Cutting toe shift level off.

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
Bacon Andy
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Cutting toe shift level off.

Post by Bacon Andy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:19 pm

My toes are cold and it's in the way of heater. Hand shifter only for me.
80ish Kawa 650 LTD gone
76 Guzzi 850T-3 needs to go, parts bike
2004 Night Train, fast
2013 GU, loaded.
WTH? I've never had an original idea!

Bacon Andy
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: Cutting toe shift level off.

Post by Bacon Andy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:33 pm

Cheaper than new boots, and will save it if needed to be welded back up.
80ish Kawa 650 LTD gone
2004 Night Train, fast
2013 GU, loaded.

Mothra35
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Mothra35 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:47 am

DOUBLE UP, TRIPPLE UP ON SOCKS MAYBE???? sorry for the caps had it on
--2005 Ural Tourist--"Маня"

My U-Tube
---Oliver---Оливер--- :headbang:

chaos2
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by chaos2 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:03 am

Is cutting off the shift lever going to make you foot warmer? Heck, the only time I notice heat from the engine is when it's too damn hot out anyway.
past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, and a Citroen.
Now an 87 K75s, DB Haanjo gravel bike, and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

Lokiboy
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by Lokiboy » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:35 am

chaos2 wrote:Is cutting off the shift lever going to make you foot warmer? Heck, the only time I notice heat from the engine is when it's too damn hot out anyway.
Yeah, might want to think twice on potential gain before cutting
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
90,000 km and counting

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:52 am

I'm not sure how cutting off the front of your shifter is going to make your foot warmer? It's a "Heel-Toe" shifter. Hand-shift could be an alternative but I've never heard of anyone cutting off the toe part for the reasons you give. Certainly the Russians don't and these bikes are from Siberia.

You could extend your knee guards for the Winter I suppose. The coldest I ever rode for an extended period was a constant 14F during an overnight Road Rally. The flesh just above my kneecap got cold enough that it bothered me for over a year after. That was stupid on my part and if that cold downright dangerous. It was the area where the top of the knee-guard ends and cold air blows. I noticed others more experienced than I on the same rally had gaff-taped cut up plastic w@$#ing machine soap containers over their kneecaps and also over the tips of their boots. About cutting the wind. Some folks make temporary hand guards out of them too.

I'd double-up on socks and if necessary use some of those instant toe warmers.
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
1969 BMW r60/2 US model (Kick Start only)

Bacon Andy
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Bacon Andy » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:48 pm

I test rode a 2016 Patrol at Reinbold's here in Michigan. Loved everything about it except the awkward foot controls. A deal breaker for me. Then I found Ural NE. What Dametre has done with his Adventure package is flat out outstanding for the type of riding I want to do, and comfort. Michigan winters, big boots I thought. Hand shifter, boot boxes and relocated rear brake pedal is just the ticket and I couldn't be more pleased. Well, the left boot box will be getting better support soon, to the passenger peg mount. Currently it flexes too much and has sagged. Ural NE has fixed this on their new stuff. I haven't used my heal/toe shifter at all and have left it on only because I was concerned of the quality and strength of hand shifter linkage. I will drink a few more beers over this but if I can't find a fail spot in my hand linkage, the heal/toe is gone. PS, my toes get toasty jammed tween cylinder and boot box. And leaves funds available for new gloves. Thanks as always for all your input throughout this forum.
80ish Kawa 650 LTD gone
2004 Night Train, fast
2013 GU, loaded.

Bacon Andy
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Bacon Andy » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:58 pm

stagewex wrote:I'm not sure how cutting off the front of your shifter is going to make your foot warmer? It's a "Heel-Toe" shifter. Hand-shift could be an alternative but I've never heard of anyone cutting off the toe part for the reasons you give. Certainly the Russians don't and these bikes are from Siberia.

You could extend your knee guards for the Winter I suppose. The coldest I ever rode for an extended period was a constant 14F during an overnight Road Rally. The flesh just above my kneecap got cold enough that it bothered me for over a year after. That was stupid on my part and if that cold downright dangerous. It was the area where the top of the knee-guard ends and cold air blows. I noticed others more experienced than I on the same rally had gaff-taped cut up plastic w@$#ing machine soap containers over their kneecaps and also over the tips of their boots. About cutting the wind. Some folks make temporary hand guards out of them too.

I'd double-up on socks and if necessary use some of those instant toe warmers.
10-4 on the knees! Soap containers and duct tape, lol, that's good stuff, but my first gear upgrade was snowmobile bib overalls.
80ish Kawa 650 LTD gone
2004 Night Train, fast
2013 GU, loaded.

Manscout

Post by Manscout » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:13 pm

I rode my 2011 Patrol for about 18 months before I ever tried shifting with my feet as mine came with a hand shifter as well. I know you have been getting used to riding it around and are probably pretty good at it by now. I will caution you from my experience last summer. If you are only riding roads, you will be fine with the hand shifter. If you are going off-road or any trails, you will want the foot shift option. If you are flying down a trail and suddenly need to downshift without loosing momentum, and you are bouncing around; the last thing you want to do is take your hand off one side to shift. Plus, foot shifting is much quicker. Something to keep in mind.
"It goes nowhere fast, and everywhere cool".

2011 Ural Patrol
Gillette, Wy
Instagram: manscoutwyo

rivers

Post by rivers » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:35 pm

Just my 2 cents but If a cold foot is a problem, I would think it'd stay somewhat warmer being exercised shifting rather than just resting idle on the peg or floorboard? When you install the hand shifters you don't need to remove the heel-toe shifter. Mines still in place so you can use either hand or foot shift at will. If you just don't want it there, remove the entire lever. It's your call but I wouldn't cut it up.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Wildhorse Cafe

Post by Wildhorse Cafe » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:31 pm

why not just unbolt it and take it off. Saves on hacksaw blades.
2011 Patrol Higgs Bison Super Collider formally known as the Orange and Silver Pumpkin Coach
2006 Shinny Black, Tourist, Tatyanna

When you set out on your journey to Ithaca
pray the road is long , full of adventure, full of knowledge
not expecting that Ithaca will offer you riches
Ithaca has given you the beautiful voyage

C.P. Cavafy

grayghost

Post by grayghost » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:10 pm

I encountered similar problem - Mickey Mouse boots and foot shift don't work too well together.
However before I cut my pedal off, I ordered a replacement from Raceway, so I can always return without welding.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2019 CT
2012 Gear Up Suchka-no longer mine
2002 Indian Scout

Bacon Andy
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Bacon Andy » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:24 pm

Manscout wrote:I rode my 2011 Patrol for about 18 months before I ever tried shifting with my feet as mine came with a hand shifter as well. I know you have been getting used to riding it around and are probably pretty good at it by now. I will caution you from my experience last summer. If you are only riding roads, you will be fine with the hand shifter. If you are going off-road or any trails, you will want the foot shift option. If you are flying down a trail and suddenly need to downshift without loosing momentum, and you are bouncing around; the last thing you want to do is take your hand off one side to shift. Plus, foot shifting is much quicker. Something to keep in mind.
Good point.
80ish Kawa 650 LTD gone
2004 Night Train, fast
2013 GU, loaded.

Hansel
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Hansel » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:16 pm

Why would you cut it off???
It is literally held on by one nut, just take it off and throw it in the trunk in case you want it again.

sixbennetts
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by sixbennetts » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:20 pm

Guys, I *think* you'll find Bacon Andy was being, "ironical", as Robin Williams used to say.
I have a funny wife. Hilarious, really.
I love her, she loves me.

"I'm slow and like to go old."
Plattsburgh NY