Half drunk & wandering

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
jvan1954
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: Half drunk & wandering

Post by jvan1954 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:19 pm

Several of the bolts holding my drive sprocket "wallered" out on the road. JBed them in to get me home and ended up forgetting about them for over a year, found them again when I was upgrading to belt drive.
Jerry Van

there is no problem so complex, nor situation so dire, that its solution can not be found in the skillful application of high explosives.
Ride a 2013 tourist that I call "the ural"

Robert Whitten
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Robert Whitten » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:49 pm

It's always amazing what you can do when you need to. Jerry Van, your Dad sounds like mine was. He wasn't going to spend a dime that wasn't necessary. As a kid when another adult would tell him to get this or that fixed he would say, I'll let that boy fix it. Most times I didn't have a clue as to what they were talking about.
04 Troika,
10 BMW's
3 Harleys
1 Honda
1 Kawasaki
1 Suzuki

Robert Whitten
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Robert Whitten » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:58 pm

Lofty, I busted a sprocket on the hay bailed in the field once on my bailer. Guy I was bailing for said, what you do now. Found a beer can in the ditch & repaired it enough to finish his hay.
04 Troika,
10 BMW's
3 Harleys
1 Honda
1 Kawasaki
1 Suzuki

Tin Man
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tin Man » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:14 pm

Cereal boxes, single ply cardboard, flattened beer can metal (regular tin cans had ridges), inner tubes and leather all saw use for my family. My Mother told a story from when I was a baby. Because it was all we could afford, my Father drove a old car that was very small....she thought it may have been a Nash Metropolitan. It's engine was in dire need of rebuild, but they could not afford to do it. Each night, when he got home from work, Dad would take a quilt off the bed and lay it along side the car. He would then physically tip the car onto its side, remove the oil pan, remove the crankshaft and replace the bearings with new ones made from leather. After reassembling the engine he could drive the car to work the next day and return home, to repeat the same thing each day. She says he did this for about two weeks, till he made enough money to buy all of the required parts to do an actual repair. To this day I find it hard to throw stuff away......... :foilhead:
Mike
2007 GearUp (Arctic #1)
130/45 jets, KTM rock solid mirrors, Delaware Dave's outstanding trunk lock, Mr. Cob's most excellent skid plate, Cycra Probend smashproof hand guards, Duro strong like bull 307's, RotoPax damn near bulletproof fuel cans, MKIII all but water proof air box and Dimples super duper magnetic drain plugs all around...oh yeah, and a manual fuel petcock.

.........if you see something that needs doing, just do it........

Yakatak
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Yakatak » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:20 pm

Cereal box cut to shape with a ball peen hammer. My dad would treat them with, what he called, "hard oil". Hard oil was white, translucent, with a waxy feel. I've been trying to find some for years. If anyone knows what this stuff is...let me know.
2014 Ural Gear Up - Asphalt

Snakeoil
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Snakeoil » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:24 pm

Yakatak wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:20 pm
Cereal box cut to shape with a ball peen hammer. My dad would treat them with, what he called, "hard oil". Hard oil was white, translucent, with a waxy feel. I've been trying to find some for years. If anyone knows what this stuff is...let me know.
Maybe lard oil?
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
Certified Blatherer
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

Robert Whitten
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Robert Whitten » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:35 pm

Yakatak, Haven't a clue on that one. Haven't heard that term from the ( really, really old farts. I'm like Rob. The only thing I can think of would be lard.
04 Troika,
10 BMW's
3 Harleys
1 Honda
1 Kawasaki
1 Suzuki

windmill

Post by windmill » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:39 pm

A "hard oil" I'm aware of is an old farmers home made mix of 1/3 bees or canning w@x, 1/3 boiled linseed oil, 1/3 turpentine. Kind of a do it all, a rubbing finish for wood tool handles, waterproofing leather, corrosion protection, bullet lube, even treat wounds on livestock.

Use it myself for all sorts of things.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

TomsFunMachine
Party Member
Party Member

Post by TomsFunMachine » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:34 am

I once cut a tire on my road bike (bicycle), and used the 'dollar bill trick' to get home. A former road racer friend told me about this trick while we were bench racing one day, after a training ride, I stored it away in my head.

When you cut a road bike tire, the tube bulges through the slit, like a hernia, and pops. If you were a serious cyclist in the early 1980's, you always carried a patch kit, usually a spare tube, frame mounted Silca brand pump, your ID, a little cash, but no one carried a spare clincher tire. A cut tire 40 miles from home and it's "dude, you're screwed".

I took a dollar bill from money clip, inserted it between the tire and the replacement tube, the paper money covering the 1-1/2" long cut. Pumped it up to 110psi and peddled home. It turns out paper money is made from some tough fabric-like stuff.
2002 Ural Tourist w/7.4 gal Dnepr tank
1965 BMW R69S Willis (long-term project bike)
'73 Honda CB175
2000 KLR 650
2018 Ninja 400 (Wife's rocket)

jvan1954

Post by jvan1954 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:30 am

This has turned into a pretty cool thread for me at least. Brings back a lot of memories of my Dad who could do just about anything with just about nothing. Or as he put it, "poor boys got poor ways"
After a wreck one time he did an alignment on our truck by measuring the distance between the front, then the back of the front tires where the tread and sidewall met. Adjust the toe in, roll it back and forth, remeasure, repeat. I don't know if it ate tires or not, I imagine it did, but I do know we were hauling hay the next day.
Jerry Van

there is no problem so complex, nor situation so dire, that its solution can not be found in the skillful application of high explosives.

jvan1954

Post by jvan1954 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:36 am

windmill wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:39 pm
A "hard oil" I'm aware of is an old farmers home made mix of 1/3 bees or canning w@x, 1/3 boiled linseed oil, 1/3 turpentine. Kind of a do it all, a rubbing finish for wood tool handles, waterproofing leather, corrosion protection, bullet lube, even treat wounds on livestock.

Use it myself for all sorts of things.
Had some of that stuff stashed everywhere, on machinery, vehicles, tack room. It even helps keep your hands from cracking when its really cold. Have to put in on before the cracks start though or it burns like the dickens.
Jerry Van

bratmanxj

Post by bratmanxj » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:34 pm

jvan1954 wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:30 am
This has turned into a pretty cool thread for me at least. Brings back a lot of memories of my Dad who could do just about anything with just about nothing. Or as he put it, "poor boys got poor ways"
After a wreck one time he did an alignment on our truck by measuring the distance between the front, then the back of the front tires where the tread and sidewall met. Adjust the toe in, roll it back and forth, remeasure, repeat. I don't know if it ate tires or not, I imagine it did, but I do know we were hauling hay the next day.
That's how I do alignments on my "small equipment" like garden tractors, golf carts, and ATVs. I'll let the more precise computers take care of my on-road vehicles, but you can get them pretty darn close after a suspension repair with just a tape measure.
1999 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
2007 Ural Tourist - The Big Red Brick
Chinese Knock off Honda Trail 70 rescued from the in-laws shed
1984 Suzuki LT125 Quadrunner - Sold off to a Friend
Boats, Jets Skis and Golf Carts...other fun stuff!

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:02 pm

I've never made a gasket out of a cereal or pizza box but last Summer I went to buy plain old gasket material at our local Autozone. Kid at the counter asked me what year & model my car was.

Me: "That doesn't matter, I just need gasket material, I'll cut my own gasket".

He seemed puzzled but put the words into his inventory computer.

Him: "Hey, I can't believe we actually have that. You're the first person that I ever sold any of it to".

Me: "It's pretty common, how long have you worked here?"

Him: "5 years".

Lord Help Us.
Stagewex

2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)

cookiemech
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by cookiemech » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:55 pm

I'm so lucky that six miles away is an old mom-and-pop (no, really, a married couple well in their 70s own it) NAPA store, and when I asked for some gasket paper, Larry Jr. (the son, in his 40s, who is always at the counter) asked me what thickness I needed. No big deal there!
1982 BMW R100T
1994 BMW K75RT
1995 BMW K75/3
2009 Kawasaki KLR 650
2017 Harley-Davidson Road King
2017 Harley-Davidson Road Glide Ultra
2017 Honda CB1100EX
2020 Ural Gear Up

Peter Pan

Post by Peter Pan » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:04 pm

I have amazed myself with how long some of those quick-fixes have lasted.
My father in law's "mientras tanto" = "meanwhile"... meanwhile he installed once a bakery in the chicken stable that lasted about 8-10 years. :D
Made a respirator out of a condom once. Hate Covid 19.
The Condom is in fact a very durable material. I used to fit them onto the compensors/shock absorbers of glass drilling machines with very good long lasting results.... (The water glass dust mix is extremely abrasive) Condom life expectance 2 month and the one of the shock absorbers raised from 3 month to 2 years.
Sophie Travelair = Patrol 2013
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon-Alaska-Oregon
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain = :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates) 3. at 42.386km
transmission: 1. 40.000km. 2. installed
Engine: 1. 43.388km crank replacement: Back on the road since 23.Okt.2019 :party:

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!