Raceway Engine Guard...

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
BinDerSmokDat
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Raceway Engine Guard...

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Wed May 11, 2011 11:17 pm

Installed the new Raceway Engine Guard tonight. The stock guard has taken a few hits off road. On the tight NJ trails I have a tendency to stay left so the monkey doesn't eat tree branches all day long. I find that this is the key to a successful Uralista marriage. :) However that means that anything sticking out on the left snags the engine guard. Mine is cracking bent and rusted...all since August. Also my foot slips off the peg at times especially in the slop. I decided to beef up this critical area before setting off for the NJDH this week.

The platform is big, big enough to rest my whole size 14.5 foot on. It changes the shifting a little, as I use to hang my foot of the peg and do the "lift and stomp" on the heel shifter. Now you foot is pretty parallel to the bike, so it's a little different, but not bad. I'm guessing a day or so of riding and I'll be use to that. I have to adjust the hell/toe as I won't be able to get my toes under to find neutral when wearing motoX boots.

There was a slight interference between the peg/foot stand portion and the muffler, so I asked "WWID?" I ended up just slipping it on, wiggling the foot peg (the part that bolts to the bike is a stock Ural peg mount) until I could get the lock washer and nut on, then cranked it until it was on snug. It's touching the muffler, I'll see how it works and maybe work on bending the muffler bracket after everything settles in.

I'll get some pics of it on the bike and do some real-world testing this weekend.

Tin Man
Commissar
Commissar

Re: Raceway Engine Guard...

Post by Tin Man » Wed May 11, 2011 11:55 pm

:lurker:
Mike
2007 GearUp (Arctic #1)
130/45 jets, KTM rock solid mirrors, Delaware Dave's outstanding trunk lock, Mr. Cob's most excellent skid plate, Cycra Probend smashproof hand guards, Duro strong like bull 307's, RotoPax damn near bulletproof fuel cans, MKIII all but water proof air box and Dimples super duper magnetic drain plugs all around...oh yeah, and a manual fuel petcock.

.........if you see something that needs doing, just do it........

Niteblues
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Niteblues » Thu May 12, 2011 12:09 am

mine's all bent up too...I'm gonna be in the market for an engine guard soon too.
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

"You can ride farther in one hour than you can walk in a day"

"Media bias contributes to erosion of the perception of truth." Tanya Marcum

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Thu May 12, 2011 5:06 am

niteblues59 wrote:mine's all bent up too...I'm gonna be in the market for an engine guard soon too.
Well for shear beefiness, the Raceway guard is tough to beat.
Well Scott I can recommend the Raceway part so far.
Fit and finish is pretty nice, plus the snazzy angle look better than the stock guard.

I've always liked ReCycled's (Dave) homemade engine guard brace.
It braces to the foot peg like the Raceway guard.
But given my welding skills (or lack thereof) I gave up on fabbing something.

Also an unintended benefit is having a whole lot more room for your foot,
which translates into more versatility in stretching your legs and riding position on long rides.

You can set your foot on the edge of the platform, slide it back a good 5" from where the stock peg ends or move it forward about 5".
You are some what limited on forward movement by the jug but still a lot of real estate there for your foot.
Also now that the engine guard is braced sturdily to the peg and the top of the Raceway guard is straighter, laying your leg on top of the guard "highway peg" style is a possibility.

Lastly I figure stupid Ural tricks, like standing on one foot on the left peg, with right leg extended up and straight back and no hands on the handle bars will be a lot easier.
Don't ask me how I know this is possible. I still need some more practice before I attempt in public. :oops:
It would make dismounting the bike for seat "surfing" easier as well.
Lastly you might even be able stand with both feet on the left platform and fly the chair. :shock: Again this would require some more practice.

berger
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by berger » Thu May 12, 2011 7:02 am

niteblues59 wrote:mine's all bent up too...I'm gonna be in the market for an engine guard soon too.
Nice guard!

Scott, if you don't want to go the route of the platform, get one of the Adventure Kit guards. I picked this one up while at CRAP (from UralNW). Cheaper option, plenty strong enough for what I do, and gives your foot another place to rest.
engineguard.JPG
Last edited by berger on Thu May 12, 2011 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Berger

2007 Ural Patrol (1st Owner)
Many, Many Mods.

Niteblues
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Niteblues » Thu May 12, 2011 9:44 am

Try that pic again berger...it doesn't show up.
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

berger
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by berger » Thu May 12, 2011 9:50 am

niteblues59 wrote:Try that pic again berger...it doesn't show up.
Sorry. Check now.
Berger

Many, Many Mods.

Niteblues
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Niteblues » Thu May 12, 2011 10:01 am

Thanks berger- Hey Rich, do you have a pic to compare to berger's?
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

Sailing Rider
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Sailing Rider » Thu May 12, 2011 10:14 am

I put some grip tape on mine (same as Bergers) and find it alot better.
Kerry

2010 Gear Up

berger
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by berger » Thu May 12, 2011 10:14 am

Sailing Rider wrote:I put some grip tape on mine (same as Bergers) and find it alot better.
Great idea!

Sorry for the hijack... :oops:
Berger

Many, Many Mods.

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Thu May 12, 2011 1:55 pm

niteblues59 wrote:Thanks berger- Hey Rich, do you have a pic to compare to berger's?
You are going to see it in person in a little more than 24 hours!

Nah...I thought I took one out in the garage last night when I was installing it and when I got in the house to post....I had forgotten to take one of the damn thing installed! I'll get one posted later.

One thing I CAN say is the platform on the Raceway part is HUGE! It goes from just under the Jug to about 5" behind the stock peg location.
I rode to work today and to get lunch (forgetting AGAIN to snap a pic) and while it was awkward at first, by time I got to work I had all but got the new shifting position down.
With the stock peg, you just kick the heel back, toe pointed out and STOMP!
Because the Raceway platform is so big, your foot might be forward, back, out towards the edge...so you have to be more conscious of foot placement when shifting.

A huge plus...Philly traffic is rough, especially in this neighborhood (under the El, Castor and Frankford, Kensington and Allegheny). The platform gives you a very stable place to stand up and make sure nobody is coming. Today I had to pass a double parked car and enter traffic with cars blocking my line of sight. Also my footing was very sure when I had to stick the hack wheel in a 12" pothole to avoid the truck coming up a one way street.

It's going to make long trips that much more comfortable as well. I can slide to the back of the Road Sofa on the highway, put the right foot on the hack frame, the left on the back of the platform and give the legs and glutes a nice stretch.

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Thu May 12, 2011 2:04 pm

One other thing compared to the Adventure guard...the Raceway sits atop and is welded to the stock Ural peg.
This has two benefits...
The platform is supported by the peg and tied to the engine guard, making for a very secure mounting. There is no metal tab to bend at the peg mounting point, like the adventure guard.
It sits a little higher, so less chance of catching it on something. The lower front of the engine guard is the lowest point on both, but every little bit helps.

Niteblues
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Niteblues » Thu May 12, 2011 2:18 pm

BinDerSmokDat wrote:...
Also my footing was very sure when I had to stick the hack wheel in a 12" pothole to avoid the truck coming up a one way street.
...should've flown it :P
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Thu May 12, 2011 2:34 pm

niteblues59 wrote:
BinDerSmokDat wrote:...
Also my footing was very sure when I had to stick the hack wheel in a 12" pothole to avoid the truck coming up a one way street.
...should've flown it :P
He was coming up my right, so I was moving to the left part of the lane, counter to how I would have to move to lift the wheel.

gflapg
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by gflapg » Thu May 12, 2011 4:03 pm

Left raceway footguard from above,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
May all beings be blessed by the three jewels
May the planet be at peace, and the earth stay beautiful
May all beings be happy
May all have good fortune

"When the mind is clear, one can sip tea; when the spirit is at ease, one can talk of aspiration."

2010 GU ( the year before that goofy Pecans and Cream Version)
2003 Raceway Custom Built Wolf
1993 Solo