R18 pre order list

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
windmill
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: R18 pre order list

Post by windmill » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:59 pm

stagewex wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:03 am
I'm not sure that's what this new Beemer is trying to do since they don't have anything similar before.
With a few minor changes it could be very close to their prewar bikes. I'm not into the cruiser chopper bobber thing, but with some real fenders, a decent sprung seat and fender rack, it would be very interesting to me.

Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by chaos2 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:20 pm

windmill wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:59 pm

With a few minor changes it could be very close to their prewar bikes.
Except for that displacement. About a liter too much, those jugs just look out of place. The price you pay going after the bigger is better Trident 3 crowd. :lol:
Past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, & a Citroen.
Now a DB Haanjo and Canyon CF SL Endurace, '87 K75s,
and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

Jdsova

Post by Jdsova » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:44 pm

I got in on a second round pick YEA :boogie: I have $500 down (refundable)...but, now they starting to increase price on me.... :shock:

In an earlier post from BMW they said it would be a selling the 1st edition for $19,870 as shown... base model was priced at $17,495

In a newer post I got, the price is now changed?

Here's the latest info I've received....Have an email in for a question on the new price...

You may cancel your order at any time and receive a refund via the button below.
MSRP excludes Destination & Handling fee of $695, tax title license and registration.
Your initial deposity amount is towards the purchase of a new, previously unregistered BMW Motorcycle model 2021 BMW R 18 with an MSRP of $21570. Pricing may vary based on equipment level and dealer sets the final price. The dealer will contact you with further information and to arrange full payment or financing and delivery of the motorcycle. See your authorized BMW Motorrad dealer for details.

:x :x

That kind of money I'm thinking I'd might be better off with a 2021 Ural.... :lurker:
J Sova
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading~" Thomas Jefferson
[*]2014 BMW K1600GTL-E-[*] 2014 2WD Ural Red/October GU-[*]
Past mistresses 2 Urals + 9 previous 2w bikes Marion, Iowa

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:35 pm

I reckon I'll just have to stick with the same scooter I've had since 1973.

Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

Jdsova

Post by Jdsova » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:48 am

An email I received from my dealer..

Jim,

I took a look at the website and I see that they have 2 different prices listed for the 1st Edition bike. I’ve put an email in to my sales rep to find out what that is all about.

I’ll get back to you as soon as I hear from him.

Thanks.

Scott

:lurker:
J Sova
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading~" Thomas Jefferson

BigJames
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by BigJames » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:48 am

I preordered a Beemer once. Think I've had 7, notice anything missing from my sig?
Is one nice looking Ural Retro though. They sell it with a sidecar I might get BMW 8. Would make my wife happy if I bought something besides a Ural.
Notice that Ilya? BMW sees a market for it. Naw, they know nothing of the market. No budget for that type of research at all I guess...sigh...
BigJames
19 Ural Gear Up
11 Ural Retro (108K and counting)
95/79 Bural Sportsman (Myrtle)
88 HD FLHS Watsonian Cambridge (232K and counting)
51 HD Servicar

Jdsova

Post by Jdsova » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:54 pm

Jim,

The final verdict

copy of emails.... Oh yeah the price evan went up some more... :-x

I took a look at the website and I see that they have 2 different prices listed for the First Edition bike – albeit on 2 different pages. I put an email in to my sales rep this morning to find out what that is all about. Here is what I found out.

The stock showroom bike when it is available (after First Edition bikes are produced )will have a base price of $17,495.

The bike that is being built as part of the pre-order First Edition promotion has a price of $21,570. This bike includes the following upgrades to the base bike.

Select Package – Chrome lockable fuel filler cap, heated grips, anti-theft alarm.

Premium Package – Hill start assist, headlight pro (adaptive headlight functionality), reverse assist.

First Edition Package - Design option chrome (chromed front engine cover, valve covers, intake duct covers, clutch and master cylinders, foot levers, mirrors and brake calipers), white pinstriping on tank and rear fender, R18 first edition badges on side covers, BMW seat badge and customer welcome box (book, belt with buckle, vintage BMW roundels)

Passenger Kit – Passenger seat and foot pegs

When they first posted the First Edition online that bike did not include the Premium Package or the Passenger Kit. This was the bike listed for $19,870 on the website. My understanding is that all First Edition bikes that are being produced for distribution through the pre-sale process will be the higher spec bike.

I’m sorry for the confusion. My sales rep noticed this the other week and reported it to corporate but with BMW’s “non-essential” staff in the US and Europe furloughed right now no one is available to correct the website.

So, unless is BMW makes any other changes First Edition bike – which I’ve been told is not going to be the case, the cost of the bike will be $21,570 without freight, setup, tax, title and registration. With those extra costs included and subtracting out your $500 deposit, the cost to you out the door when you pick the bike up will be $23,325.25.

I hope this helps clear things up.

----------------------------------------------------------------
My reply:

Ok, I'm now understanding the price of-

Base price $17,495.
the "1st edition" Pricing of $19,870.

I don't need the

Premium Package – Hill start assist, headlight pro (adaptive headlight functionality), reverse assist.

On it.

All I need is
"1st edition" $19,870.

Plus the below cost ?
Heated grips
Passenger Kit --Passenger seat and foot pegs
Passenger back rest.
freight, setup, tax, title and registration.
What would be those prices on that out the door.?

Jim
----------------------------------
their reply

The only bike being manufactured for the pre-order production run is the one listing for $21,570 with the select, premium and first edition packages plus the passenger kit with passenger seat and foot pegs. If you want a bike without the premium package we will have to wait for the first normal production run, which I suspect will be some time next year, and put an order in then. As far as the passenger back rest goes, I suspect we will be able to order one once the First Edition bikes start production but at this point I do not know what the cost will be as the retail accessory catalog for this model hasn’t been released to the dealers yet.

How you would like to proceed. Do you want to take the First Edition bike that you are on the list for or do you want to wait and order the standard bike with just the specific accessories that you want?

---------------------------------------------
My reply:
Since the deal is changing, I think I'm going to have to decline this offer. Please remove me from the list.
I'd like to exercise this option Below.
You may cancel your order at any time and receive a refund
Thankyou.
J Sova

Jdsova

Post by Jdsova » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:59 pm

BigJames wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:48 am
I preordered a Beemer once. Think I've had 7, notice anything missing from my sig?
Is one nice looking Ural Retro though. They sell it with a sidecar I might get BMW 8. Would make my wife happy if I bought something besides a Ural.
Notice that Ilya? BMW sees a market for it. Naw, they know nothing of the market. No budget for that type of research at all I guess...sigh...
I might be doing the same with BMW, and my signature soon.. :(
J Sova

BigJames
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by BigJames » Thu May 14, 2020 11:40 am

Jdsova wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:59 pm
BigJames wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:48 am
I might be doing the same with BMW, and my signature soon.. :(
Took me a while, but after a bad R1100RT and the K12LT's insane maintenance costs, I had had enough...Ural makes it easy to accept issues as most happen within the warranty and after that they just seem to just miraculously keep running (reference, my Retro) with just the occasional infusion of cash...Beemers, on the other hand, never seem to get enough "attention" and are like a fancy girl friend, nice but really expensive to keep happy, the newer ones anyway...should not have sold that R90/6....
BigJames
19 Ural Gear Up
11 Ural Retro (108K and counting)
95/79 Bural Sportsman (Myrtle)
88 HD FLHS Watsonian Cambridge (232K and counting)
51 HD Servicar