Lights: Headlight, Dash indicators, blinker, Tail/Brake

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
phliparoonie
Comrade General
Comrade General

Re: Lights: Headlight, Dash indicators, blinker, Tail/Brake

Post by phliparoonie » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:13 am

scottolds wrote:... I read somewhere that when using LED's in the dash, you want to match their color to the color of the lens being used...
It may be more related to how LED's emit their light, the wavelength (most likely), or how the light reflects....
Original issue, incandescent bulbs emit a full spectrum (red to blue) of light, which is all jumbled together to make a white light. Remember the spinning circle of colored "pie" pieces your 4th grade teacher spun around to make it turn white? (At least they did in the 50's :lol: ) The colored lens around an incan. bulb will pick up (reflect) whatever color it needs from that full spectrum. The rest of the spectrum is absorbed by the material.

LEDs only emit a single color. LED "white" bulbs have no red, no yellow, no green in their spectrum; they are a very, very VERY pale blue. Which is why they will w-a-s-h out a colored lens: there is none of that lenses color coming from the white LED bulb to reflect back to your eye. Color LED's only emit a single color: a red bulb emits no blue, yellow nor green light, which is why they really brighten up a color-matched, red lensed light fixture.

HTH
It is important to keep an open mind. But not so much that your brain falls out. Carl Sagan
I am old, but I'm happy. Cat Stevens
It's a tractor, not a Ferrari. Holopaw Gene

2004 Tourist "Charlie" 25,036 km - 18/04/24
stock: pipes, carbs, airbox, fuel petcock, tractor seat
new/add: windscreen,hack headlight,4 head stud holes,pistons,rings,starter,FD splined hub,clutch actuator bearing, clutch arm,donut,drive shaft,Ducati ignition,tank xover dscnect

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:29 am

I'm puzzled as to why you want to add a superbright LED to the highbeam indicator, and then dim it back down?
Brian, the blue dye in my OEM high-beam indicator must be fairly thin because, with the stock incandescent bulb, it emits mostly-white light. I dunno, it kind of annoyed me.
With the blue SuperBright LED it's definitely blue and exceptionally visible during the daytime, but at night, it's like someone shining a blue flashlight in your face while you're trying to drive. Very distracting. I might try taking a Sharpie to blacken the tip of the LED, so that only the indirect light shines through.

Your gear indicator light hood solution seems practical for the GS. Nice!
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "The Patrol", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

harryball
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by harryball » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:22 am

I ended up removing the blue LED for highbeam and went back to the regular bulb. All the other indicators I left as LED, but the highbeam LED was blinding and I couldn't find the right balance to tone it down as all the light comes from the top and it does get warm so I didn't trust paint or tape on it. So, for now the bulb works good enough.
---
2017 - cT - "Georgia" My wife's rig.
2017 - M70/Retro, Sigmund. My wife's other rig.
Robert
http://HabitatForBats.org - Give a bat a home!

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:43 am

...the highbeam LED was blinding...
Ah, so I'm not the only one!
- Chad

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "The Patrol", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:50 pm

I'm running 100% LED's on my 02 tourist. My experiment with the Diamond cut headlight reflector with the centered projector lens, paid off. I am delighted with my results. I bought all my bulbs from EBAY vendors from both USA & China without any problems - shopping by price. Most LED bulbs are produced in China, by buying direct, I saved a lot. shop around - some USA dealers are exceedingly greedy, selling the same bulbs for highly inflated prices. About $65. total invested in ALL my LED lighting.
I am so pleased with my fully tested results.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current Motorcycles: Improved 2002 Ural Tourist.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

GillaFunk
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by GillaFunk » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:31 pm

INSUBORDINATOR wrote:I'm running 100% LED's on my 02 tourist.
I am so pleased with my fully tested results.
Mo Light is mo betta!
Sgt. USMC 0311, 8156

2011 Gear-Up "سميرة" (Samira). Gone, it not forgotten

Lemonysword
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Lemonysword » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:52 am

Anyone come up with a clever solution for the speedo yet? I took mine for a quick ride around the neighborhood tonight and it might as well not been lit up at all. Maybe apply some luminescent paint to the needle (and maybe numbers) so the LED charges the paint and makes the needle glows?

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by gobium » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:24 am

Badass headlight
20160919_081844-picsay.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rebelrider
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by rebelrider » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:50 pm

Lemonysword wrote:Anyone come up with a clever solution for the speedo yet?
Best I've been able to do so far is to get a bright LED for the bottom, and leave the top one disconnected. For me, the top light makes a bright arc around the gauge and then I can't see any numbers. Without it, the bottom light reflects a bit and gives me a dim view.
Regardless, the needle bouncing and inaccuracy makes lighting kind of moot for me.
Mike
Image2014 Ural M70 "Trogdor"
1987 Honda CMX250C "Rebel"
1979 Puch Moped "Wasp"
1971 Honda SL100

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:08 pm

For me, the top light makes a bright arc around the gauge and then I can't see any numbers.
The upper SuperBright LED is a little annoying to me, as well. I can see the numbers, but, for me, the light shines through the trip meter number wheels, which is a little distracting. When I swap out my speedometer pickup gear in the transmission in the near future and disassemble my speedometer to advance the odometer to reflect GPS "mileage", I think I'll attempt to affix some kind of light diffuser behind the number wheels.
- Chad

Current rides:

Previous rides:

jb7
Comrade
Comrade

Post by jb7 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:13 am

[quote="Tomcatfixer"]I just replaced my idiot lights with SuperBright LED's and am pleased with the results, however, on my first night ride with them, I noticed that the high beam and MIL indicators are slightly illuminated when they're not supposed to be. Stray voltage, maybe? Anyone else experience this?

Also, while I like the high-beam brightness during the daytime, I find it distractingly bright at night. Anyone have experience electrically or mechanically dimming the LED's?

I had the same experience with the LEDs' in the high beam indicator, and the MIL. They were slightly illuminated. The high beam indicator was also too bright at night. I just reinstalled the stock incandescent bulbs in the high beam and MIL indicators. Problem solved.
2015 cT

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:42 am

The high beam indicator was also too bright at night.
My "trick" of painting the LED black, then scratching off a small aperture for the blue light to shine through at an appropriate brightness did the trick for me. My main reason for installing the blue LED was that my blue plastic high-beam indicator lens transmitted white light, instead of blue, which annoyed me.
I had the same experience with the LEDs' in the high beam indicator, and the MIL.
As for the slight illumination of the LEDs when 'off', I could install a resistor to bleed off any stray voltage, but honestly, I don't think it bothers me enough to trouble myself. Thanks for letting me know that I'm not the only one experiencing this phenomenon.
- Chad

Current rides:

Previous rides:

sKiZo
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by sKiZo » Mon May 27, 2019 2:35 pm

Good write up. Currently upgrading the lighting on my 2012, with LED markers here and there, a headlight modulator, and changing out the taillights for a pair of tombstones I had laying about. Also moved the license plate to the trunk, so I'm adding a plate light and "back off" light bar for the brakes below the plate. Should end up looking something like this when done. (Let's here it for photoshop!)

Bonus points for anyone comes up with and markets a translucent speedo face, so the light shows thru it instead of around it ... ;-}
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Evil Kneivel? He got nuttin' on me!
2011 Ural T
Handicap mods include Raceway foot box, tank shifter w/reverse, and DIY rear brake pedal mods.

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Mon May 27, 2019 5:22 pm

Bonus points for anyone comes up with and markets a translucent speedo face, so the light shows thru it instead of around it ... ;-}
We appreciate your patience. :wink:
- Chad

Current rides:

Previous rides:

dogboy443
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by dogboy443 » Mon May 27, 2019 8:59 pm

I guess that's my cue. Chad I forgot to send you the faceplates. they'll go out this week for your test results. I'll send you the atomic cloud, the white face with Ural logo and the nuclear symbol. Sorry, my bad, too many things going on.
Mark Masztal
Total Bad A$$ - Ha!
2006 Ural Tourist, The Flying Pickle!