Tractor seat lumbar support

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
Barbosa
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Tractor seat lumbar support

Post by Barbosa » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:47 pm

I was muckin' around town today looking for something to attach to the ring handle to keep the point of the back seat from cramming into my lower back. Things were either too squishy or wrong colour or whatever. As I was leaving Target, I walked past the bicycle area and just happened to glance down and saw a gel seat cover for bicycles.

So I'm checking them out and thinkin'...I think this will work. For $10.50, I bought a Back Trails Adult Double Gel seat cover.
The cover has a draw string and it fits perfectly over the ring. I folded the point of the seat cover into the back of the cover against itself to give it added support and zip-tied it to the ring bracket. It doesn't move at all. And it feels really good.

Here's a couple pics:

Now all I have to do is ride it around and see what happens.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and skepticism to put all our trust in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.

Bural
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Bural » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:02 pm

Great idea. Where did you buy it?
Richard & Jan
1996 Ural Tourist R90 sold
Dnepr MT 16 R80 A work in progress
BMW R90/Dnepr Project (The Beepr)

Barbosa
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Barbosa » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:46 pm

I got it at Target. I just got in from a 65 mile run and it works pretty good. You still know that seat is there behind you, but the blows are softened up pretty good. On the big bumps, you still have to lean forward though. Still, it ain't bad for $10.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and skepticism to put all our trust in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.

jerbunch
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by jerbunch » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:55 pm

That looks like a great, inexpensive solution to a problem. I had a Tombstone Luggage bag laying around from my old 95 Harley, and tried it on the Patrol. The ring on the rear seat fits right up under the backrest on the bag, and it works great as well. Downside: the bag retails for around 150 USD :(

In the pic it looks brown, but in reality is indeed black!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerbunch

2011 Patrol, White "Stoli"
05 Patrol (gone, but not forgotten)
05 Stella
2011 Super Low HD
2009 Burgman 650
2007 BMW R1200RT
2007 BMW F800ST

Barbosa
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Barbosa » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:29 pm

Well, one thing ya'll have to remember, it's not a back support. I should have retitled the thread. All this does is soften the point of the back seat a bit.

propwash
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by propwash » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:35 pm

what comes around...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pigdog
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by pigdog » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:29 pm

Those seat covers are pretty nice. Occasionally, I actually use one on my bicycle. I also like to use one when I'm sighting in one of my larger caliber rifles. I need to re-mount the scope on my .300 WinMag one of these days. The pad will definitely come out for that!
'00 Ural BC 650 "Strekoza" Gone but not forgotten.
'11 Ural Patrol T
'04 Silverado 2500HD "Old Shaky"
'97 Honda Foreman 400

"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - R. Feynman

a1930ford
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Lower back support

Post by a1930ford » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:40 am

:lurker:
Last edited by a1930ford on Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barbosa
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Barbosa » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:39 am

It was your idea, a1930ford, that made me come up with what I did. I remember when you first did it, but just now getting around to it. I went to Big Lots, but they weren't helpful at all. How's things in Abilene?

eisenmann
Comrade
Comrade

Post by eisenmann » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:22 pm

holy shite! There's more than two texans with Urals!! :cheers:
Gear-Up 2006

Barbosa
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Barbosa » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:49 pm

Soon to be 5 that I know of, and that includes you. Let's get together and burn some blacktop.

Well....warm it a bit at least.

a1930ford
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Back suport

Post by a1930ford » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:41 am

:lurker:
Last edited by a1930ford on Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

uraldog
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by uraldog » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:16 pm

next time put it in gear when the wind is at your back :lol: :lol:

Tin Man
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tin Man » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:02 pm

Is that another TEXAS voice that I hear in the wilderness? :party:
Mike
2007 GearUp (Arctic #1)
130/45 jets, KTM rock solid mirrors, Delaware Dave's outstanding trunk lock, Mr. Cob's most excellent skid plate, Cycra Probend smashproof hand guards, Duro strong like bull 307's, RotoPax damn near bulletproof fuel cans, MKIII all but water proof air box and Dimples super duper magnetic drain plugs all around...oh yeah, and a manual fuel petcock.

.........if you see something that needs doing, just do it........

QBall
Commissar
Commissar

Post by QBall » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:02 pm

Here is a lumbar support I designed.
QBall
2007 Gear Up - Yertle
2000 Triumph TBird

CURD Ambassador to Connecticut