Off road tires

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
asitis

Off road tires

Post by asitis » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:47 pm

I ride my 2012 patrol mainly in town and not off road at all. Living in the south I ride in rain a lot an find that the stock off road tires do not hold the road very well when wet especially in the curves and stopping. Has anyone put street tires on their ural and will it handle better

Tin Man
Commissar
Commissar

Re: Off road tires

Post by Tin Man » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:17 pm

Please tell us which tires you are running now.
Mike
2007 GearUp (Arctic #1)
130/45 jets, KTM rock solid mirrors, Delaware Dave's outstanding trunk lock, Mr. Cob's most excellent skid plate, Cycra Probend smashproof hand guards, Duro strong like bull 307's, RotoPax damn near bulletproof fuel cans, MKIII all but water proof air box and Dimples super duper magnetic drain plugs all around...oh yeah, and a manual fuel petcock.

.........if you see something that needs doing, just do it........

windmill
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Post by windmill » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:23 pm

And condition of present tires.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

chaos2
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by chaos2 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:59 pm

If those are the 308's that came with the bike in 2012 they are well past their prime, regardless of tread wear. I have no problem with Duro 308's in the rain.
past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2 & a R65ls, and a Citroen.
Now a 2012 rusty GU and a 87 K75s with 200k miles both bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles
Modtop exhaust
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

rivers

Post by rivers » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:32 pm

Don't know what you have on your 012 but Urals do not come stock w off road tires. Yeah you can get optional medium lugged semi-knobbies. Stock tires are Duro 308's(street/pave tread) and yeah after a couple thou kms and with still lotsa tread they suck on pavement in the rain. And always sucked off pavement wet or dry. Heindenau makes a more expensive on/off pavement tire(K37?) that lots of folks like but I've never used them. I live in rain country and pretty happy with Duro 307's both on and off pavement. The lug spacing displaces water pretty well IMHO. Price and wear is pretty reasonable for sidecar rated tires. FWIW I also don't flog my Ural around corners on pavement. Heindenau also makes a street tread sidecar rated tire that works pretty good on wet/dry pavement but weak on dirt traction but sorta on parr with most street tread tires.
Try a forum search. Tires is a common thread with lotsa discussion. Otherwise the only pavement option I've never used are some form of Avon street tread sidecar tires($$$).
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Tin Man
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tin Man » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:23 pm

I have no issues with my Duro 307''s on or off road. I know better than to hang it into a curve on wet pavement but I will give em a workout on the dry. :foilhead:
Mike
2007 GearUp (Arctic #1)
130/45 jets, KTM rock solid mirrors, Delaware Dave's outstanding trunk lock, Mr. Cob's most excellent skid plate, Cycra Probend smashproof hand guards, Duro strong like bull 307's, RotoPax damn near bulletproof fuel cans, MKIII all but water proof air box and Dimples super duper magnetic drain plugs all around...oh yeah, and a manual fuel petcock.

.........if you see something that needs doing, just do it........