Driving Light Switch Location.

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
Brian Crean
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: Driving Light Switch Location.

Post by Brian Crean » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:33 pm

For my sidecar spotlight, I picked up an 'Adele Clamp" at ACE hardware's trailer section that had a 7/8 dia. (handlebars) I then used a 12A rated micro toggle switch and put it in the hole for the retaining bolt, and screwed it in with it's jamnut. Some wire, solder, heatshrink, and bammo... an easy to operate light switch. Clamp:$1.45 Microswitch:$4.00

Lee Pape
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by Lee Pape » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:17 pm

For the Rigid LED lights I mounted on the front sidecar bumper I just tapped into the high beam of the headlight and use that to fire the relay to turn the lights on. It save flipping two switches when meeting someone on the road.
We may not have it all together,
But, together we have it all.

2007 Tourist "The un-named-one"
Riding and working on Urals since 2000.

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by tx2sturgis » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:08 pm

Lmo wrote:
The alternative position that I'm considering is an externally mounted switch enclosure on the side of the tub, just forward of where the tonneau cover buckles down; not too bad of a reach.
This is exactly where I mounted the waterproof control switch (3 position, off, low, high) for my aux driving light, in my case, no relay needed, its a 20 watt LED. It is fed from the sidecar 'position' light. I also have the headlight switch in the RH control group, so I can go completely dark at the flip of my right thumb.

:thumbsup:
---Brian
Republic of Texas

2013 Ural Solo sT

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:37 am

Can you post a pic Brian? What enclosure did you end up using? I've been looking; McMaster-Carr has a few.
Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

Brian Crean
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Brian Crean » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:59 pm

Sorry, not capable of pictures at this time. I used the threaded neck on the toggle sw. as the securing nut on the clamp. I have a box at home with an assortment of scrap & left-over heatshrink, and was able to completely weather seal the whole switch. I don't exactly remember, but I do believe the holes in the clamp had to be reamed out to fit the switch in.

Jeepster09
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Jeepster09 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:33 pm

What is wrong with using fusebox in sidecar? It already has 2 accessary spots in it that are fused. Just add a second switch next to spotlight switch. I like to keep things simple and not over complicate it. I find reaching over to turn them on simple enough.Perhaps you need to get a Goldwing.... :moto:
Jeeps, guns and bikes! :wink:

Daytripper

Post by Daytripper » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:50 pm

:shock: Hey Jeepster09, is that why you sold yours? :lol:
:fart:
Mike
2014 Gear Up Мила (Mila)

:moto:

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by tx2sturgis » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:53 pm

Lmo wrote:Can you post a pic Brian? What enclosure did you end up using? I've been looking; McMaster-Carr has a few.
There are two 'Brians' in this thread....so I'm not sure if I'm answering a question you asked me or the other Brian.

I just drilled a hole in the side of the sidecar tub where I wanted the switch, its a simple marine style, rubber covered, ON-OFF-ON toggle switch, and the wires and terminals are all inside the tub, adjacent to the factory fuse panel.

It's a switch I rarely use, so its perfect for me. But if you want to activate the lights anytime you want, while riding, its not that quick or easy to activate.
---Brian
Republic of Texas

2013 Ural Solo sT

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:10 pm

Thanks Brian(s). I was at work and couldn't clarify which Brian I was directing my request to.

I'm all set with SPST toggle switches and boots. Was wondering what "enclosure" you mounted them in.

What is wrong with using fusebox in sidecar?
A) My old Dnepr doesn't have one, and B) I don't want to have to undo the tonneau cover straps to turn on the lights.

My thinking is/was that if I have a discreet "box" on the side of the tub, which has the a 15A fuse in it, feeding the switch mounted in it as well, I can just run one 10ga wire to the box, and break it out from there. The disadvantage being of course that I'd have to reach down to turn on the lights.

I'm obviously waaayyyy overthinking this :roll:
Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

sKiZo
Party Member
Party Member

Post by sKiZo » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:07 pm

OLD THREAD ALERT !!

I just drilled the sidecover and installed a heavy duty toggle switch.

Relay uses an accessory lead from under the dash and fits in nicely over the coil pack on the frame backbone. Leaves room for a relay for an air horn as well. Most folk tuck these in under the dash, but it was getting a bit crowded in there and this leaves room for a headlight modulator (not legal in EU). You'll want to make sure the wire connectors tuck in tight enough so as not to hit the tank tunnel.

And here's the lights I'm using. No idea where they came from as they're leftovers from another project. They're definitely bright and have a nice spread.

One other item was a switchbox. Not a fan of inline fuses, and this keeps everything organized, and accepts both mini and micro blade fuses. The fusebox is just glued down to a DIY metal bracket that pressure fits in on top of the battery. I left enough slack in the wires to be able to pop it up and out of the way for battery changes. The Littelfuse box is nice because you get an LED light for any bad fuses or shorts. I've since added circuits for a backup light and beeper and also a battery tender, and reserved one for an AUX that I can use for a radio or GPS.

You might notice a few wires dangling around yet - still a work in progress!

snowymonkey

Post by snowymonkey » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:07 am

Pardon my possible ignorance.... cause I really don’t know what I’m talking about here....

Is it possible that the American and European stitch clusters are actually the same? Or is just the housing the same?

On mine (American) the spot for the European switch has the markings scratched out (poorly), and where the switch would be looks like it’s just a cover glued in there.

Could we maybe get lucky and just have to pull the cover off and add the actual switch lever thingy?
“ The music moves me, but it moves me ugly” - Nickoli

2008 Ural Patrol - “Toothless”

Lake City Florida

jaybird
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin
Location: The foothills of the Forked River Mountains, West Barnegat NJ (Do It In The Pines!) 08005

Post by jaybird » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:14 pm

snowymonkey wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:07 am
Pardon my possible ignorance.... cause I really don’t know what I’m talking about here....

Is it possible that the American and European stitch clusters are actually the same? Or is just the housing the same?

On mine (American) the spot for the European switch has the markings scratched out (poorly), and where the switch would be looks like it’s just a cover glued in there.

Could we maybe get lucky and just have to pull the cover off and add the actual switch lever thingy?
That switch simply turns off/on the headlight etc., if you do a search there's plenty of chat about it.

Happy trails,
Jaybird
2005 Gear-Up, Mr. Nat_ural 108,000+ Kilometers and counting
2013 Retro, Black beauty, AKA Lucky "13"
1995 Olive Tourist
1975 Enfield Diesel Bullet
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

snowymonkey

Post by snowymonkey » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:19 pm

Tomcatfixer wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:47 pm
I do have the European RH switch cluster that allows me to turn off all the lights if I want to
Do you have a source for that? I want to incorporate that switchgear on my rig, but it looks like sources listed in the old threads aren't carrying them anymore.
Looking at this I thought that’s what Chad was trying to do. Kinda sidetracked on the thread.

Lake City Florida

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:43 pm

Looking at this I thought that’s what Chad was trying to do.
I ended up making my Domino (that's who supplies the switch clusters to IMZ) headlight select switch fully functional. The process is captured on this thread - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20169
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "The Patrol", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

snowymonkey

Post by snowymonkey » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:43 pm

Got it. Thanks :)

Lake City Florida