Enduro seat experience.

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
eastbloc
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Re: Enduro seat experience.

Post by eastbloc » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:15 pm

I was concerned about that when I saw how big the knobs were, but it's only a few millimeters lower than the center channel of the bracket, and there's many inches of clearance in there. I don't know how much exactly but enough that I'm intuitively comfortable with it.

I'll measure exactly when I put on the second one, I only got a few minutes off the leash today.
'14 Gear Up
'00 Bavarian Classic

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:31 pm

windmill wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:09 am
The "luxury swing seat" is the 2/3 bench on springs which would give one the best of both worlds if it's the correct seat for them.
IMG_2915.JPG
Obviously these things are very subjective, but I've got one of those, expensive mistake for me. The seat is very hard, and the springs are very hard. I could stand on it and the springs hardly move. I then spent a lot of time hunting for and trying out softer springs, Also it was too far forward but I found a way of moving it back. Unfortunately this means the rear edge can contact the rear fender and mark the paint, using more compressible springs.

Still hated it. The Seat part is still too hard, and is curved (convex in the center) giving me actual bruises on my buns. The softer springs meant it kind of wallowed about underneath me, and which actually restricted my ability to ride the rig. Average road speeds were actually lower, due to loss of control.

Finally admitted defeat and put the Enduro back on, and suddenly I'm dashing around everywhere as before, with a feeling of being in control again. Also I can stay sat on it for 4+ hours, which for me is hitherto an unheard of length of time to be in the saddle in one session, compared to other bikes / seats I've used.

YMMV
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

windmill

Post by windmill » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:46 pm

Mr Wazzock wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:31 pm
windmill wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:09 am
The "luxury swing seat" is the 2/3 bench on springs which would give one the best of both worlds if it's the correct seat for them.
IMG_2915.JPG
Obviously these things are very subjective, but I've got one of those, expensive mistake for me. The seat is very hard, and the springs are very hard. I could stand on it and the springs hardly move. I then spent a lot of time hunting for and trying out softer springs, Also it was too far forward but I found a way of moving it back. Unfortunately this means the rear edge can contact the rear fender and mark the paint, using more compressible springs.

Still hated it. The Seat part is still too hard, and is curved (convex in the center) giving me actual bruises on my buns. The softer springs meant it kind of wallowed about underneath me, and which actually restricted my ability to ride the rig. Average road speeds were actually lower, due to loss of control.

Finally admitted defeat and put the Enduro back on, and suddenly I'm dashing around everywhere as before, with a feeling of being in control again. Also I can stay sat on it for 4+ hours, which for me is hitherto an unheard of length of time to be in the saddle in one session, compared to other bikes / seats I've used.

YMMV
Yeah, it's virtually impossible to say what will work for another person, obviously my preferences are the opposite of yours. I hated the enduro seat, I was constantly sliding back past my comfort zone, having to hold myself forward, and that was literally a pain in the neck. I also didn't like the flat top with squared off edges.
I agree soft springs can feel odd, years ago I had an Indian with a pogostick seat that was sprung really soft even with the preload maxed, and it has 6" or 7" of travel. It was like being on a boat. I did like the big traditional tractor seat, but they don't work well for riding a rig briskly.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

mattzahr

Post by mattzahr » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:10 am

Having had both the bench and tractor set up on my '16 cT, my re observations (and feelings) are that the bench is far and above a much better choice for those taller/longer legged (Chad) types that require fore and aft movement for comfort. It also works well in semi off road applications. However, am more vertically challenged, so the tractor set up suits me well. To date, the longest I have ridden on one setting is approximately 8 hours, and I must say that the fatigue factor was not an issue over a 2 day 500 mile ride on paved road conditions.

Chad for your question re: above picture, I don't envision any clearance issues that your would encounter - if you managed to bottom out enough to hit the knurled knob, you would be hitting the wire loom - obviously I don't know what the clearance is on your bike, but it should not be an issue IMHO - that is provided you were to use one on your cT - not sure of other applications
'16 cT - Terracotta
Proud member of the "Group W Bench"

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:20 am

windmill wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:46 pm
I hated the enduro seat, I was constantly sliding back past my comfort zone, having to hold myself forward, and that was literally a pain in the neck.
That's very interesting, 'cause I've never had that. Either wearing just jeans or waterproof overtrousers. I'm "only" 5'10" yet I need to be back more than a tractor style seat will allow, so always end up sitting on the back edge.

I agree the appearance of the Enduro is a bit bland maybe.

I could have restored the orignial stiff springs of the Euro single seat, which would probably cure the bouncy-bouncy-wallowy effect, but unfortunately they made the seat at least an inch higher than the Enduro, which I also didn't like. Totally changed the feel and height of the 'bars for example.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

eastbloc

Post by eastbloc » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:14 am

I don't find myself sliding unintentionally on the Enduro seat, it has a nice grippy texture. Typically I wear cotton-polyster BDUs, or ballistic nylon if I'm going on highways. I reckon it might be a bit more slippery if I were to wear leather.

The edges of the seat are not a bother to me either. My butt pretty much fits on top of the seat, so I don't feel them at all until I start hanging it off for spirited cornering, at which point the handling advantages of not having a rubber-mounted seat squirming under you far outweigh any potential discomfort to the point where I can't say I've noticed any.

On my Gear-Up, I've also previously changed out the stock handlebars to Pro-Taper SE which provide more of a "lean-forward" motocross-style grip than the "roto-tiller" OEM bars:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/pro ... view_short

I wasn't sure how well this would work with the Enduro seat, but it seems to be just fine.
'14 Gear Up
'00 Bavarian Classic

eastbloc

Post by eastbloc » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:16 pm

mattzahr wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:10 am

Chad for your question re: above picture, I don't envision any clearance issues that your would encounter - if you managed to bottom out enough to hit the knurled knob, you would be hitting the wire loom - obviously I don't know what the clearance is on your bike, but it should not be an issue IMHO - that is provided you were to use one on your cT - not sure of other applications
That's right, the loom is in the way before the knob. I had anticipated the possible issue, so I also ordered these wingnuts in the middle as an alternative solution:
thumbscrews.jpg
But the wingnuts are much harder to operate than the knob.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'14 Gear Up
'00 Bavarian Classic

GHGoodwin

Post by GHGoodwin » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:50 pm

If you want a better fastener why not make one? Get a standard hex head bolt thats longer than the cap screw by the height of one nut. Thread on a nut, firm it up with the sides aligned, and red locktite it. Easy peasy extra tall head fastener.
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

eastbloc

Post by eastbloc » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:54 pm

Hal, I'm going for tool-less removal of the rear bolts here, not just taller heads.
'14 Gear Up
'00 Bavarian Classic

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:21 pm

eastbloc wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:16 pm
...the loom is in the way before the knob. I had anticipated the possible issue, so I also ordered these wingnuts in the middle as an alternative solution:

thumbscrews.jpg

But the wingnuts are much harder to operate than the knob.
Is that the $12.00 thumb screw in your photo? Let me know how it works out for you. I too am considering a tool-less solution here, at least for the rear bolts, and want some assurance of acceptable use before I decide to buy. Thanks.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00A9N2EK2/ ... _lig_dp_it
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650

eastbloc

Post by eastbloc » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:27 pm

Yup, that's the one. So far, it fits and is easier than using a ratchet, it's also stainless so it checks all my boxes.
'14 Gear Up
'00 Bavarian Classic

GHGoodwin

Post by GHGoodwin » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:16 am

East - I figured it would be just as easy to tighten with a hand held socket.
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:24 pm

Today I got a chance to take a 2017 Gear-Up, equipped with the Enduro seat, for a short spin.
I liked it. It's an idea worth exploring. I think I might have to buy one to test it out on a long ride.

EDIT - OH, WAIT! I remember why I haven't installed an Enduro seat sooner: I'd have to lose my Baraholka boxes. I'm gonna have to assess my priorities. 🤔
- Chad

Virginia Beach + Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "The Patrol", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", 1994 Honda VFR750F, 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazer

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
1986 Yamaha FZX700S (a different one than above)

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:27 am

Yup, that's the one. So far, it fits and is easier than using a ratchet, it's also stainless so it checks all my boxes.
One of the Amazon purchasers claims that the thumbscrew is not stainless steel, as advertised, since his is developing rust.
-
Screenshot_2019-01-13-06-23-36-1.png
-
Is there any way to tell before it rusts? I ask, because I found the same thumbscrew, but zinc-coated steel, for less than half price on ebay. If it's just gonna corrode anyway, I'll buy the cheapie.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Chad

Virginia Beach + Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "The Patrol", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", 1994 Honda VFR750F, 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazer

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
1986 Yamaha FZX700S (a different one than above)

eastbloc

Post by eastbloc » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:49 am

It claims 303 in the copy and is definitely some sort of stainless. I have a strong permanent magnet and it exhibits only the slightest bit of magnetism.

My guess is that the rust in the photo might have leaked down with water from whatever it's screwed into and collected in the knurls by way of surface tension before the water evaporated, leaving the rust mark.
'14 Gear Up
'00 Bavarian Classic