Adding LED lights

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
rfortier

Adding LED lights

Post by rfortier » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:38 pm

HI Folks
I am a relative Newbie with a 2019 CT. I am considering adding some LED lighting. I don't do a lot of night driving but added visibility for me and for others to see me is always a good thing. So looking for any input on the fork mounted lights v sidecar bumper lights would be appreciated.
Current Rides:

1980 BMW R65
2019 Ural cT
Seacoast NH

Eric N
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: Adding LED lights

Post by Eric N » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:24 pm

Lights.jpg
You might first want to check your state laws about driving on the road with extra lights. Different states have different rules, I believe my current setup is not legal in many states for road use if turned on, and as bright as they are, I wouldn't want to blind other drivers anyway. They totally daylight an area, very bright.

I prefer higher mounted lights, but was never a fan of the old tub mounted spotlight look that I had on my 2001. The current lights are mounted to the fender and turn signal bracket and offer excellent brightness but again are setup for offroad or nobody around levels of driving. I have each light pointing different areas, gives me a wide sweep to balance out the high beam.

There are retrofits for the old tub mounted spotlight if you want to go that route. Again I don't like the look but it's a good location for a light. It gives aim-ability, you just need to swap the lens/ bulb for LED. Plenty of threads on the parts needed for that. The current bumper mounted lights are too low for my use, plus I tend to rub the bumper where I park at work and would probably break them.
2001 Patrol.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2018 Gear Up 825cc
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

rfortier

Post by rfortier » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:48 pm

Thanks for the response. I didn't even think about the legal aspect of adding LED lighting other than the headlight. These fork mounts ( Ural of New England) would seem to meet my need, but I do like the look of the bumper mounted set.

https://www.uralne.com/fork-mounted-led ... ro-models/
Current Rides:

1980 BMW R65
2019 Ural cT
Seacoast NH

GHGoodwin

Post by GHGoodwin » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:28 am

Consider that "driving" lights have a narrow and longer projecting beam while "fog" lights tend to have a shorter and wider beam pattern. Also consider the color of the lightoutput (deg K) ; bluish, white, more towards amber.

Proper aiming is critical. Any badly aimed light will blind oncoming traffic. The center of your headlamp low beam should be as high as the center of the lens at 20ft. High beam about 4in below that to prevent offense. I set my aux driving lights just below the high beam. My fog lamps are car fender mounted and set like the low beam - center of beam at 20ft as high as center of lens is off the ground. I also set my right fog a bit off center towards the road edge.
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

dogboy443

Post by dogboy443 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:17 pm

I have these on my 2006. Everything was easy, including the wiring diagram, instructions and mounting. https://www.uralne.com/headlamp-auxilia ... light-kit/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark Masztal

2006 Ural Tourist, The Flying Pickle!

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:27 pm

I got this Cree LED lamp on the bumper bar, I think it's 9 Watts or something like that, can't remember exactly; it's 6 LED's in a row each with its own parabolic reflector. Altho the bikes headlamp is on I thought it would be good to show that there is something else beside the bike, i.e. a sidecar. I keep it aimed low so it doesn't dazzle even at night, but is still plenty visible at a distance.

-
Oxford Lock_2877.jpg
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:32 pm

Fitted it 3 years ago, still working.
-
Secret Project-017.jpg
-
-
Secret Project-020a.jpg
Mike H

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:37 pm

PS: the mounting is homemade, the 'U' brackets are car type exhaust clamps, thru a thick aluminium plate which the lamp mounts onto using the bracket that came with. Rubber pads (cut from a sheet of 3mm off eBay) under the 'U' clamps and lamp bracket prevent it moving, and it never has.
Mike H

rfortier

Post by rfortier » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:12 pm

Thanks for all the input.I see that I have options and some things to think about. do you folks have on/off switch for auxiliary lights or always on?
Current Rides:

1980 BMW R65
2019 Ural cT
Seacoast NH

Flieger

Post by Flieger » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:11 pm

Just to add to the possibilities for added visibility lighting. I found a company out of the U.K. called bikevis, website: bikevis.com that had led lights at a good price. I have another bike with 2” driving lights but they are a bit much for a tw200 So I bought a set. Haven’t got around to installing yet. But that is another option. They ship pretty quick too.
2012 Ural Gear Up
2011 Yamaha TW200
Whidbey Island, WA

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:26 pm

rfortier wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:12 pm
Thanks for all the input.I see that I have options and some things to think about. do you folks have on/off switch for auxiliary lights or always on?
That's a good question, and for the time being I have a rocker switch so I can turn the headlight on and off independently, and the Cree is also powered thru that. That means it's also on at night but I haven't been stopped by a policeman yet, altho I rarely ride in the dark actually.
Mike H

Burt1713
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Burt1713 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:00 pm

I did the spotlight to headlight conversion on my 2017 cT. I used the factory switch that is in the sidecar fuse box to interrupt the ground and allow me to turn off the secondary headlight.
2017 cT "Woody Moose"
2002 Ural solo bobber/chopper (work in progress) “Symphony of Destruction”
1997 Sportster "Scarlet Speedster"
1984 Honda Interceptor "Cornfield Express" (Gone)

GHGoodwin

Post by GHGoodwin » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:56 pm

Fog lights on car bumper on switch in sidecar. Driving lights on switch by BRS. Both with no power when engine not running.
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

dogboy443

Post by dogboy443 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:08 am

rfortier wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:12 pm
Mine has an on/off toggle switch on my dash.
Mark Masztal

2006 Ural Tourist, The Flying Pickle!