Adventure tablet?

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
bratmanxj
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Adventure tablet?

Post by bratmanxj » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:13 pm

snowymonkey wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:07 am
look at the Microsoft Surface Pro.

I am a (reluctant) Apple guy....... but I used one of these for a while at work (at my Ambulance job, not the Fire Dept). It is the best thing I’ve seen that bridges the gap between a tablet and a computer. It can be used as both. The keyboard is magnetic and doubles as a protective case. They work well. You can get them in WiFi only or in full cellular form. They are a bit more pricey than the tablets you are looking at.... but this is a case of “you get what you pay for”. I’m not saying anything bad about the Samsung, or other tablets for that matter. It just that a normal tablet will never do everything you want (without some very tech savvy work arounds, anything is possible with enough nerd knowledge (I are a nerd)). I think you would end up being frustrated with a normal tablet. The Surface pro just plain works. When everything else was messed up tech wise at work, that thing never failed.
Agree with the Microsoft Surface Pro. I'm an engineer and use to a keyboard and mouse for almost ALL of my computer work and while I can fumble with mobile IOS & Android products and the Surface products are the only things that come close to replacing my work laptop. Our field crews use them all the time to send field data back to the office and the integration into the rest of our office "system" is seamless vs a mobile platform.
1999 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
2007 Ural Tourist - The Big Red Brick
Chinese Knock off Honda Trail 70 rescued from the in-laws shed
1984 Suzuki LT125 Quadrunner
Boats, Jets Skis and other fun stuff.

Wildhorse Cafe

Post by Wildhorse Cafe » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:07 pm

A tablet with a cellular data modem would be ideal with unlimited data. My old iPad is not being supported anymore which po'd me to no extent. I will be getting an android tablet to replace it. Come on Black Friday!
2011 Patrol Higgs Bison Super Collider formally known as the Orange and Silver Pumpkin Coach.

2013 Black Retro, my name is nobody.

When you set out on your journey to Ithaca
pray the road is long , full of adventure, full of knowledge
not expecting that Ithaca will offer you riches
Ithaca has given you the beautiful voyage

C.P. Cavafy

sixbennetts
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by sixbennetts » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:27 pm

Well, he got us this:

Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 32GB Android P Wifi Black - SM-T510NZKWXAR - $149

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-Galax ... /440177875

It's wifi only, but he taught me how to tether it via Bluetooth to our phones for use on cellular. (I guess tethering via bt uses far less power than using your phone as a wifi hotspot. Good to know).

This will be really handy when we're out in the boonies, providing we have cell service for the phones, of course. I'll still download nav maps and topos before we go, on wifi, but having 3 or 4G in the field without having to add another line to the cell bill is right up our alley.

We just realized also that we don't hardly ever even use the pc for much at all anymore besides printing out the occasional document. We do most everything on our phones.

We'll play with it for a while before buying a keyboard case & optical mouse, and when this old hp printer sharts the sheets, we'll consider a wifi printer.

Maybe we'll even get rid of the landline soon. Scammers are the only ones using it! :lol:
I have a funny wife. Hilarious, really.
I love her, she loves me.

"I'm slow and like to go old."
Plattsburgh NY

eastbloc

Post by eastbloc » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:56 pm

Well, that's certainly inexpensive, but at $249 the current-gen iPad 10.2" is a much better buy. It's faster, has a better screen, more memory, and the dock connector is compatible with keyboard covers and you can take notes and sketch on it using the excellent Apple Pencil.

Samsung only guarantees two years of software updates for their devices - talk about planned obsolescence! Apple support for the latest iOS still goes back as far as the iPad Air 2, which was released in 2014.

Android tablets are a fading market segment, Apple has pretty much demolished them in terms of functionality, security, longevity and overall value.
'14 Gear Up
'02 Patrol
'00 Bavarian Classic

eastbloc

Post by eastbloc » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:15 am

'14 Gear Up
'02 Patrol
'00 Bavarian Classic

Wildhorse Cafe

Post by Wildhorse Cafe » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:03 pm

My iPad with iOS 9.3.6 works fine but applications are dying one by one and new apps are hard to find. And the reputation Apple has for slowing things down when they want you to buy new doesn't help.
2011 Patrol Higgs Bison Super Collider formally known as the Orange and Silver Pumpkin Coach.

C.P. Cavafy

eastbloc

Post by eastbloc » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:16 pm

Wildhorse Cafe wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:03 pm
My iPad with iOS 9.3.6 works fine but applications are dying one by one and new apps are hard to find. And the reputation Apple has for slowing things down when they want you to buy new doesn't help.
How old is that iPad with iOS 9.3.6 though? It's gotta be at least seven years old! The NEWEST iPad that can't go past that version of iOS is the 3rd generation iPad released in 2012.

https://everyi.com/by-capability/maximu ... -ipad.html

Apple doesn't "slow things down" when they want you to buy new, apps just get more demanding as they are tailored for the majority of devices.

iPads generally are good for about 4-5 years. The picture is typically worse for Android tablets because they stop getting security and OS updates after less than two years on average. So you pay a little more for an iPad but you get far more use out of it, as evidenced by your seven year old model still working.

Though as a cyber security professional I have to say, you're really taking your chances running an obsolete operating system that doesn't have security patches. I hope you don't use that thing on the internet :)
'14 Gear Up
'02 Patrol
'00 Bavarian Classic

sixbennetts
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by sixbennetts » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:21 pm

Well, one son has an iPhone, and another an iPad, and I can't stand either one, (the apple crap, not the sons! :lol:)

Nope, I'm tickled that, A-It's android like all our phones, and B-it's only $150.

Now that I know I can tether via Bluetooth for 4G, it will be a perfect addition to camp life on the Ural, as well as the soon-to-arrive Goldwing.

Adding a $27 case with great reviews from Amazon.
SupCase Unicorn Beetle Pro Series Designed for Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2019 Release), Full-Body Rugged Heavy Duty Protective Case with Built-in Screen Protector for Galaxy Tab A 10.1 Inch 2019 (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T13FT6H/re ... 4Db29E36PK

I'll be adding a small cloth pocket to the left inside wall of the sidecar to slip it into for when she's not holding it in her hands. I figure I can run a charge cable up through the bottom of the pocket/pouch. Pull the cable out-plug the tablet in-slide it back down into the pocket-hold it firmly against the sidecar upholstery with her hip. Something similar to a cloth document pouch, maybe splash proof, with a snap down cover.

Something like this:

Universal iPad Waterproof Case, AICase Dry Bag Pouch for iPad Pro 10.5, New iPad 9.7 2017/2018, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Air/Air 2, Tablets up to 11.5 Inch (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07538HVRG/re ... 4DbM52MR86

We have a cheap little battery operated AM/FM/Weather radio we take with us for white noise at camp. I'd love to find a way to get that from this tablet, but I doubt it has the capability. I know I can stream from most local stations online, but the simplicity of the battery radio will be hard to beat.

I'm tickled it has GPS! I love my topos & satellite views when exploring the Adirondacks. Our *secret is finding old maps from ages ago and finding the old mills, logging camps, abandoned towns, etc. Then, using a good photo editor, overlaying it over current maps for finding & exploring those places.

There's so much real history waiting in the woods, just waiting to be re-found. This adventure tablet will help us do that.
PicsArt_11-30-03.16.44.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Plattsburgh NY

sixbennetts
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by sixbennetts » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:44 pm

Let the fun begin!
PicsArt_12-02-05.43.17.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Plattsburgh NY

Wildhorse Cafe

Post by Wildhorse Cafe » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:04 pm

Ordered my Samsung Galaxy 6S tab Cyber Monday. Santa has been berry berry good to me.

C.P. Cavafy