Aftermarket Shocks, anybody experiment?

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
Bigbikerrick
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Aftermarket Shocks, anybody experiment?

Post by Bigbikerrick » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:50 pm

Hello Folks, I have noticed there is a very limited selection of aftermarket shock absorbers available to fit our bikes. What I am wondering, if any one has tried matching up some shocks from any other bikes to fit? Some older Hondas, and possibly other 70's bikes used clevis end shocks.I have seen alot of the cheaper aftermarket shocks for sale on ebay, and some do have a clevis mount at one end. A friend put a pair of those with remote reservoir on the front of his Banshee, and has been happy with them. I think it would be cool to find some alternatives for at least the 2 front shocks. I plan to take some measurements and look around to see what I can find. Any ideas?
Thanks
Rick.
2012 Ural Gear Up / Forest Frog color. 2008 Goldwing Champion Trike, 73 Guzzi Eldorado, 17 Guzzi Griso

GregAus
Comrade General
Comrade General

Re: Aftermarket Shocks, anybody experiment?

Post by GregAus » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:22 pm

Most, if not all clevises are to narrow without major surgery to the Ural mounts, or the new clevises.

Bigbikerrick
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Bigbikerrick » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:09 am

The clevis do look pretty wide, Greg. Crazy little details , that makes Russian Iron different. Gosh, if it had bottom mounts like the tops, on the shocks, the replacement selections would be many, just being able to match them eye to eye by length. I wonder if some sort of "adapter" could be made?
Rick.
2012 Ural Gear Up / Forest Frog color. 2008 Goldwing Champion Trike, 73 Guzzi Eldorado, 17 Guzzi Griso

tstewartCCS42
Comrade
Comrade

Post by tstewartCCS42 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:55 am

I am sure adapters could be made. The problem as I see, it is finding some off-the-shelf shock from another bike with the correct dampening and spring rates will be difficult. Using something not matched will not improve handling performance or could be much worse. Buying shocks from a Penske or Ohlins will be much more expensive than HCS. A single Penske rear shock with reservoir for one of my race bikes was over $1,500.00. Of course that is a very adjustable tuned racing shock but you get the point. I paid $300.00 for each HCS shock. Although pricey, I believe it to be much less costly in the long run plus they are the properly setup for the Ural.
2015 Patrol
2008 Buell XB12XT
2008 & 2009 Buell 1125R Road Race bikes

GregAus
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by GregAus » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:38 pm

Someone on ADVRider once proposed fitting Kawasaki GT550 forks and shocks to a Dnepr. They are air adjustable so they might work. You would have to make modifications. Another person fitted H-D air assisted shocks, but never mentioned the modifications.

If I were to attempt that. I'd use silver solder or brazing so as to minimise heat. A friend who died several years ago, could TIG beer cans together. If I could find someone like that, I would attempt to fit air assisted shocks. I think that they would be excellent.

VWK75S
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2021

Post by VWK75S » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:25 am

My ST came with progressive shocks, but that may be just the springs?
John
The Ural's made Maine a much bigger state.

2010 ST 8000kms
2009 GearUp 160,000kms
2007 Retro 25,000kms
1991 VWK75S 110,000miles

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:08 pm

Damping any kind of force creates heat.

The reservoir shock on a single shock rear of a sport bike is there because that suspension is working hard in the twisties, soaking up road irregularities and the geometry changes as the bike up/downshifts, on top of it being the only shock.

Ural shocks on pavement are not overheating or seeing that degree of action.
A Ural is not changing geometry and moving those shocks to that degree of motion, at the rear the front OR the hack.
A reservoir just isn't needed.

Having done a lot of off roading and having shocks that are most definitely worn but still functioning (damping on rebound within a bounce or so and not leaking) and having ridden new bikes recently, I can't see what advantage anything beyond the available aftermarket shocks (Ikon, Hagon, HCS) would provide.

I've yet to try the Ikons but I suspect with spring rates specifically designed for Urals and the real world testing by enthusiasts from our own community, they would be best.
As opposed to a shock where a maker says "this fits a Ural."
Off the rack vs. tailored fit.

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:52 pm

lambo-tractor-3-featured-533x400-740x480.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RC20
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by RC20 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:03 pm

There is an extensive post on the Horst Shocks (HCS). By far the best value out there and fully sorted to the Ural (two choices).

NP two way adjust and the CP 3 way adjust. About $1000 for the set of NP and $1500 for the CP (I think that is shipped)

While I went for the overkill with CP, very good reports on the NP. I sold some stuff to pay for the CP and delighted.

Ural came out with Nitron (?) shock option, $2500 for a two way shock.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

fencermatt
Party Member
Party Member

Post by fencermatt » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:26 pm

RC20 wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:03 pm
There is an extensive post on the Horst Shocks (HCS). By far the best value out there and fully sorted to the Ural (two choices).
Don't forget about Hagon. They've offered shocks for Urals and Dneprs for years at about 1/2 the price of the HCS shocks. I put a set on my rig last year and am very happy. A huge improvement on the OEM shocks I had before.
Matt Pearsall

1989 Neval MT-16/BMW R80rt (Egor)

bratmanxj
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by bratmanxj » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:34 pm

fencermatt wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:26 pm
RC20 wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:03 pm
Don't forget about Hagon. They've offered shocks for Urals and Dneprs for years at about 1/2 the price of the HCS shocks. I put a set on my rig last year and am very happy. A huge improvement on the OEM shocks I had before.
I actually reached out to Hagon last week just trying to price alternatives. Dave Quinn has retired and Bella Corse (SEL-MOTION Motorsports) out of Michigan is the new US Rep for Hagon. I need 2 shocks for the front of my rig (the rears & sidecar are still good) and HCS was not cost effective. They said I need the classic "Road" shocks with standard diameter springs.

Do you happen to have any information on the Hagon shocks you purchased (model #, spring weight, etc) you can share with someone who's starting to shop?
1999 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
2007 Ural Tourist - The Big Red Brick
Chinese Knock off Honda Trail 70 rescued from the in-laws shed
1984 Suzuki LT125 Quadrunner - Sold off to a Friend
Boats, Jets Skis and Golf Carts...other fun stuff!

fencermatt
Party Member
Party Member

Post by fencermatt » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:43 pm

bratmanxj wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:34 pm
Do you happen to have any information on the Hagon shocks you purchased (model #, spring weight, etc) you can share with someone who's starting to shop?
Yes, I do! I ordered directly from Hagon's headquarters in the UK (https://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/). They have Ural/Dnepr shocks in their catalog, so I asked about ordering the full set of five. They asked me how much weight I usually carry on the bike and in the sidecar to pick the springs, and that was it. Shipping was steep, but that was balanced by the discount off of list-price I got for not having to pay VAT tax.

When I bought them they didn't have any online ordering system, so I did everything via email, but it looks like they're in the process of setting up an online store right now. Either way, email was easy. They were very responsive.
Matt Pearsall

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:58 pm

Yes, I do!
So... would you care to share the product information with us?
Lew Morris
19?? Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL

fencermatt
Party Member
Party Member

Post by fencermatt » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:41 am

Lmo wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:58 pm
Yes, I do!
So... would you care to share the product information with us?
Model # is Ural/Dnepr. Springs are whatever they thought best for 200 pounds of rider and 50 pounds of monkey.
Matt Pearsall

Bigbikerrick
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Bigbikerrick » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:01 pm

I have fitted my Guzzi LeMans and Eldorado with Hagon shocks back when Dave Quinn was doing it, and have been very happy with them. I am considering purchasing a pair just for the front of my Ural. I dont think you can go wrong with those. FWIW, the stock shocks on my 12 GU felt pretty rough in front with 36 psi in the tire. The shocks were 1 click down from maximum on the pre load adj. I set it all the way to the softest, and it has helped tremendously! I like a suspension that is very compliant.
Rick.