G2 Throttle Tamer

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
stagewex
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: G2 Throttle Tamer

Post by stagewex » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:01 pm

I didn't get to install the "Tamer" yesterday because there was more involved in my bar change, risers, bar clamps, sport-cones, etc.
And I wanted to get all the control gear and cables re-mounted before I forgot where everything goes.

But I did open and glue the throttle grip on this morning. It needs to cure about 6 hours so hope to get it on and adjusted tonite. Then I'll see if this really does anything or if it's snake-oil. At least for my purposes. A lot of companies are copying this design and a bunch of racers use them. We'll see.
IMG_1790.jpg
IMG_1796.jpg
IMG_1803.jpg
IMG_1804.jpg

The model I have has the "cam" determined to work best for a 450L, R & X. But they sell it with a number of different cams for you to determine what will work best for you. The Cam slips right off and can be swapped in and out easily.
IMG_1806.jpg

IMG_1809.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

Msblu79

Post by Msblu79 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:21 pm

Interesting, after many years of needing all the throttle one could use to get the rig going we are now looking for ways to "tame" the critter. It's a good problem to have. :lol:
2010 Black Patrol 92,000km's
Modtop airbox, 2013 branch pipes, Perch rings, Yamaha petcock, Drilled slides, Gossie needles, 145 mains, 45 pilots, insulated manifolds, Modtop pushrods, Dual FMF exhaust, PA Multi-spark system w/ VOES, Spin on filter conversion, 33mpg, Royal Purple fluids.

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:32 pm

Msblu79 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:21 pm
Interesting, after many years of needing all the throttle one could use to get the rig going we are now looking for ways to "tame" the critter. It's a good problem to have. :lol:
Exactly what I was thinking, it's a strange world we live in these days......
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:45 pm

I'd want to ride a 2019+ Ural before deciding if the pronoun we is appropriate to describe the need for a modified throttle cam.

I installed a G2 on my Versys 1000, but a short-geared 120 hp acting on 550 lbs. is different than the effect of 45 hp on 710 lbs. and the tall first gear that gets recurring mention on the forum.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:29 pm

Did you like it Lofty and did it really make a difference? I mean the quality is much nicer than the standard plastic tube but I didn't buy it for looks. Plastic works fine. I got called into work and had to postpone getting mine set-up.
Stagewex

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:23 pm

Lofty wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:45 pm
I'd want to ride a 2019+ Ural before deciding if the pronoun we is appropriate to describe the need for a modified throttle cam.

I installed a G2 on my Versys 1000, but a short-geared 120 hp acting on 550 lbs. is different than the effect of 45 hp on 710 lbs. and the tall first gear that gets recurring mention on the forum.
I think most folks should be able to adapt, and it is a minor issue, but for me a touch of arthritis makes that extra bit of fine control needed to be smooth somewhat challenging.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2018/20 M70

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:28 pm

stagewex wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:29 pm
Did you like it Lofty and did it really make a difference? I mean the quality is much nicer than the standard plastic tube but I didn't buy it for looks. Plastic works fine. I got called into work and had to postpone getting mine set-up.
Yes, and yes. Although pricey, the quality was nonpareil, as was the modularity with respect to the interchangeable cams. Using the stock cam that came with it, the G2 really did eliminate the uber-sensitive throttle response caused by the stock throttle tube (more accurately, the emissions-based tune that magnified the imperfect fueling response at varying throttle positions.) Your new 450L has the same issue, right? I've heard almost universal praise for that bike's capabilities.

windmill wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:23 pm
I think most folks should be able to adapt, and it is a minor issue, but for me a touch of arthritis makes that extra bit of fine control needed to be smooth somewhat challenging.
Understood. :cheers:
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

GHGoodwin

Post by GHGoodwin » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:45 pm

:lurker:
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:48 pm

Yes, it is absolutely the emissions based tune compliments of the EPA.

There'a always a way around it but $62.00 for a Tamer was cheaper than going full-bore for a Yoshi exhaust system ($700.00) and a Vortex ECU to replace the stock one (another $700.00). And a few dongles in between. But I don't need a dirt bike on knobbies to go 110, 90mph is fine and I wouldn't ride it that fast anyway.
It's the lowest speeds in 1st & 2nd that gets just too much power at the critical moments. So it's a fixer or Tamer or way to trick your throttle NOT to give you too much too soon.

In a way it reminds me of my carbie Patrol when I first bought it new. First thing was shimmying and adding a couple washers to the carbs and re-jetting. Later losing the Cats. Those poor Urals were so choked they had the glowing red pipe syndrome when new and set-up to EPA standard.
Guess what I noticed glowing in the garage when I was parking the other night. Deja Vu.
Stagewex

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:06 pm

My initial impression is I like it.

Its subtle, but meaningful differences. When starting from a stop it now feels like a firm push rather than a sudden kick. When backing, or doing tight maneuvers throttle control is much more precise, and unintentional throttle input is reduced. On a level surface, or up a hill its possible to modulate the throttle right down to the edge of stalling, and just creep along.

The one thing I was concerned about is how it would effect throttle input under normal conditions, or when getting ON the throttle, but I see it was unfounded. Its doesn't noticeably slow throttle response under normal riding conditions, or when accelerating with authority.
It might be helping me make smoother shifts, but the jury is still out on that, it might be that I'm paying more attention.

As I thought, I can see where it would be good for someone who rides a lot in congested city traffic, on snow or other slick conditions, or tight technical off road conditions.
Those who ride mostly in low traffic areas, or at higher highway speeds probably wouldn't benefit much from it.
Barry

2018/20 M70

RC20

Post by RC20 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:13 pm

While I desperately needed a throttle tension screw on the R80GS and was worried the Ural would be the same, I found it a non issue (and also have arthritis in both hands)

One day was right at 16 hours total time from load up at 6 am to arrival at home around 10 pm. Two meals, 3 fuel stops, 6 breaks of 10 minutes, rest in the saddle. I was quite delighted nor did I feel I needed a paddle assist.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:56 pm

RC20 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:13 pm
While I desperately needed a throttle tension screw on the R80GS and was worried the Ural would be the same, I found it a non issue (and also have arthritis in both hands)

One day was right at 16 hours total time from load up at 6 am to arrival at home around 10 pm. Two meals, 3 fuel stops, 6 breaks of 10 minutes, rest in the saddle. I was quite delighted nor did I feel I needed a paddle assist.
What you described is all the things it's NOT for. Its not a throttle tension device, or throttle rest for extended riding, or steady throttle positions. If someone desires those functions, they need to look elsewhere. Different tool, different use.

All a Throttle Tamer does is change the throttle cable movement from linear to progressive, which gives one more precise throttle control at 1/4 throttle or less at low speeds and RPMs. My goal is to make Seattle stop-and-go commuter traffic easier to deal with.

https://youtu.be/2riaHDHMX0Q
Barry

2018/20 M70

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:47 pm

A crutch for the unskilled, the infirm, those who don't know how to ride, the uncoordinated, wimps.....? Now that we have my shortcomings out of the way........

I'm ready to change my assessment of the Throttle Tamer.
Why aren't progressive throttles like the Throttle Tamer standard on all motorcycles? There's no down side to them, and they help make riding more enjoyable under many normal everyday conditions. I'm surprised they're such a well kept secret.

Besides the advantages described earlier, I have found it to be nice having such fine control in many others situations after riding some of my favorite back roads out in the country, through small towns, and running errands locally.

Many small towns in my area have 25 mph speed limits, and it makes it easier to navigate through them and their traffic, and maintain a steady low speed.

In shopping districts where traffic is slow, but moving, and erratic it allows one to brake and clutch less by just modulating the throttle. It also makes it easier to ride at walking speeds around pedestrians in parking lots

On twisty back roads and roundabouts in town, it makes using acceleration and engine braking as steering assist easier, and maintain a more consistent line through sweepers.

It helps smooth shifting in low acceleration situations.

I think from here on out, a Throttle Tamer will be an addition to any motorcycle I own.

It makes trailing or neutral throttle inputs going down hill much smoother.
Barry

2018/20 M70

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:27 pm

Got mine installed Barry and while we got it for kinda different reasons, yeah... it really does work. I agree with you.
My 450L is a performance off-roader and while I've spent a lot of time over the month dialing it in, the simplicity of adding the Tamer was one of the biggest changes so far. Adding a Power Commander, Vortex ECU and full flow exhaust may or will happen going forward, it's just very spendy$$$ and that's all racing stuff. I don't race. But just un-corking it and using the bike stock the twitchy and herky-jerky throttle at low speeds was a pain in the butt. On a 2-wheeler that amplified if you body moved to-&-fro while traveling a narrow trail or single track. Stop & Go traffic was manageable. But fooling the engine system with such a simple and inexpensive (compared to the other stuff) device has worked out well. I'm going to recommend this to a buddy that has a Yammy FZ1 that also has the same issue.

Since there are no aftermarket devices or ECU's available (yet) for adding multiple maps to the newest ('19 & '20) Ural EFI's I'd certainly recommend this $62.00 item to your rig. Also for those that might do the upgrade to the newer system too. Tame's that immediate power to be more linear.

Barry, if you found the right cam that you think will work best with a Ural let the G2 folks know. They will add it to their model drop-down menu so folks don't have to guess which cam to include with their purchase. Good helpful folks you can talk to on the phone.

Here's a video I made regarding installation and while it's not about a Ural it's pretty much a generic install for all bikes:

Stagewex

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:43 am

stagewex wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:27 pm
Barry, if you found the right cam that you think will work best with a Ural let the G2 folks know. They will add it to their model drop-down menu so folks don't have to guess which cam to include with their purchase. Good helpful folks you can talk to on the phone.
I'm using the cam that came with it. I sent them a bunch of pictures and measurements, and they determined what would work best. It does exactly what I was hoping for and more.
They were very good to work with.
Barry

2018/20 M70