Anyone have trouble getting your title after payoff?

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
BlueRockCrawler
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Anyone have trouble getting your title after payoff?

Post by BlueRockCrawler » Tue May 26, 2020 2:36 pm

I financed my bike through Freedom Road financial who, for some reason a year or two ago, sold the note to Sheffield Financial. Maybe some of you could explain why they did that, my guess is that since I was always on time and usually more than what I owed, they weren't making any money off of late fees. The problem is that Freedom road, who I signed a contract with, has a 10 day wait period to get your title after payoff. Sheffield, who I signed no contract with, is telling me I have to wait 30 days, and, that they won't even release the lien until after that 30 days despite the loan being paid off with a certified electronic transfer. Oh, and because of the current pandemic, that could be up to 45 days before they release the lien. Needles to say, I'm pretty w@$#ing irritated as I feel that they're making money off of my asset being in their portfolio while I'm not able to use that asset for my own financial interests. LOL, even trying to get rid of this bike has its own irritating quirks. :feelsgood: :brickwall: Has anyone else had any dealings like this? All of my paid off vehicles have had some sort of waiting period for the title, usually under 2 weeks and I understand the logistics of a large company mailing out a paper title. This seems like some sort of shady practice. Anyone else have any problems getting their property after it was paid off?
2020 KTM Duke 790
2018 Suzuki DR 650
previous bikes were
1993 Suzuki DR 650
2015 Ural Patrol
1996 750 Magna
2002 750 shadow A.C.E.
2004 919
1985 500 Magna

glacoste

Re: Anyone have trouble getting your title after payoff?

Post by glacoste » Tue May 26, 2020 2:45 pm

Submit a complaint to the BBB. Look up the location of the business, you'll need that for filing a complaint. You can do it all on line.
2013 Gear-up
Mains: 130, Idle: 42, Needle: 0 shims
stock exhaust no cats
23927 km and counting

BlueRockCrawler

Post by BlueRockCrawler » Tue May 26, 2020 3:28 pm

I'm not sure how this helps me anymore than posting my rant on here but OK, it's done. If I thought it would help, I'd get actual legal council and sue them. But, that would likely take a)money b) more than 45 days and c) I'd have to show actual monetary damages.
2020 KTM Duke 790
2018 Suzuki DR 650
previous bikes were
1993 Suzuki DR 650
2015 Ural Patrol
1996 750 Magna
2002 750 shadow A.C.E.
2004 919
1985 500 Magna

tgtrotter
Commissar
Commissar

Post by tgtrotter » Tue May 26, 2020 4:54 pm

That $#!+ just pisses me off too !

I had a vehicle loan that was sold and I made every payment on time. When I paid all the payments the lender (2nd) said there was a fee ( $36.00 ) to obtain title. WTF BS I told them. I waited a few days while it went to upper management who came back and said when the loan was sold to them the original lender had delayed some transfer of funds or docs and that the $36.00 was interest "I" owed. NO, all my interest was in my payments. I explained it sounded like their problem. After more hassle I finally got my title but I think I did have to pay something or they tried guilt tripping me as I was getting a favor being let off.

NOW HERE'S THE IMPORTANT PART. In CA if you have a lien on your vehicle, the lienholders name is typed on your State registration card carried in your vehicle. . When you pay off your loan the lien is not automatically dropped from your Reg. It is up to you, the owner to file the pay off and to remove the lienholder from your Reg card with the CA DMV. If you don't an unscrupulous lender/lienholder can or may cause you future troubles. Now don't think, hey I've bought a vehicle with a lienholder typed on the Reg card and took that and the Title and had it transferred successfully. Yes you did and that is when the lienholder was "officially " removed.

Sorry about the long reply. I never listened to my Mother when something like this happened to her. She resided in Nevada, bought a trailer ( 20' farm type ) in Texas. Later Texas said there was a lien although my Mom had a title signed by the lienholder from the seller. They claim the seller/owner didn't do their part of removing the lienholder or it was fraudulent. Doesn't make sense.

Lastly. depending on time and energy , call them everyday for your title. Hopefully in their organization someone somewhere somehow will fast track the release.

Good luck. No problem about the venting.
That $#!+ pi$$ed me off too.
2007 Woodland Green Patrol :foilhead:
Powertrain OEM
2004 FLTRI :machinegun:
1992 Trek 830 :P

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Tue May 26, 2020 9:33 pm

After the lease ran out on my Wrangler I was ready to get another but then saw the buy-out (I put too much down) being so low I almost had to buy it myself. Buy-out was $14K and KBB was $21K.

Jeep/Chrysler finances thru Ally Bank. It took about a month + to get the actual title. Since I was keeping the car it was no big deal but you'd think after you send them a bank check for the full amount and they cashed it, it should be quicker than that.
Last edited by stagewex on Wed May 27, 2020 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only) *NOT running amok, out for Bottom & Top-End Rebuild.
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

List what you "have", keep the others in your precious memory bank.

Kilometers2
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Kilometers2 » Tue May 26, 2020 10:38 pm

Family Security Credit Union in Alabama told me they only had 2 employees that process titles for the northern half of Alabama and that it would take 30 days to get the title. They were right, 3 times.
Miles aka Kilometers

Uralless for 3 years and regretting it the last 2 years I have owned a Doberman. Thinking of coming back rather than hacking the Harley...there is just something about Urals, this forum, and the 2WD I used infrequently while camping.....

Formerly owned 2007 GU, 2014 Patrol, and 2016 GU

Peter Pan

Post by Peter Pan » Wed May 27, 2020 10:06 am

In Costa Rica I once was forced to pay the daughter of the sales company owner (their lawyer) for her to unregister the credit note at the national vehicle register and fill in my name as 100%owner....
That was about 2 years after pay off. I noticed it until the moment I wanted to sell the scooter and the buyers notary said "no go". Took the sales company's lawyer/daughter over a month and about 2 more monthly quotes in form of lawyer fees... Luckily the buyer didn't jump off the handshake deal.

Never again returned to that "honorable" company.
Sophie Travelair = Patrol 2013
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon-Alaska-Oregon
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain = :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates) 3. at 42.386km
transmission: 1. 40.000km. 2. installed
Engine: 1. 43.388km crank replacement: Back on the road since 23.Okt.2019 :party:

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Fri May 29, 2020 6:20 pm

On the day that my truck note was paid off, my credit union released the lien electronically. That is to say, their system sent a message saying "He's good now!" to PENNDOT, who holds the vehicle title in trust, so to speak.

~2 weeks after the date of the payoff, the title arrived in the mail. As expected. No muss, no fuss.

I don't finance motorcycles, and am therefore at the mercy of how quickly the selling dealership does, or does not, submit their paperwork package to PENNDOT for processing. If I can authenticate that the forms were submitted within a day or two of me riding away on my new bike, the aforementioned 2 week wait time for the hard copy title also applies.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Sat May 30, 2020 10:11 am

I've heard of similar tales of woe involving mortgages as well. One individual had his mortgage sold so many times that the payments never caught up with the final lender of record and was told he still owed thousands on his home when it was actually paid off. Fortunately, I learned about this practice early in life and chose my lenders carefully after that. Credit Unions as a general rule never sell mortgages or loans because they are a membership organization, not a business. I have not had a load on anything in years. But if I were to get one, it would be from a credit union.

In NY, you get a title in your name even if you have a loan on the vehicle. The title shows a lien holder on the title. So, you still need to get a lien release to clear the title. In NY the lender must file the release with DMV which helps the owner. The state carries a little more clout than Joe Average Citizen.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".