the stuff inside (Bell Star best of its day)

He got a second one to get the approval and then transferred the sticker to the first one and got it as well.

On the other hand I took in a fiberglass one that a friend wnated certified for low speed local rides, it had a scorched patch on one side.

they were ok as it had all the stickers and stuff inside.

Hawaii is truly a crazy place. I got a ticket for having my face shield up in downtown Honolulu. Yes you can ride with flip flops, shorts, no gloves, T shirt, but by Pele don't ride with the face shield up (if it has one!)
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems