What are/is your Winter Project(s)?

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
stagewex
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

What are/is your Winter Project(s)?

Post by stagewex » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:29 pm

Related to your Ural or anything in the garage so pretty open.

I already flushed clean and clear a bunch of my bikes over the year. I actually have enough space to work in my detached garage as long as it doesn't dip into the lower 20's. My little heater can keep the temp up but the floor never gets warm so not fun futzing with cold feet. And nothing that dire or important either. I have 3 things on the Patrol I'd like to do and certainly none major or have to have done. Three items that to me make my rig a B+ (not an "A"):

1) Non-Working: Tach, been on my bike since new. Not the tach itself, that works great. But at night I noticed the tach lighting is not working. I don't see anyway to open it to check the lamp, I don't think it's LED? I'll have to take the tank off to see if all 3 wires are connected thinking that maybe one of them is specific to the lamp? Would be about $80.00 for a new tach but I probably won't bother getting another since the tach works fine.
Rating- EZPZ

Pretty common but not necessarily needed accessory:
IMG_5835.jpg

Anyone know if you can open one of these up? If not no bug deal:
IMG_6136.jpg

2) Cosmetic: change the current Dash cover to this one that I had powder coated black 10+ years ago. I forgot and found it recently. I was ready to do this in the Fall when I was going to change-out the OEM tach. But was able to fix that without removal so at the time not worth it. Still may not be worth it! But it looks nice so?
Rating EZPZ
IMG_6183.jpg

3) Cosmetic: headers (ModTops) are solid but too many years off-road had stripped the original coating and later high-heat paint that I did myself. I hesitated over the last few weeks because I'm riding the bike but figure if I go in this direction I'd get them and the rest of the exhaust done professionally this time. Of course that means the bike will be out-of-commission for a few weeks.
Rating Un-install-Install- EZPZ

IMG_6274.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stagewex

2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)

Mr Wazzock

Re: What are/is your Winter Project(s)?

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:18 pm

:thumbsup:

I recently acquired a AJS Cadwell, which I want to get ready for spring, or, end of lockdown, whichever is the case! It's maybe 3.5 yrs old yet was not registered until June last year, and still hardly been used. It's still as per dealer showroom shiny clean. But there's a list of thngs I want to do to it. Maybe halfway through. My shed also has a modest heater, however shed not big so some jobs are awkward.

Rating: varying levels of "involved" :D

Then there's the ongoing BSA Bantam "restoration" – rating: various
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

jaybird
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: The foothills of the Forked River Mountains, West Barnegat NJ (Do It In The Pines!) 08005

Post by jaybird » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:20 pm

I've replaced the lightbulb in the tachometer at least once on my GearUp, I don't recall it being a particularly difficult job.
Currently the tachometer backlight on both the Retro and GearUp are out, and have been for some time. I don't bother replacing the lightbulb anymore because I can't see the tachometer needle at night, even with the backlight working.
I do however find the tachometer to be an essential add on. I don't use it for shifting gears, I never do in a truck either, but it's more accurate than the speedometer for indicating and holding cruising speed and it's the original on board diagnostic tool. Because my GearUp has an old crankshaft and a lot of miles on it, my maximum cruising speed/RPM is 4,000, regardless of tire size or wear. My Retro on the other hand has a better crankshaft and a more healthy engine, I'll run that at 4,500 RPM, you get where you're going the quickest and the engine lasts longer that way.

As far as winter projects go, any spare time I have, and that's not much, I've been working on my bus/camper. This weekend I'm adding/adapting a 160 amp alternator to run accessories and charge batteries, I could probably rig up a welder off this thing :D

As far as motorcycle projects go, I broke third gear in the Retro so I need to pull the trans and repair that, it needs a new pusher tire while I have it apart, and I also plan to try a 3.89.1 final drive that I've had on the shelf for a number of years. That and an oil change is all that rig needs.
If I find the time, or the situation forces it, I'll probably try to heal the smoking from the left cylinder on my GearUp, we'll see.

Happy trails,
Jaybird.
2005 Gear-Up, Mr. Nat_ural 108,000+ Kilometers and counting
2013 Retro, Black beauty, AKA Lucky "13"
1995 Olive Tourist
1975 Enfield Diesel Bullet
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

Oko
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Oko » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:25 am

Almost done with Ural. My next target is to make the brake lights negative ground so my brake flashers work.

In spring, try to solve windshield and wind buffeting issues.
2009 Ural Patrol - "The Moscow Mule"
2016 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 Ski Doo Renegade
1999 Honda Shadow Aero
64-year old human body

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:35 am

Just take the windshield off, that'll solve any and all buffeting. It's for wusses anyway, haha :)

Jay, I'm going to take the tach off today but didn't realize that the two little nuts on the back held the innards or body together.
I feel like I did this before once but... maybe not?
I've never named my rig but considering "Prevagen" going forward.
Stagewex

cheeseheadmike
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by cheeseheadmike » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:34 pm

Nothing with the Ural, other than basic maintenance. I am working on putting this diesel engine,

into this.

It's something to do. Retirement is less than ten months away. Just finished wiring the lights in.
My garage has radiant floor heat that I keep at 60F, so it's comfortable in the snowy times.
If I don't feel like being out in the garage, I have a full basement split between my wife and I. She has the finished side with an air hockey table, tv, video games, and furniture. I have the unfinished side which has the utilities, the wood shop/electronics bench, and my slot car track.
cheeseheadmike

1973 Velosolex 3800-slow, 1977 Velosolex 4600-really slow
1979 Honda CX500-not slow at all
Various bicycles from 1947 to 2018-slow to fast, depending on my mood
2007 Ural Gear Up

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:19 pm

Took a look at the back of the Tach and realized I didn't have to take it apart, just twist the little plastic black holder on the back of the pod. Why didn't I realize this once before when I looked at it. Probably because I'm an idiot.

Anyway, that took all of 5 minutes and yes indeed the tiny lamp is blown. I have not figured out how to get it out of it's little plastic holder yet but I'm pretty sure they have new lamps like this at my local TrueValue hardware store.

12V/1.2watt. After I get the new one I'll look to see if there is an LED alternative too. Obviously an easy swap.

I had thought previously that I had to take those two mounting nuts off to open the tach. Similar to change or upgrade the stock speedometer on the 2013 and older bikes. Instead just twist and pull slightly and bob's-your-uncle:
IMG_6788.jpg
IMG_6793.jpg

I have not been able to get the tiny lamp out of its holder yet. I thought it would just pull out but I think something is holding it in other than perhaps corrosion. Jay?
IMG_6792.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by stagewex on Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stagewex

RC20

Post by RC20 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:42 pm

A lot of small ones. I am still working on my shop re-organization as well as the re-loading bench operation which is now the big one in the shop.

Radar Chronograph Base to Suit how I shoot off a bench and can access the controls as well as adjust it with cap screw feet to it is pointed at the target (important on picking up the projectile and getting its velocity )
P1100116.JPG
P1070166.JPG
PC130060.JPG
I quit work (not retired!) 1.5 years ago, a lot of accumulated mess that was let slide due to the depression of what the work place had become. Toxic is the best word with lots of back stabbing, they are welcome to the cess pit.

No Ural work, no garage so its outside. That means spring.

The Big Tool bench was a key to the shop organization and its been wonderful to get the tools in one location.

I now share work space with my wife, she had to give up her fabric studio due to members dropping gout and the economy. Good news was I got my turf staked out (try to compete with a former Ranchers daughter on shouldering gout the competition!)
Last edited by RC20 on Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

siberman1

Post by siberman1 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:32 pm

Non Ural Projects

Welding Projects:
3@used horseshoe + 3@1/2" bolts to make trivet for 12"/18,7lb Dutch Oven, @ sets of bolts for different heights, 2.5" and 4.5" Done.

used horseshoe, cut foundation bolt, 1pc decorative iron railing to make 2-foot long Dutch Oven Lid Lifter. A little fancy, but nice. Done.

1"x3" and 1"x2" aluminum box pieces. Welded to make roof rack for truck-topper. 2 sections, front and back. The split to 2 pieces avoids the complicated slight upward curve of the top of the topper. Whole gizmo (technical term) is for 10' Lifetime fishing kayak to long to fit inside bed.
About 90% done, looking for EVA foam for surface of rack. Pending.

Making a small 50cal pellet stove for cargo-trailer that I converted to camping trailer. I want "Dry Heat", not electric, not propane, no generator.
Idea take from Slim Potatohead videos, just a great project. about 10% done.

Entire solar system install in camping trailer. Have 70Ah, 100Ah, and 120Ah batteries, most of wiring done. Need warm weather outside to put 200 watt solar panels on roof of trailer, finish connection to solar controller, etc. Made all of the heavy cables, installing DV Volt/Amp/Charge meters to monitor what everything is doing/not-doing. The idea is to be totally Off-Grid, have power for 12v stuff (Alpicool fridge, LED lights, Maxxfan in roof, etc.), already have 600w Pure Sine Inverter for laptop and other 120v stuff (small TV, etc), and No Generator or Noise. about 75% done.

Maybe clean the house one of these days... maybe not. The 5 meter tall Xmas tree needs to come down.

YMMV
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:55 pm

There aren't any.

I want everything ready to go in/during the Winter, and I've been pretty good about it. The Suzuki is put to bed, but can be easily brought online if the rare 60/70 degree day makes an appearance (as it did a couple years ago.) The Ural is always maintained in Ready Reserve condition for instant deployment as the mood strikes.

The mowers and snow blower are put to bed, or called up for duty, in April and November, by necessity. Done.

Last October, I had a big work session on the Ural, wrt fluid changes and accessory installation. This past Spring, I did the same on the Suzuki. Easy to schedule & accomplish during the seasonal rainfall. Neither bike is so needy that project planning is ever necessary. Tires get replaced as needed, but always in advance of the Cold Times if I can see that the observed treadwear calls for it.

At this time of year, if I have to do anything more than turn a key, I ask myself what I missed or did wrong to make that so. If a surprise repair comes up, it's tackled in short order. I can't recall the last time that occurred. Yes, if a cylinder misfire, etc. made an appearance, I might have to change my tune here.

I know a fair number of guys look forward to hibernating in the garage as they spin a wrench. I'm too active to give up a full season, or even part of it, to attend to long-deferred maintenance & repair tasks (as many of them freely admit is what they're doing.)

The road is always calling. :wink:
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

cptnapalm
Party Member
Party Member

Post by cptnapalm » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:17 pm

Having to wait for a new fuel tank, so I've taken it upon myself to partially take the Ural apart so I can have a better grasp of how to fix things. It's been slow going as I don't particularly know what I'm doing and have been stymied by stuck bolts. Most Ural owners have a long mechanic history; I don't, nor do I have anyone nearby to help me. It's been slow going, but I'll get there.
2011 Ural Patrol

There is no problem so difficult that it cannot be solved by generous application of brute force and ignorance. -VWNate1

CamaroEric
Party Member
Party Member

Post by CamaroEric » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:32 pm

cheeseheadmike wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:34 pm
I am working on putting this diesel engine, into this.
Mike, that has been a dream project since I was in college 10 years ago. If you have a build thread or some youtube vids, I'd like to watch the progress. If you were closer I'd offer to swing by on the weekends!
2008 Gear-Up
2012 NC700X
1962 F-100 Flareside 292 4-spd

cheeseheadmike
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by cheeseheadmike » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:52 pm

CamaroEric wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:32 pm
cheeseheadmike wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:34 pm
I am working on putting this diesel engine, into this.
Mike, that has been a dream project since I was in college 10 years ago. If you have a build thread or some youtube vids, I'd like to watch the progress. If you were closer I'd offer to swing by on the weekends!
No build thread on SS but I have one on dieselbike.net (The Jatalian) and advrider.com (The world has gone nuts and so have I). The project has slowed a bit because I am waiting on new frame tubes, but doing what I can to work around that.

I expect it to be as slow or slower than the Ural.
cheeseheadmike

1973 Velosolex 3800-slow, 1977 Velosolex 4600-really slow
1979 Honda CX500-not slow at all
Various bicycles from 1947 to 2018-slow to fast, depending on my mood
2007 Ural Gear Up

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:39 pm

cptnapalm wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:17 pm
Most Ural owners have a long mechanic history; I don't, nor do I have anyone nearby to help me.

Haha. Not true, a lot of us are or were clueless prior and depend on learning not just from the experts but from the mistakes & experience of others.
For me everything I forgot from my High School Auto Shop classes plus years long battles with British cars & motorcycles came back to me like a haunting vengeance. In the end Ural ownership has been pretty simple and easy going over the years. A simple machine.
You will do fine as long as you keep a smile going and look towards the riding to come.
Stagewex

siberman1

Post by siberman1 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:03 pm

stagewex wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:39 pm
cptnapalm wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:17 pm
Most Ural owners have a long mechanic history; I don't, nor do I have anyone nearby to help me.

Haha. ...SNIP...High School Auto Shop classes plus years long battles with British cars & motorcycles came back to me like a haunting vengeance. In the end Ural ownership has been pretty simple and easy going over the years. ...SNIP
Same here.
30 years of aircooled Volkswagen Porsche experience. No big deal for Urals.

IMO, what a silly URAL clutch arrangement! Geeze, Ural, go steal some one else's better arrangement and make it fit! I don't know if Gobium ever got a VW/BMW type clutch (1600 cc VW, 200mm) clutch to work in a Ural. Whatever.

I just learned to weld and think like a machinist to help work on things. Piece of cake, or zakuski, if you know what I mean.

YMMV
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments