Retro Look Mods

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: Retro Look Mods

Post by gobium » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:47 pm

Same gear box as your ural but with VW air box housing
Resized_20170627_153516.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

windmill
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Post by windmill » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:10 pm

Or one could simply use a drop in filter in the OE air cleaner, https://www.ural-zentrale.de/en/motors/ ... 50-cc-ural
1650_1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

Aircondoc
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Aircondoc » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:16 pm

windmill wrote:
Aircondoc wrote:
windmill wrote:
Aircondoc wrote:
stagewex wrote:Wow, that's really interesting. Does it wok well with the side K&N's?
Better or Worse than stock?

Well the carbs it had were $#!+ tbh, previous owner had an obsession with originality and that meant unreliability. So I don’t know if it’s better than a stock carb set up, but it’s a f*ckin’ load better than what I bought. Mine still need balancing but are certainly giving me more reliable starting, the filters shouldn’t make too much difference I would think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Don't know about 650s, but most folks including myself have found separate pod filters to be a headache to tune, and significantly compromise low end and mid range on 750s.

If that turns out to be the case I’ll have to rethink, but that plastic tub of string will not be going back on the bike.

Just to clarify, it's when pods are attached to directly to the carb that seems to be the most problematic. If larger pods are mounted at the end of a branch pipe that provides post filter volume such as this setup, http://www.modtopperformance.com/Perfor ... sembly.htm they work fairly well. If the separate pods are replaced with a single filter attached to both cylinders, https://www.speedwaymotors.com/K-N-MG-0 ... 00907.html then one is getting close to ideal.
Another thing to consider, the UK having a similar climate to the Pacific Northwest, exposed air filters are quickly overwhelmed in wet conditions.

Here's a simple, effective, inexpensive DIY that works very well. http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/view ... tka+filter
Thanks for the info, I’m assuming that a plenum is needed to take out the pulsing or something?
I will see how things go with this setup and if I have problems I’ll maybe put some extended pipe on there to move the filters back under the seat.
Climate problems noted, but if it’s that wet I’ll be at home!

1999 Red Star 650 solo.
2004 Mercedes SL350.

Aircondoc
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Aircondoc » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:17 pm

windmill wrote:Or one could simply use a drop in filter in the OE air cleaner, https://www.ural-zentrale.de/en/motors/ ... 50-cc-ural
1650_1.JPG
Trouble with that is you still have the butt ugly air box, which is what I wanted to lose.

1999 Red Star 650 solo.
2004 Mercedes SL350.

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by gobium » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:06 pm

Pod filters have a clean look but
Not for every day weather riding.
You will never dial in your carbs correctly at all ranges with pod filters, your bike your taste. Look vs performance

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:56 pm

Have to agree - I have used the big oval K&N's on my Guzzis, much bigger surface area and were quite well shielded being up under the tank and seat and between the side panels. Seemed to work well, however they do deteriorate eventually so no, they don't actually last forever. The cotton gauze acquired gaping great holes after some years.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:00 pm

PS: a friend who's got a 2012 Dalesman has pod filters on, but he told me about when he was stranded at side of the road in France due to torrential rain. He wanted to get rid of the stock oval "biscuit tin" filter box because it was "fugly". Image
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta

rivers

Post by rivers » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:09 pm

windmill wrote: Don't know about 650s, but most folks including myself have found separate pod filters to be a headache to tune, and significantly compromise low end and mid range on 750s.
+3
Pods are fine for racing or running at WOT or just look cool. Not so nice to tune for low and mid range use working your way up through the gears. These clunky old tech dual carb motors like drawing air from a common plenum.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

4REICH

Post by 4REICH » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:11 pm

I had my 750 dyno tuned with k and n pod filters, very pleased with the performance. The bike was missing the stock airbox when I bought it so I dont miss what I've never experienced
13 Ural ST solo
94 solo

Aircondoc
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Aircondoc » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:29 pm

I was thinking of something like this to maybe move the filters under the seat, should it be needed.

1999 Red Star 650 solo.
2004 Mercedes SL350.

windmill

Post by windmill » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:44 pm

4REICH wrote:I had my 750 dyno tuned with k and n pod filters, very pleased with the performance. The bike was missing the stock airbox when I bought it so I dont miss what I've never experienced
It's a possibility that they might be more suitable, or less of a compromise for a solo as its less burdened by weight and barn door aerodynamics, but that's just speculation, and subjective as to how and where one rides.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

Aircondoc
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Aircondoc » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:47 am

ImageImage

1999 Red Star 650 solo.
2004 Mercedes SL350.

Red Dwarf
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Red Dwarf » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:49 pm

Mr Wazzock wrote:Have to agree - I have used the big oval K&N's on my Guzzis, much bigger surface area and were quite well shielded being up under the tank and seat and between the side panels. Seemed to work well, however they do deteriorate eventually so no, they don't actually last forever. The cotton gauze acquired gaping great holes after some years.
Here's my MG-size K&N with a cozy foam overcoat.
Don't use use the foam at present but it's ready for the inevitable shedding.
12.jpg
2012 Retro

fencermatt
Party Member
Party Member

Post by fencermatt » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:04 am

Whatever happened to that section set aside just for oil threads? Sometimes I feel like we need a section like that for air filter threads.

Back to the original topic (Retro looking mods), check out this old thread. It's got a nice article on a great looking Steampunk Ural:

http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/view ... hp?t=12407
Matt Pearsall

1989 Neval MT-16/BMW R80rt (Egor)
2003 Kawasaki KLR 650

Aircondoc
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Aircondoc » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:48 pm

Here’s the latest work. Copper plate changed for brass, and K&N style crankcase breather. I have also fitted new carb flanges as the old ones were split, a proper bottle screw on the front brake (from Germany- Ural zentral) New mirrors and handlebar clamps. Bike now starting second kick with new carbs etc. Still need to sort carb balancing but that will be soon.

ImageImage
ImageImage

1999 Red Star 650 solo.
2004 Mercedes SL350.