Van Got "Karen'ed"

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
DRC458
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: Van Got "Karen'ed"

Post by DRC458 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:32 am

You have done an excellent ... make that, unbelievable! ... job training your dogs, Van! I love watching you work them. As for the busy body who reported you, well, just blow her off and go on with life. Good job!
Don

2006 Ural Tourist

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by tx2sturgis » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:51 pm

FOIA the cops body cams.
Rural Ural in Tulia Texas!

Current Ural: 2013 Ural Solo sT

Previous Ural: 2013 Ural Patrol

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:13 pm

Sorry for being thick, can someone explain what "Karened" is please, I might have known once but if I had I've forgotten :oops:
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

MartyL
Benevolent Emperor
Benevolent Emperor

Post by MartyL » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:37 pm

I would think it’s a busybody.
2010 Gear Up
1976 Yamaha XS650C
2018 H-D FLHXS
Peace.... God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom. God Bless America!
As I get older, I see the wisdom in Hannibal Lecter......
Ladies,Do your part! Prevent MSB often! Save mankind!!!

bratmanxj

Post by bratmanxj » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:56 pm

Mr Wazzock wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:13 pm
Sorry for being thick, can someone explain what "Karened" is please, I might have known once but if I had I've forgotten :oops:
Its a joke going round the States giving the name "Karen" to any middle-age white woman of a specific look/attitude who asks to speak to the manager any time she can't get her way.

It started in retail sales: "That Karen just tried to return a half eaten watermelon, when I told her we can't accept returns on open food she asked to speak to the manager even though my name tag say Manager!"
1999 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
2007 Ural Tourist - The Big Red Brick
Chinese Knock off Honda Trail 70 rescued from the in-laws shed
1984 Suzuki LT125 Quadrunner - Sold off to a Friend
Boats, Jets Skis and Golf Carts...other fun stuff!

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:44 pm

Thank you! Just wondering why that name, is what I originally meant to ask :thumbsup:

Trying to think what the UK equivalent is. EDIT: probably is 'busybody'
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

rougaroo

Post by rougaroo » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:48 pm

"Busybody" is kind of an innocuous term to me, like the old lady neighbor who peeks out her window spying on people up and down her street. The Karens have been in pretty well-reported kerfuffles over here, some having racial overtones, all asserting some sort of privilege.

Perhaps the most reported one was "Central Park Karen" in NYC She was walking her dog in Central Park with the dog off its leash. A black man who was watching birds very politely asked her to please put her dog on a leash. She freaked out, called the police, said a black man was threatening her life, and to come quickly. Unfortunately for her, as the incident escalated the man recorded the event on his cell phone. She's since lost her job and faces other repercussions for false charges: https://newsone.com/3950438/list-of-rep ... ling-cops/.

The man, incidentally, thinks she's been treated too harshly.

Rougaroo
2003 Tourist - lotsa upgrades
2004 Troyka - work in progress

Claus

Post by Claus » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:00 am

Mr Wazzock wrote:
I had to google this , too. We have got plenty of these women in our country but there´s no such term for them yet.
owned bikes: 93 Ural rig domestic model, BMW R100GS, Suzuki GSX1100G rig, BMW R100R rig with Ural sidecar, Ural rig with BMW drivetrain under construction,

GoatTracks
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by GoatTracks » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:06 am

Claus wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:00 am
Mr Wazzock wrote:
I had to google this , too. We have got plenty of these women in our country but there´s no such term for them yet.
You could call them "Karen" too *grin*

I only recently learned of this moniker for middle aged impossible women. Not sure it's fair to all the other Karen's in the world but it does do a good job of summing up "whiny, self-entitled entirely unreasonable middle aged white women" without taking too much effort to type.

Van:
Great job with your dogs. I've trained many animals over the years and the amount of discipline your dogs show is quite remarkable. Never thought to try to get a dog to heel blindfolded! I trained my last Great Dane to be a certified therapy dog, we'd visit senior centers together and entertain the old folks. Never had an incident, he was super gentle with them, and I taught him a command "smooshy-face!" where he would approach the bed or wheelchair and place his head in their lap for pets. Danes are great for therapy work as people don't need to bend over, or sit up in bed to pet them.
"Dog is my Co-Pilot"

Central Iowa, USA
'07 "FrankenUral" Gear Up
'99 HD Bad Boy Custom
'84 Yamaha 175 Enduro
Mattel "Big Wheel"

Peter Pan

Post by Peter Pan » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:04 am

Claus,
in stead we used to have "Kaiserlich, königliches Hofgericht" und "Ohnsorgtheater", where those kind of behaviour schemes were exposed well for everybody get to notice it fast enough. In Latinamerica we had "Tres Patines" in "La tremenda Corte"*, with lessons that possibly will not come over to nowadays generations, because now even a slight comment or gesture becomes misinterpreted as "politically incorrect", "offensive", "discriminating", "prejudice", ... put as many "unwords" you want.

I insist in one lesson I learned in life. Kids need to grow up with animals (and best in rural surroundings), otherwise they do not learn well enough "social competence".

Best regards to Martina.
Sven

* Myself, I didn't know the despective "Karen" neither, but equivalent would be perhaps "Nananina" (and Heidi Kabel ?)
Sophie Travelair = Patrol 2013
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon-Alaska-Oregon
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain = :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates) 3. at 42.386km
transmission: 1. 40.000km. 2. installed
Engine: 1. 43.388km crank replacement: Back on the road since 23.Okt.2019 :party:

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!

Wildhorse Cafe

Post by Wildhorse Cafe » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:37 pm

Mr Wazzock wrote:
Prime example:
[https://www.google.com/search?q=Amy+Coo ... e&ie=UTF-8]
2011 Patrol, The Higgs Bison Super Collider, formally known as, the Orange and Silver Pumpkin Coach.

2013 Black Retro, Chernaya Krasota, formally known as, my name is nobody.

When you set out on your journey to Ithaca
pray the road is long , full of adventure, full of knowledge
not expecting that Ithaca will offer you riches
Ithaca has given you the beautiful voyage

C.P. Cavafy

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by tx2sturgis » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:01 pm

rougaroo wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:48 pm

Perhaps the most reported one was "Central Park Karen" in NYC She was walking her dog in Central Park with the dog off its leash. A black man who was watching birds very politely asked her to please put her dog on a leash. She freaked out, called the police, said a black man was threatening her life, and to come quickly. Unfortunately for her, as the incident escalated the man recorded the event on his cell phone. She's since lost her job and faces other repercussions for false charges: https://newsone.com/3950438/list-of-rep ... ling-cops/.

The man, incidentally, thinks she's been treated too harshly.

Rougaroo
This black man, Christian Cooper, admitted threatening her and trying to lure her dog away with dog treats he carries for that reason, before the recording started. THAT'S why he thinks she is being harshly treated. He feels partly responsible for basically, ruining her life.

Yes, she did react strongly, but she DID feel threatened.

Possibly he has done this before? He's not quite as innocent as he appears in the video.

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:22 pm

Mr Wazzock wrote:
No apology necessary.

"Karen" is just the most current insult to make the rounds on the social bandwagon. Its shelf life is indeterminate. Last year, "snowflake" might have been used. The word is deployed as a libel against a white woman with whom the commenter disagrees on least one particular point. As the preceding post by tx2sturgis makes plain, where the missing parts of a recent media narrative are disclosed, the epithet is easily to use irresponsibly.

No less an authority than George Orwell has documented the danger of perverting language.
https://www.ocregister.com/2015/05/16/r ... al-effect/

The word busybody remains a perfectly serviceable way to comment on all such matters. It certainly doesn't have the distinctly racial identity that "Karen" purposely does. If raycism is so bad, then it must be bad in all of its forms, yes?

That this thread has gone on for four pages, thus far, suggests otherwise.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by tx2sturgis » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:39 pm

I agree with the above text, but the link is non-functional for me (ad blocker blocker) so I am not agreeing or disagreeing with it.

But if the man in the Central Park video had been white and the woman had been an older black lady, would the media refer to her as a 'mammy'?

I think not.

And I'm not dismissing the original event in this thread. It was unfortunate.

Desantnik-VDV
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Desantnik-VDV » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:53 pm

Claus wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:00 am
Mr Wazzock wrote:
Claus, how about Gertrude? :D She is in my mind ... a little softer, middle age, overweight, country lady.

But I like all three of them as well - "Kaiserlich, königliches Hofgericht".

And then "Reichskammergericht". :lol:
Alex
2007 GearUp - BMD (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMD-3)
38 idle/130 main/ 2 shims
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The rest is just history... 4 previous Urals, BMW airheads, bigger Hondas, bigger sidecars...