Dual Battery Setup for Ural Gear

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
Vargulf

Dual Battery Setup for Ural Gear

Post by Vargulf » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:31 pm

not sure this has been posted already, did try to search, but did not find anything.
Wondering if anyone has set up a dual battery setup on their Ural Gear Up? planning to attempt making a dual battery setup and placing the 2nd battery in the trunk. The dual battery will be for running accessories when the bike is off and act as an emergency batter should it be needed.
Have a basic understanding of electronic and saw the following diagrams
41LjjhpzIGL._SL1600_.jpg
Screenshot 2021-06-08 at 14-20-50 Amazon com Blue Sea Systems Fuse Block ST Blade 12 Circuit with Ground and Cover, 5026 Fu[...].png
my question will this work, what gauge wire is needed to connect the batteries, would it be 4 AWG ?
any help, suggestions would be greatly appreciated
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
As kids we loved heroes, As adults we understand the villains

2013 Ural solo Retro
2020 Ural Gear Up

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Re: Dual Battery Setup for Ural Gear

Post by Tomcatfixer » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:08 pm

Use a wire length to current draw chart to select your wire gauge. Here is one example: https://www.tech.txdi.org/dcwiringchart

If you plan to use the additional battery to start the motorcycle, then select wire that can handle up to 100 amps for the starter.

If it were me, I would install the second battery in an ammo can, hanging off the side of the hack, to retain precious trunk space.

Don't forget to install an isolator between the batteries, so that you can charge them both without needing to wire them in parallel.
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "Little Red Bear", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", Mid-Nineties Ural Tourist "The Heap", 1994 Honda VFR750F, 2007 BMW K1200GT

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

windmill
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by windmill » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:48 pm

These days a lithium jump pack seems like it might a better way to accomplish the same thing, while being more versatile, and taking less space?
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

Eric N

Post by Eric N » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:24 pm

windmill wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:48 pm
These days a lithium jump pack seems like it might a better way to accomplish the same thing, while being more versatile, and taking less space?
The stock Ural battery doesn't like to be deep cycled. If you drain it powering accessories and then jumpstart with a lithium pack, you'll get the bike running but you'll have a very short battery life on the main battery.

The Ural battery is also rather small. At around $100 a pop to replace the Ural battery, running a 2nd battery that's larger/ better designed for deep cycling makes more sense than a lithium pack for what the OP wants to do. That said, I have pigtails hardwired for a lithium pack on mine, it's saved me twice so far.
2018 Gear Up 825cc
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

windmill

Post by windmill » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:55 pm

Eric N wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:24 pm
windmill wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:48 pm
The stock Ural battery doesn't like to be deep cycled. If you drain it powering accessories and then jumpstart with a lithium pack, you'll get the bike running but you'll have a very short battery life on the main battery.

The Ural battery is also rather small. At around $100 a pop to replace the Ural battery, running a 2nd battery that's larger/ better designed for deep cycling makes more sense than a lithium pack for what the OP wants to do. That said, I have pigtails hardwired for a lithium pack on mine, it's saved me twice so far.
Some jump packs are setup to be used as power source with USB and 110v outlets, just use it to power whatever directly instead of using the bikes battery. They can even be charged by the bike. Not sure what a second battery could do that a jump pack couldn't, and it can be used any time, any place.
I've been shopping for one, but haven't made the leap yet so I have no personal experience, but my research sure seems to indicate they're a better, more versatile option. Am I wrong?

Maybe something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086J ... _qh_dp_hza
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2018/20 M70

Eric N

Post by Eric N » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:50 am

windmill wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:55 pm
Some jump packs are setup to be used as power source with USB and 110v outlets, just use it to power whatever directly instead of using the bikes battery. They can even be charged by the bike. Not sure what a second battery could do that a jump pack couldn't, and it can be used any time, any place.
I've been shopping for one, but haven't made the leap yet so I have no personal experience, but my research sure seems to indicate they're a better, more versatile option. Am I wrong?

Maybe something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086J ... _qh_dp_hza
It's all going to come down to what accessories someone is running, your power needs and drain.

That battery pack you mention can power a 50W item for 1.5 hours, according to the site. With Lithium batteries when they publish things like 24000 Milliamp Hours, it's like some synthetic conversion usually with a disclaimer. I'll trust their 75 Watt hours more.

https://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Max-Batte ... B00K8E0WAG is a deep cycle battery

It's 35Ah or 420 Watt Hours, and without totally draining it, let's say there is 250 Watt hours of safely usable juice in it.

Just about everything I run, from phone to laptop, has it's own battery that will last a couple days. I can charge them when the bike is running. For someone who is looking for a real external powersource, the Lithium packs may not have adequate juice beyond powering a small handful of things for a short period of time.
2018 Gear Up 825cc
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

windmill

Post by windmill » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:21 am

Eric N wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:50 am
It's all going to come down to what accessories someone is running, your power needs and drain.
I guess that's it there in a nutshell. Without knowing the OP's needs, we can only go by our own.

Personally I can't think of any potential use a jump back couldn't accomplish. Charge/power a phone or laptop, run a tire inflator, a work or camp light, jump starting.

When I drove longhaul, I used the truck batteries and inverter to power a fridge, microwave, TV, heated blanket, and power tools, but I don't foresee needing any of those on my Ural, and a second bike battery would be entirely inadequate for such things anyway.
Barry

2018/20 M70

vetsurginc
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by vetsurginc » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:52 am

I've had good experiences with my jump pack. It's able to start diesel trucks (haven't tried that), reluctant Lexus, Subaru, and my GU, as welll as power my laptop, gig lights, and stay charged for months of just sitting. Yet it is small enough to fit a cargo pocket on my jeans. Mine is 4 years old and going strong.
Doug
2011 GearUp Vasily (Васи́лий) Main 125, idle 38, Raceway needles, and stock exhaust, MKIII air filter
2010 R1200RT Gustav, now gone to another owner.

Vargulf

Post by Vargulf » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:26 am

Thank you all for your advise and suggestions, since I am very new to Ural and your insight is extremely helpful. My current use for my Ural gear up is delivery (Door dash/ bite squad) *(GPS and Phone) and mobile office *(laptop, phone ) at parks or look outs near beaches, perks of living on an island. Occasionally also using for camping , which means some of the accessories above, plus CB radio since some spots cell reception is bad to none.
Therefore a lot of my power consumptions are during the time my bike is not running .That being said and Ideas, suggestions or helpful insight are truly welcome and appreciated.
As kids we loved heroes, As adults we understand the villains

2013 Ural solo Retro
2020 Ural Gear Up

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:09 pm

If it helps, I use a jump pack for 'accessories' (USB based) - and can recharge it from the Ural when riding it next (if I don't have access to the mains)

As for cycling, my first one died because I wasn't using it for long periods - when I wasn't camping or taking trips - so my current one is used frequently to recharge phone, cameras etc., then gets recharged itself. Seems successful so far.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

Scott E
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Scott E » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:08 pm

The safest thing to do is use a deep cycle battery in the trunk and not connect it to the bikes electrical system at all making it a total waste system. Then recharge the deep cycle battery when you park the bike. You can mount a battery charger for it in the trunk as well and a plug for plugging it in. You can keep the accessories you run separate from the bikes electrical system so you can always drain the deep cycle battery without fear of not being able to start the bike. You will not be able to recharge the deep cycle battery as you drive but unless you are going completely off the grid for an extended period of time you'll be able to recharge the deep cycle battery overnight at a camp ground or if staying in Hotel/Motel rooms keep the battery portable in a dedicated container and take it in the room to recharge it along with your bags you would take in as well. I had a friend with a Honda 1200cc Goldwing which were infamous for burning up stators. He put a deep cycle battery in a saddlebag and ran a total waster electrical system for several years until he could afford a "Poor Boy" alternator system and get help installing it, which I did for him. He would ride the bike all day and recharge the battery at night. He also converted all the bulbs to LED to reduce power drain. He installed a headlight switch and ran with no headlight on during the day and was never stopped for doing that. At the time LED's were not bright enough for headlights. I remember when that motorcycle headlight on all the time law was passed which was supposed to make you more visible but even with the headlight on people still can't see motorcycles, tractor-trailers, or mile long trains anyway.

aduthie

Post by aduthie » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:03 pm

I think the Battery Doctor will work for what you’re looking for, Vargulf. Amazon suggested a competing product that sells as a kit, from a company called KeyLine. The KeyLine one seems to sell as a kit with some pretty serious wire for when you need to use the auxiliary battery to help with starting. It does sound like using a wall charger is still a good idea for replenishing the auxiliary battery. And as others have said, using a deep cycle battery for the auxiliary side would be a good idea for your intended use.
Andrew Duthie / Nashville Motorcycle Repair / Nashville, TN

Bar None
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Bar None » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:57 pm

vetsurginc wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:52 am
I've had good experiences with my jump pack. It's able to start diesel trucks (haven't tried that), reluctant Lexus, Subaru, and my GU, as welll as power my laptop, gig lights, and stay charged for months of just sitting. Yet it is small enough to fit a cargo pocket on my jeans. Mine is 4 years old and going strong.
I have one like yours too. It is amazing how long it will stay charged. Only used it a few time to jump start autos and my tractor. It is in the trunk of my Ural. I bought it from Amazon in 2018. It is no longer available there. Guess they have fancier ones.
51q42Cj6a2L._SY90_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vince in Fort Myers,FL or Robbinsville,NC
Owned a 2012 Yamal and a 2015 cT in the past.
2021 Ural cT
2020 Ice Bear Vision 150 scooter

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:31 pm

I can't full understand the need for a 2nd battery in the Ural but I use the Battery Doctor automatic isolator in my camper van.
I can run the ceiling fan/vent all night long to keep the interior cool, auxiliary lights, power inverter and charge electronics off the house battery, all while leaving my engine battery fully charged.
When I go to start the van, Battery Doctor tops off the engine battery first then the house battery.
if you should do something silly like leave the headlights on, you can jump the engine battery from the house battery by pushing an override button.
It's worked flawlessly in the last 2.5 years of camping.
It requires no thought to use and your house battery will charge up automatically while driving.
You don't have to remember to charge it when you get home.