THEY...ARE...ALIVE!!!!!!!

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
chicagorandy
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

THEY...ARE...ALIVE!!!!!!!

Post by chicagorandy » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:08 am

My ankle still hurts a bit and I still limp a little, but it was almost 60F here in Chicago today so out into the garage I went for the very first time to attend to my poor old Honda.

1st task - install the replacement center stand and gear shift lever that were damaged beyond repair in the crash on Sept. 6th.....done

2nd - try to start the bike - NOPE - battery was D.O.A. so off to Autozone down the street I went and $50 later a new 14L-A2 was on my charger for 4 hours.

3rd - just got back in from the garage where 2 squirts of ether and crossed fingers later....I'll be dipped if the durn thing didn't start right up. Yes the gas in the tank is old (last filled up over 5 months ago) but it must still be flammable -lol

Still need to reinstall and bend back the left side engine guard and luggage guard and try to find the remnants of my left side highway bar foot pedal in the stack of crapola in the garage. Then the repairs to the fairing and it will be roadworthy once again I think.

Tovarishch? Only needed some choke, a little throttle tickling and by Ivan the summbyatch fired right up after laying dormant since late August.
It is half buried under a pile of boxes and misc. "stuff" but it warmed right up, steamed off all the condensation and idled just like I remembered. That hi-amp car battery that powers him kept Tovarishch 'spark-ready' all these Arctic months.

One of these years I should attach them trickle chargers to the bikes -lol

I love the smell of exhaust in the evening - it smells like VICTORY...and hope for better days to come.
ChicagoRandy

Former Ural driver of Tovarishch - 82,825 since new - sold 08/14/11

1986 Kawasaki Voyager XII - 1200cc's of two wheel bliss
"Down the highway of life at smiles per hour, with special attention to ignorant and blind cagers"

Tin Man
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tin Man » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:33 am

Way to go Randy, welcome back to the world of the living. 8)
Mike
2007 GearUp (Arctic #1)
130/45 jets, KTM rock solid mirrors, Delaware Dave's outstanding trunk lock, Mr. Cob's most excellent skid plate, Cycra Probend smashproof hand guards, Duro strong like bull 307's, RotoPax damn near bulletproof fuel cans, MKIII all but water proof air box and Dimples super duper magnetic drain plugs all around...oh yeah, and a manual fuel petcock.

.........if you see something that needs doing, just do it........

cubituscubitus
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by cubituscubitus » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:06 am

It's good to know that things are going much better for you ! :D
Thierry aka Terry

CURD Ambassador to Wallonia

'03 Ural Tourist (in a barn for several months)
1999 Mercedes C200 CDI Estate
-------------------------------------
Be happy on three wheels !

Putt-in
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Putt-in » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:12 am

That carbon-monoxide must have done you some good, Randy. You're much less grumpy. :lol:

Glad to see that you're mending well.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Best regards

Rod in Tucson

'03 Moto Guzzi Stone Touring - "Paola"

"How great life is if you just accept the small gifts and don't waste time on wishes."- Clinton "Bubba" Hare, Airheads Beemer Club
"OOP ... ACK ... THHHPT" - Bill the Cat

cmaridersa
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by cmaridersa » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:43 am

Putt-in wrote:That carbon-monoxide must have done you some good, Randy. You're much less grumpy. :lol:

Glad to see that you're mending well.
Nothing like the smell of motorcycle exhaust to set a man's heart and mind straight. :wub:
Earl
http://www.cmausa.org
2004 Ural Patrol - Molly Tov
2000 R1150GS/Ural sidecar
2008 Suzuki Bandit w/TX Ranger sidecar---for sale

DanKearney
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by DanKearney » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:33 am

Randy,

Good to hear your healing OK and starting to get the bikes sorted out.

Cheers,

Dan K.
Black Hawk, CO

Barbosa
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Barbosa » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:08 am

'bout frakkin time, Rangy. Now, let's get some photos of you at least taking it out of the garage!
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and skepticism to put all our trust in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.

Mud Pie
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Mud Pie » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:12 am

Barbosa wrote:'bout frakkin time, Rangy. Now, let's get some photos of you at least taking it out of the garage!
I think you forgot Randy lives in Chicago or parts thereof. To take it out of the garage would mean he has to first spend a few hours shoveling snow !! :lol:
2005 Ural Gear Up with DP-28 replica
Patriot Guard Rider

"I don't drive a Ural to make great time, I drive a Ural to have a great time."

"There is no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws." - Ayn Rand "Atlas Shrugged"

chicagorandy
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by chicagorandy » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:59 pm

LOL...winter ain't even over that's fer sure. It's more about spending all the time trying to get things sorted out in the garage now that I am able to get around crutch-free.

Since September 6th, things have kinda just piled atop each other out there where I was able to fling them with one hand. Lots of parts, all the contents of the Honda luggage and storage pockets are in boxes and bags, parts that I bought on e-bay etc.etc.etc.

If the weather cooperates I can spend time out there (unheated garage) and begin the process of sorting things out properly.

For now I think I shall just buy some fresh gas, add some Stabil to it
and run the engines once a week.
ChicagoRandy

Former Ural driver of Tovarishch - 82,825 since new - sold 08/14/11

1986 Kawasaki Voyager XII - 1200cc's of two wheel bliss
"Down the highway of life at smiles per hour, with special attention to ignorant and blind cagers"

Wallybob
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Wallybob » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:52 pm

Glad to see the healing process has included exhaust fumes.

'Bout time! 8)
2006 Ural Troyka "Akula"
2012 Ural M-70 Solo "Novoi Xhavotoye"
You get more with a kind word and a two by four than you do with just a kind word.

Yobe
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Yobe » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:22 pm

Bravo Randy! Now let's see some pics of you out on the rig. :moto:
Brandon aka Yobe
'06 Tourist