OEM windshield, mounted but.........

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
doug
Comrade General
Comrade General

Re: OEM windshield, mounted but.........

Post by doug » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:37 pm

Hi Adam,

You have done nothing wrong; this has come up before. The stock fairing was made to fit rigs that didn't have the current left turn signal bracket (maybe required only in the U.S. and Canada?), and as you will discover over time with more than just a few parts, the folks at Ural felt it was "good enough" because you could still get the fairing on, and as such they did not make the necessary changes to the fairing when the new turn signal bracket was added. I fiddled with mine quite a bit and there is no way you will get the fairing to sit on the light well unless you cut a notch for the turn signal bracket in it. Here is a previous post about it:

http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/view ... 34#p155233

Best Regards,
Doug
In the stable:
2007 Ural Patrol: 35,000+ km, Winner of the highly coveted "Cleanest Ural" award at CRAP 2011 & 2012
1988 BMW R100RT (owned since new)
2012 Honda Goldwing

Previous Steeds: 1987 BMW K75S, 1979 Kawasaki KE 250, 1982 Honda MB-5

Ivan Rider
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Ivan Rider » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:37 pm

I put my mounts under the handle bars and didn't cut or modify the fairing at all. Fit just fine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ivan Rider AKA: Dennis
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivanrider/
5 Urals - White 2010 SoloT, White '08 Retro, Blue '05 Troyka & OD '99 Patrol
3 BMWs 2 with Sidecars & 1 Solo
2 Honda Big Ruckus's -1 Solo & 1 w/ Sidecar

sspect
Comrade
Comrade

Post by sspect » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:38 pm

The're all a little different....with one inch bar risers....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2012 Retro M70
2012 BMW R1200 GSA

doug
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by doug » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:21 am

Ivan Rider wrote:I put my mounts under the handle bars and didn't cut or modify the fairing at all. Fit just fine.
Absolutely no offense intended here but from the top photo it appears that a bit more of the head light is sticking through the fairing at 10 o'clock on the light than it is at 4 o'clock (as you're facing the bike) where the turn signal bracket is. Yes, by Russian standards mine "Fit just fine" (mine was installed by the dealer) and your fairing appears to be about where mine was if the fairing was set out (forward) almost at the open end of the slots in the mounting brackets that slip over the headlight bolts. I cut the little notch in the bottom of the fairing and I was able to push the mounting brackets that slip over the headlight bolts to a more secure position on the headlight bolts (deeper into the slots) and get the fairing to fit the same all around the light.

Kind Regards,
Doug
In the stable:
2007 Ural Patrol: 35,000+ km, Winner of the highly coveted "Cleanest Ural" award at CRAP 2011 & 2012
1988 BMW R100RT (owned since new)
2012 Honda Goldwing

Previous Steeds: 1987 BMW K75S, 1979 Kawasaki KE 250, 1982 Honda MB-5

wall018

Post by wall018 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:33 am

When I picked up my GU in June I bought the oem fairing, I should have had the dealer install it being that it is a bit of a pain. I figured it was too warm out anyway and that I'd install it in the late fall. Dmitry of Ural of New England walked me through the install process when I took delivery of the bike, so I took notes and put it on today. His instructions worked very well, but I still had a few trial and errors attempting the fit. First he told me to cut off about 1/2" from the headlight mounting tabs as to not scratch the headlight mount. Then cut a slot about 1/4" wide at the six o'clock position of the headlight hole, and place weather striping on the edges. Mount the fairing with the handlebar clamps and headlight tabs positioning them as centered as possible. Then mount the rubber ring with 4 small self tapping screws when you get it in the right position. It seems this method allows for turn-signal stalk clearance and a tighter fit around the headlamp. It all worked very well. Good luck!
2011 Ural Gear Up Matte Black
2010 HD Road Glide Custom Vivid Black
2009 Kawasaki KLR650 Gloss Black
2007 HD Street Bob Denim Black
1974 HD Golf Cart
1973 HD TX-125 Vivid Black
Do motorcycles come in other colors?

EricD
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by EricD » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:25 am

What is everyone using to do all this cutting? A simple hacksaw? I'm worried about making a bit of a pig's breakfast of a $300 accessory. It wouldn't be the first time. :(
2016 Ural Patrol
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 BMW F 800 R (Lori's bike)
2013 Bonneville T100 with sidecar

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:18 am

EricD wrote:What is everyone using to do all this cutting? A simple hacksaw? I'm worried about making a bit of a pig's breakfast of a $300 accessory. It wouldn't be the first time. :(

I used a hacksaw. You don't have to make a very big notch to get around the turn signal bracket. Take your time.
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Darrell - Albuquralque
2014 Patrol - Babe the Blue Ox
EFI Map OR 1.02
Throttle Body Vacuum Ports
K&N Air Filter
Raceway 2-into-1 Header (Right Side)
Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM)

Adam
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Adam » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:45 am

I used a metal hole punch to punch a hole then a small cut off wheel on a dremel to cut up to the hole from the bottom of the fairing. I then cut a rubber grommet in half and slid that around the notch that I made. 8)

If you don't have a metal hole punch, a drill could possibly do the same thing. Yes, take your time.

Adam
2011 Gobi Gear Up

To me the glass is not half empty, nor is it half full. The glass is just twice as large as what's needed.

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:57 am

Adam wrote:I used a metal hole punch to punch a hole then a small cut off wheel on a dremel to cut up to the hole from the bottom of the fairing. I then cut a rubber grommet in half and slid that around the notch that I made. 8)

If you don't have a metal hole punch, a drill could possibly do the same thing. Yes, take your time.

Adam
This solution sounds like it would be much cleaner and look somewhat professional....Good suggestion Adam.
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Darrell - Albuquralque
2014 Patrol - Babe the Blue Ox
EFI Map OR 1.02
Throttle Body Vacuum Ports
K&N Air Filter
Raceway 2-into-1 Header (Right Side)
Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM)

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:50 am

EricD wrote:What is everyone using to do all this cutting? A simple hacksaw? I'm worried about making a bit of a pig's breakfast of a $300 accessory. It wouldn't be the first time. :(
I just used a file, quick, easy, and neat.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

EricD
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by EricD » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:51 am

Yes, thanks for the suggestions. Perhaps it's not so intimidating. Cutting this is so permanent.
2016 Ural Patrol
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge

rivers
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by rivers » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:44 pm

Seems to be more than one specific way to do this. Mine was dealer installed when I bought the bike(011). From the front view the rubber ring is pretty equally spaced around the headlight. Pretty much no gap but at the bottom of the light the rubber rig extends about 0.5" forward of the light. I've got about 0.25" gap between the fairing and the bracket for the turn signal staulk. I suspect if the 0.5" forward of the headlight gap were closed up the sheet metal would have to be slotted for the turn sig bracket. FWIW the headlight bolts are about 3/4 of the way into the slotted ears that the headlight bolts slide into. On the tube braces to the bars mine are forward(away side) of the bars. Prolly what others consider under the bars. The left tube clamps sits about 0.5" from the end of the rubber boot tip on the clutch gear. The cable actually touches the tube brace. Looks like a future chafe point so I'll slip in a piece of fuel line or similar in between so vibration doesn't bite me later.Tube sticks out the bottom of the clamp about an inch. On the throttle side the tube clamp sits about 0.25" from the head of the bolt that holds the banjo fitting to the master cyl. Tube has about 0.5" stick out at the bottom of the clamp. All above measurements are eyeballed. I would loosen and lightly snug everything up so you can knock things around with your hand or a rubber mallet. Hope this helps more than confuses. I may have my camera at home or it may be at my sons house. If I can get some pics I'll PM you for your email and send them to you. I don't have a pic hosting account so posting pics on a web forum has never worked for me.
Good luck. Great fairings but a pretty generic mounting system.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

EricD
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by EricD » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:18 pm

There's an upload attachements tab under the reply box. You can upload pictures that way. I'd like to see your arrangment.
2016 Ural Patrol
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge

markhas
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by markhas » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:29 am

If you DIY with a hacksaw, use a fine pitched tooth blade, like a minimum of 14 TPI, 18 or 24 are better choices.
markhas
AMA member
ABATE Wisconsin
06' Tourist 41167/over 75,000Km, 91" 750 Honda Nighthawk sold to my buddy Ernie, we keep in touch.

Hogmaine

Post by Hogmaine » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:41 am

Dremel tool, cutoff wheel, and 1/4" fine cylinder wheel.
I also had to trim the opposite side as the sheet metal was not really formed properly.
“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” Leonardo da Vinci
2016 Versys 650 LT
2011 Gear Up