OEM windshield, mounted but.........

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
Adam
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

OEM windshield, mounted but.........

Post by Adam » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:53 pm

I have a 2011 Gear Up Gobi , ordered OEM fairing. Showed up at my doorstep Saturday, opened the box and mounted it to the bike. I really like the look of the fairing and really enjoy less wind on me. :D I have only one complaint and maybe it's how I mounted it. But there is a gap around the headlight, seems the fairing should go back over the headlight alot more than what I have it. I have the bottom of the fairing 1/4" away from the left turn signal bracket. Unless I cut some of the bracket down or cut a small notch otta the fairing, I can't move it back any more. Allow me to show ya....

Here's the gap that I am talking about.

Here's the left turn signal bracket.

Here's a front view.

Curious to see if that is how others with the OEM fairing have the same gap.

I have read in a few posts about the OEM windshield that some have bent the left handlebar bracket that bolts to the windshield. I did not do that. Less bends are better, IMO. I have those brackets going underneath my handlebars. I tried them on the topside of the handlebars, but the bracket angle to windshield did not look right to me. That means if I could take the bottom of the fairing closer to the bike, I would have to rebend the handlebar fairing brackets.

The gap is not that bad at night, but the headlight does shine on the backside of the fairing a bit. I would love to have the bottom of the fairing pushed back a few inches so the rubber circle is actually around the headlight. Sometimes you just have to say "it's what it is" and I could live with it. I think I could come up with something to fill that gap up a bit. Maybe a clay tile rubber boot that would fit around the headlight. Just thinking...........

Anyways, I would enjoy any thoughts on this.

thanks
adam
2011 Gobi Gear Up

To me the glass is not half empty, nor is it half full. The glass is just twice as large as what's needed.

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: OEM windshield, mounted but.........

Post by Albuquralque » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:57 pm

Adam,

For some reason I can't see the pics. I do know that on my first Ural I had the OEM fairing and I had to cut a small notch in the fairing around the left turn signal to get it to fit properly.
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Darrell - Albuquralque
2014 Patrol - Babe the Blue Ox
EFI Map OR 1.02
Throttle Body Vacuum Ports
K&N Air Filter
Raceway 2-into-1 Header (Right Side)
Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM)

Adam
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Adam » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:10 pm

Coluralado

I am using a Leech Protect software on my server, shouldnt be a prob cuz I gave sovietsteeds permission :D

adam
2011 Gobi Gear Up

To me the glass is not half empty, nor is it half full. The glass is just twice as large as what's needed.

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:31 pm

Maybe its the angle of the first pic, but it looks like the fairing isn't on square. I would also agree that it seems like it should go back to where the headlight is roughly in line with the rubber around the hole in the fairing.

Darrell - Albuquralque
EFI Map OR 1.02
K&N Air Filter
Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM)

gflapg
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by gflapg » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:03 pm

Go to Ural Of New Englands website and look at the Ural Inventory. They have large pictures of a couple rigs they have for sale with the OEM windshield. You should be able to see how they do it.
May all beings be blessed by the three jewels
May the planet be at peace, and the earth stay beautiful
May all beings be happy
May all have good fortune

"When the mind is clear, one can sip tea; when the spirit is at ease, one can talk of aspiration."

2010 GU ( the year before that goofy Pecans and Cream Version)
2003 Raceway Custom Built Wolf
1993 Solo

Railbender
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Railbender » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:44 am

I had to cut a slot for the turn signal bracket in mine to get a proper fit.

:cheers:
The shortest distance between two points is boring.
2010 Ural Patrol & 2011 ST.

Msblu79
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by Msblu79 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:41 am

Railbender wrote:I had to cut a slot for the turn signal bracket in mine to get a proper fit.

:cheers:
Same here, shame they don't provide clearance from the factory but you have to cut a slot into the faring to clear the bracket and then the fairing will sit all the way back. I used my touch up paint to finish the area but the new bikes don't come with that anymore I heard. Maybe a suggestion to relay to the factory about the need to update the fairing to work with the current bikes. Had to bend and reshape the mounting ears as well to get them on all the way and the headlight bolts in. Be very careful when tightening the windshield hardware, don't go crazy on the force, just snug them up or you will crack the window, BTDT. :)
2010 Black Patrol 90,000km's
Modtop airbox, 2013 branch pipes, Perch rings, Drilled slides, Gossie needles, 145 mains, 45 pilots, insulated manifolds, Modtop pushrods, Dual FMF exhaust, PA Multi-spark system w/ VOES, Spin on filter conversion, Royal Purple fluids.

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:25 am

That's one reason we love these rigs so much. Even OEM parts have to be modified to fit! The OEM fairing is built to fit a Ural without a turn signal. (Makes sense cause the only reason the turn signal is there is for DOT).

Darrell - Albuquralque
EFI Map OR 1.02
K&N Air Filter

Adam
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Adam » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:53 am

Thanks for the info. I will be working on it this weekend. Maybe I will grab some pics to show others what has to be done. My dealer shipped me touch up paint, so atleast I have that. I did notice the rubber ring on the fairing for the headlight is not centered, lol. Something else to fix. For the rest of this week, I'll be ridin it as is and enjoyin every minute.

Adam
2011 Gobi Gear Up

Adam
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Adam » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:57 am

Railbender, are your brackets on top of the handlebars or underneath? And did you have to bend them a tad bit? I checked on that New England site, and all the brackets are on top. I installed mine underneath. Guess that's something else I will be changing. Oh well, gives me some time tinkerin :boogie:

Adam
2011 Gobi Gear Up

elliotf
Party Member
Party Member

Post by elliotf » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:08 am

screen notch.JPG
I hope this picture helps..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Msblu79

Post by Msblu79 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:18 am

The headlight never seems to line up to the rest of the front end so it won't always sit correctly relative to the opening in the fairing as well as the rubber boot being off a little makes for an interesting time getting it all lined up. :foilhead: :lol:
2010 Black Patrol 90,000km's
Modtop airbox, 2013 branch pipes, Perch rings, Drilled slides, Gossie needles, 145 mains, 45 pilots, insulated manifolds, Modtop pushrods, Dual FMF exhaust, PA Multi-spark system w/ VOES, Spin on filter conversion, Royal Purple fluids.

Hogmaine

Post by Hogmaine » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:13 pm

I had to cut out for directional bracket, also had to trim opposite side or fairing almost in the same spot because there was excess material, which rubbed on forks.
Nice to see a Gobi fairing mounted I went with black, but now I paint it to match the gobi.
“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” Leonardo da Vinci
2016 Versys 650 LT
2011 Gear Up

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:53 pm

Adam wrote:Railbender, are your brackets on top of the handlebars or underneath? And did you have to bend them a tad bit? I checked on that New England site, and all the brackets are on top. I installed mine underneath. Guess that's something else I will be changing. Oh well, gives me some time tinkerin :boogie:

Adam
Not exactly sure what you mean by top vs bottom. The bolt of the handlebar mount bracket should go forward (bottom?). That means the tube brace that connects to the fairing will be on the aft (inside, top) part of handle bar....meaning the side that you see when sitting on the rig.
Ural%20Fairing%202.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Darrell - Albuquralque
EFI Map OR 1.02
K&N Air Filter

elliotf
Party Member
Party Member

Post by elliotf » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:09 pm

screen mount.JPG
I had to mount mine like this..