Tractor to Solo Seat Tutorial Gear Up and Retro - Uses HD Police Solo and springs

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
bluepatrol
Comrade
Comrade

Tractor to Solo Seat Tutorial Gear Up and Retro - Uses HD Police Solo and springs

Post by bluepatrol » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:32 pm

Hi all,

Been a while since I posted, so thought that this one would be helpful.

I created this document after many days of a sore arse on tractor seats on my retro and gear up. I did one last fall and one today and combined them into one PDF document. The seats are sturdy, very comfy and I wish everyone good luck with their own project. This project uses some simple drilling, grinding and fitment. Its designed to get anyone up and running with their own version without being a welder or fabricator. Go slow and be careful and always wear safety glasses.

I think you will like the result.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Currently Own
2014 Patrol
2012 Patrol
2009 Ural Retro
2009 Ural Gear Up Sahara
2007 Ural Tourist
2007 Triumph America
1990 Dnepr MT 11
http://www.rockymountainsidecar.com

Lokiboy
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Tractor to Solo Seat Tutorial Gear Up and Retro - Uses HD Police Solo and springs

Post by Lokiboy » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:01 am

Very nicely done. A great document for anyone wishing to install a solo seat.

I hope they make this a sticky
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
90,000 km and counting

stagewex

Re: Tractor to Solo Seat Tutorial Gear Up and Retro - Uses HD Police Solo and springs

Post by stagewex » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:37 am

I'm okay with the regular tractor seat(s). But if I ever did want to change to an HD seat your write-up is an excellent reference source.
Thanks for posting.
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
1969 BMW r60/2 US model (Kick Start only)

reduc
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by reduc » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:09 am

Excellent write up for a topic that has come up many times! Nice work!
Jason
2010 Gear Up (OD Green) http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/view ... 11&t=22029
Windmill MKIII airbox
Full Mod-Top exhaust
Gossie needles with the clips in the 2nd & 3rd slots from the top (out of 6)
Slides drilled
45 idle jets
132.5 main jets
Mixture screw 2 1/4 turns out
Mr Cob skid plate

2004 BMW R1150GS
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
1965 Triumph TR-6 S/R

TheWildOne
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by TheWildOne » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:37 pm

never mind. :oops:
Last edited by TheWildOne on Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

reimerdavid
Party Member
Party Member

Post by reimerdavid » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:18 am

Nice post ! Does anyone know what to replace the rubber tube covering the hand hold on a tractor type seat set up. The rubber on my 2009 Gear-Up needs replacing.

darkhorse
Party Member
Party Member

Post by darkhorse » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:03 am

This is an excellent document. I have a 2001 Deco Classic and I recently purchased a Harley Police seat. Does anyone know if the Deco Classic is similar to the Ural Retro?
Thanks.
2001 Ural Deco Classic
PowerArc Ignition

When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

DneprTim
Party Member
Party Member

Post by DneprTim » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:11 pm

reimerdavid wrote:Nice post ! Does anyone know what to replace the rubber tube covering the hand hold on a tractor type seat set up. The rubber on my 2009 Gear-Up needs replacing.
I used Heat Shrink tubing on one, I think It took 3 layers, shrinking each one before I did the next.

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:26 am

Hi, guys, im new to the ural world but old to motorcycles. as many ural owners im in a hunt for the proper seat you know the one God uses on his ural. so far im getting close but i will not listen to older ural riders i must find out the expensive hard way. so 2016 gu stock tractor seat not so good,tractor seat with ural pad eh!, $50 memory foam/gel cover eh!, now the $299.99 raceway delux solo seat with springs seems good looks original to the bike.only time and a$$ hair will tell for sure.couldent help but notice people who buy the expensive hd solo seat and create some fancy mounting hardware they dont look much more different than what i have of course if the posterior is bigger than mine that could effect it.just sayin!! spent my youth on enduro/bench seats with good results but i was younger and thinner than.
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

brianural

Post by brianural » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:31 pm

hotflash44 wrote:Hi, guys, im new to the ural world but old to motorcycles. as many ural owners im in a hunt for the proper seat you know the one God uses on his ural. so far im getting close but i will not listen to older ural riders i must find out the expensive hard way. so 2016 gu stock tractor seat not so good,tractor seat with ural pad eh!, $50 memory foam/gel cover eh!, now the $299.99 raceway delux solo seat with springs seems good looks original to the bike.only time and a$$ hair will tell for sure.couldent help but notice people who buy the expensive hd solo seat and create some fancy mounting hardware they dont look much more different than what i have of course if the posterior is bigger than mine that could effect it.just sayin!! spent my youth on enduro/bench seats with good results but i was younger and thinner than.
I got the same seat listed in the write-up for $50 shipped on ebay, made my own mounting hardware for $20. Total expended was $80 and a couple hours work. If you search ebay, you can find decent deals on seats.
2011 HD RGU
2003 Honda VTX1800 - sold
2005 Honda VTX1300 - sold
Bunch of other metric bikes for last 45 years
"1966 titled" Dnepr MT-11 (reality is a 80-90's)
1956 IMZ M72 (bought in pieces, oh crap what have I done) Hope to have on road in 2018

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:42 pm

thanks for the reply, i did look on ebay didnt see the raceway deluxe solo seat anywhere.so bit the bullet and got the new seat kind of like the bolt on aspect out of the box just hard to get the old bolts out they are allen head on top and nylon lock nut on bottom.its just hard to get a wrench on the nuts under the seat but i did it. i saw a few Harley police solo seats converted to fit the Ural but they dont look right to big imho.
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:08 am

I'm using a large British replica LYCETTE saddle, It is much more comfortable than the original seat, & looks the correct vintage. I had to install a different bushing on my Ural mount, & devise spring mounts. I like it a lot, I use "imitation Buffalo Fur" covers to protect from UV rays & add more cush. The covers are actually Lg. SHAG Toilet Lid Covers from wal Mart.
"Senility helps you think outside the box" - Insubordinator quote.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current Motorcycles: 02 Ural Tourist, 2010 modified Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

HKsMike
Comrade
Comrade

Post by HKsMike » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:22 am

Thanks for posting this. I've got a gear up and have been trying to figure out the best way to do this. Your method looks really clean and relatively simple.

outrider

Post by outrider » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:03 pm

INSUBORDINATOR wrote:I'm using a large British replica LYCETTE saddle, It is much more comfortable than the original seat, & looks the correct vintage. I had to install a different bushing on my Ural mount, & devise spring mounts. I like it a lot, I use "imitation Buffalo Fur" covers to protect from UV rays & add more cush. The covers are actually Lg. SHAG Toilet Lid Covers from wal Mart.
"Senility helps you think outside the box" - Insubordinator quote.
That's a nice comfortable looking seat even without the cover.
2017 Gear Up

Marital Art Instructor

lwcollmann
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by lwcollmann » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:12 am

I replaced my 2004 retro saddle with a day long Russell saddle.I have had lots of them and like them.
Lloyd
aug 31 2011 062.jpg