Install w/ Pics!: Moose Contour Handguards

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
BinDerSmokDat
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Install w/ Pics!: Moose Contour Handguards

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:21 pm

Even with some pretty warm Olympia leather gloves with Gore-Tex and 150g Thinsulate, my fingers get a little cold on long rides. Also, I've had my left hand whacked more than once by branches/logs on narrow trails, usually because I'm trying to keep the monkey from getting whacked in the face by branches.

With this in mind I decided to get some hand guards. My father-in-law was kind enough to send me an Amazon gift card for my birthday, so all I had to do was research the best ones.

After looking at a few in person in local bike shops and online, I decided on the Moose Racing Contour Hand Guards with the Large Competition Hand guard Protectors in Black. I looked for Olive Green hand guards to match the Patrol, but couldn't find any by a name brand manufacturer and they were a "one size fits all" type deal, so I didn't want mix-n-match guards and the protectors. I wanted a clean look that would have people asking, "did they come with the bike?" It was $67.95 for the guards, $24.95 for the protectors, no tax and free shipping. The price wasn't cheap but once I saw them and how well the Protectors fit on the Hand guards, I was very pleased.

The first problem I noticed (What? You didn't think this was going to be easy did you? We're talkin' Urals here!) was the inside bar diameter didn't match the 2 sizes of aluminum cam bushings that were supplied with the handlebars. The bushings supplied fit standard 7/8" and 1 1/8" bars. The Ural is somewhere in between with the 7/8" bushings being too small and the 1 1/8" too big. I don't have a lathe to turn down the big bushings and I didn't want to try and ream out the bars and mess them up. Instead I started scrounging for something to shim the difference. It turns out that some 1/2" copper tubing is just the right size, the bushings fit right in and then the copper fits snugly in the bar ends. I cut two pieces about as long as the bushings and then sawed through one side so that the copper could expand and seat in the bars properly...

A few caveats to keep in mind:

-The hand guards and bushings are aluminum and the handle bars and screws are steel. Take the time to line things up and fit the parts loosely; start the screws by hand and hand tighten only until you get things lined up the way you want them. If you tighten one end and then force the other into position by cranking down on a screw, you will strip somethings.

-Patience! I fit each side several times to align everything properly and to clear the controls.

-Make sure no wires or cables get pinched and that now wiring or cables are getting pulled when the front wheel is in full lock in either direction. You might have to snip a cable tie or two to fit the handle bar clamps and reposition the wires slightly to make sure everything clears OK.

-Blue Loc-Tite all threads. You don't want a hand guard rattling off on the highway or interfering with you controls in any way!

The next step was to drill some holes in the guard bars for the protectors. I guess because you can use more than one size protector on the hand guards Moose doesn't drill and tap them. Instead they supply you with a bit and some hard, fine thread screws that hat cut their own thread when you screw them in. Slip protectors on bars, use a pick to scribe your marks, remove protectors, drill through bars, install protectors, Loc-tite screws and done.

I started with the left side, as it is the easiest due to fewer cables, wires and no throttle to content with. I used an Exacto knife to remove the end of the grip. I left the lip of the grip on to offer some rub protection between my hand and the guard. Mount the hand guard, place the handlebar clamp on and trial fit before tightening.

Mine had to mount with the arm of the clamp going under the clutch lever in order to clear everything properly. YMMV.

You want the horizontal bar of the hand guards level to the ground or slightly upward, depending on the positioning of your levers.

I put a dab of grease in the recess of the end mount screw so it wouldn't gouge, allowing me to get maximum torque down on the screw. Careful not to get any on the aluminum cam or the copper shim. It worked perfectly and after torquing everything down I can lift up on the hand guard and rock the bike as solidly as if I was moving the handle bar. One on, one to go...

Next I had to decide how much to cut off of the throttle tube. The instructions say to loosen the throttle slide it off the bar slightly and to cut the hand grip and throttle tube with a hacksaw. I thought this was a little imprecise and instead decided to cut the hand grip end and the throttle tube with an Exacto knife. You want to remove enough material that the grip or throttle tube aren't rubbing up against the hand guard or you might find yourself with an unintentional cruise control situation. Removing the end lip of the grip and about an 1/8" ring of plastic did the trick for me. An Exacto knife is much better than a Stanley knife here, as it allows better control and cuts through the rubber like a scalpel.

The right hand guard took some finagling to clear the brake cylinder. The clamp was mounted with the arm going over the controls in order to clear everything, opposite to how I installed the left side.

Here is the "bat wing" silhouette of the hand guards installed. The brake lever is actually hanging a little low, I loosened the assembly to get the hand guard over it. I moved it back up and tightened it after this picture.

REMEMBER: MAKE SURE YOUR THROTTLE SNAPS BACK NORMALLY AND THAT THE THROTTLE TUBE, HAND GRIP AND HAND GUARD DO NOT INTERFERE WITH ONE ANOTHER AND THAT YOUR THROTTLE CABLE AND BRAKE LINE ARE NOT GETTING PULLED WHEN TURNING!

There are too few Uralistas as it is, don't need someone riding off a cliff due to stuck throttle, damaged brake line.

Darman
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: Install w/ Pics!: Moose Contour Handguards

Post by Darman » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:43 pm

nice garage!!! (good job on the handguards too...) ;)
09 NATO green Gear Up
73 ironhead "fatster"
3 horses and a mule ( the mule counts as a sidecar....)

"better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it", Capt. Woodrow Call

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Post by S 854 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:33 am

Darman wrote:nice garage!!!
That there is a 'pole barn'....

...and what he said about the handguards/installation... nice...
'07 Arctic: The Russian Raucous Ship

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out...

VWK75S

Post by VWK75S » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:02 am

Darman wrote:nice garage!!!
That was the first thing I noticed. Must have at least 3 bays and only two bikes. :(

BDSD,
When you get some good sunlight can you take better pictures of the final install. :)
John
The Ural's made Maine a much bigger state.

2009 GearUp 145,000kms
2007 Retro 25,000kms
1991 VWK75S 110,000miles

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:31 am

Yes that is my polebarn, 30x40 with three 9x8 doors and all it contains is 2 motorcycles and a makeshift work bench. 1 bay each for the cars and the 3rd is just for motorcycles. There are at least two more bikes in our future, something for the wife to ride and some sort of DS bike or 1100 Ducati Multistrada. This winter I'm going to be epoxying the floor with commercial grade epoxy paint, getting electric installed and relocating some dirt to have an apron poured. Yeah it was snowin' and then rainin' yesterday so I stayed in the garage puttering around. When the rain finally cleared and I wanted to ride the wife informed me Thanksgiving Dinner was ready.
VWK75S wrote:
Darman wrote:BDSD,
When you get some good sunlight can you take better pictures of the final install. :)
John
There will be plenty of sun tomorrow for the NJ Turkey Ride, I'll get some good pics of the hand guards. With all the rain we just had, I'll try to snap the shots before they get too dirty. :twisted:

JohnBG
General Secretary
General Secretary

Post by JohnBG » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:44 pm

You gotta three car garage for just one Ural? :?
John Grocke aka "JohnBG"
Site Administrator - sovietsteeds.com

Current Rides:
'06 Ural Raven - "Vorona"
'09 Kawasaki KLR650 - "Madea"

History:
'98.5 Ural Tourist - "Valentina" - Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Harley Road King FLHPI
1997 Harley Electra Glide FLHTPI
Honda Nighthawk 650 from the mid-80's
1980 Suzuki RM125T
1970 Honda CL100

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Location: The lower southern tier of central upstate NY ,Binghamton,NY

Post by cdscoot » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:48 pm

You gotta have room to do service work! :P
Craig
Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. Every morning is the dawn of a new error .
2010 Patrol T
2016 BMW R1200GS

Nimbus4
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Nimbus4 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:00 am

Do you have a hack windshield? Wondering if these will clear when turning. Pretty tight.

They look good and that is the look I want.
Nimbus4
2013 Gear Up
2005 Kawasaki Concours (Sold)

ASE Certified, CASI Certified Lubrication Tech

"A short cut is often the fastest way to somewhere you were not heading."

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:39 am

Nimbus4 wrote:Do you have a hack windshield? Wondering if these will clear when turning. Pretty tight.

They look good and that is the look I want.
Nope. Windshields only get whacked/beat up off-road, spoil the monkey and divert cold air on to the rider.
I see no reason for a hack windshield. Or even a rider windshield for that matter. :D

That said, the furthest part of your handlebar is the end.
The handguards only add maybe a 1/2" to the width of the bars on each side.
It the ends clear the windshield, the handguards will clear the windshield.

Nimbus4
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Nimbus4 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:38 pm

I plan on riding this winter and a shield helps. Last night while riding around the lake I ate a lot of bugs. I am looking at a windshield that snaps on and off. Just wondering on one that cover hands or a smaller one with hand guards. Leaning towards the smaller one. I like the hand guards. They just look cool on you Ural.
Nimbus4
2013 Gear Up

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:57 am

Nimbus4 wrote:They just look cool on you Ural.
Thanks but they aren't there for the "cool factor."
They have saved my left hand from countless scrapes and probably a fractured finger or two.
Not to mention the clutch lever/left controls.

I've had a few "uh-ohs" where the handle bars bent before the hand guards.
I wouldn't be off-road without them. The wind protection in winter is just a bonus.
Last edited by BinDerSmokDat on Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nimbus4
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Nimbus4 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:29 pm

BinDerSmokDat wrote:
Nimbus4 wrote:They just look cool on you Ural.
Thank,s but they aren't there for the "cool factor."
They have saved my left hand from countless scrapes and probably a fractured finger or two.
Not to mention the clutch lever/left controls.

I've had a few "uh-ohs" where the handle bars bent before the hand guards.
I wouldn't be off-road without them. The wind protection in winter is just a bonus.
Definitely agree about the protection one gets from these. I had hand guards on most of my off road toys in the past. After having a rock peg my knuckle, I put them on my quad.

Where I live and ride, I can go literally 100's of miles on trails. I have been hit by birds, branches, rocks etc... Had a slow motion fall/run off the road on my XT600, if I did not have hand guards I am sure that I would have broken a few hand bones. Nothing worse than a clutch lever bent around the hand.

Have a Good One

So as far as the "Cool Factor" they do look cool and give the Ural the little extra tough look.
Nimbus4
2013 Gear Up

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:20 pm

Update: I switched to MSR High ATV bars, as I had bent my stockers several times.
The Moose hand guard kit comes with inserts for two internal diameters.
The Ural bars required the smaller ones, shimmed out with a copper pipe insert as shown above.
The MSR bars needed the larger inserts...which I saved in a safe location...so safe I couldn't find them. :x
I finally found them but came close to having to buy a new set. :clap:

So if you have stock handlebars, save the larger inserts for the day you upgrade.
If you have upgraded the bars already, save the small inserts.
You might end up with stock Ural bars one day, or you can donate them to someone who needs to mount hand guards or other accessories.

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:47 pm

Nice job on the install! They look great! :thumbsup:
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol