C-19 and the Ural Community (Corrected Title)

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
GHGoodwin
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: C-19 and the Ural Community (Corrected Title)

Post by GHGoodwin » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:41 am

WEGUNTER wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:53 am
Missed all of the madness.
I think you just slipped in between chapters in this saga. This reminds me of the 1955 polio outbreak (Yeah, I'm that old). Most public places closed. A lot of small businesses closed. Orders were to stay at home unless necessary. Kids were supposed to stay in their yards and play alone.
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by chaos2 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:00 am

This may accelerate the work/school at home trend, in the same way WW1 accelerated the evolution of the airplane. With kids in college and grade school right now the work at home protocol with both schools is woefully inadequate, understandable being sprung on them so fast.
Past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, & a Citroen.
Now a DB Haanjo and Canyon CF SL Endurace, '87 K75s,
and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

VWNate1
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

The virus: flatten the curve.

Post by VWNate1 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:47 am

-Nate
'94 Tourist 650
'96 650 Solo
'10 Solo sT Crashed & Ruined 6.26.17 :cry:

Claus

Post by Claus » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:07 pm

Well, I have a guess why there´s no toilet paper all around the globe: One person is sneezing and 500.000 $#!+ in the pants.

We have no power shortage at all here in Germany. YET. As of today 8 am in most areas shops are closed, as long as they are not supermarkets, pharmcies, hardware stores or gas stations. Craftsmen are allowed to go to work. Schools, kindergardens, universities are closed. Most restaurants as well.
There is a lot of scaremongering here through the media. But we have quite a few infected people, too. Not funny. Wife and I care about her parents and the mean time stay in our work shop. We´ve got plenty of work to do and this situation seems to give me some more time to get the work ready before my customers want to ride their motorcycles.

Good health to all of you and your beloved!

Claus
owned bikes: 93 Ural rig domestic model, 95 Suzuki DR 650 RSE, BMW R100GS, Suzuki GSX1100G rig, BMW R100R rig with Ural sidecar, Ural rig with BMW drivetrain under construction,

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:17 pm

This reminds me of the 1955 polio outbreak (Yeah, I'm that old). Most public places closed. A lot of small businesses closed. Orders were to stay at home unless necessary. Kids were supposed to stay in their yards and play alone.
I missed that 'concern' by a year or so, I was 4. I had two childhood friends that were afflicted, one still with us.
This may accelerate the work/school at home trend,
To say nothing of the use of bidets in the United States... also difficult to find in stock.
Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

dale914
Comrade
Comrade

Post by dale914 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:43 pm

Regarding the fear of air travel, and the recycled/airplane air: I spend about....28 hours in an airplane a week and will happily indulge everyone with why I think airplane air is safe for you.
As a jet engine is flying up in the nice clean air, it has a series of fans, today we'll say 12 stages of fans. Somewhere (depending on the engine) along the series of fans, maybe the 6th or 10th after the air has been squeezed and squeezed and almost ready to blow up in the jet's combustion stage, there will intentionally be a hole where the air can leak out of the engine and be forced into the cabin. Through a series of air driven turbos and intercoolers (again, manufacturers may vary operation) the air is heated or cooled, and pumped into the cabin. SO, the aircraft is continuously being pumped full of clean air from 6-8 miles up, that also goes through a HEPA filter, and then blown into the floor and through the gasper vents. The plane then controls air leaking out (it will leak as any pressured vessile will, but depending on the size of the plane, there may be a pizza sized hole venting metered air out and back into the atmosphere). In one hand, yes, you will be very close to other breathing humans, but you are continuously having fresh filtered air forced onto and around you that is quickly being thrown overboard. Also, after every flight, the seats are getting completely decontaminated, and sterilized, and at the end of every shift, the whole cabin is getting fogged out. Plus, the food serving apparatus are all single serving, and the flight attendants generally wear gloves. If it were a serious threat to be traveling on an aircraft, we would see the entire industry of flight crews getting infected, but I've only heard of one pilot so far, and he could have gotten it from anywhere on his free time. Keep in mind, that flight crew are in a plane 2-8 legs a day, and they're staying healthy. Which leads me to believe that an aircraft is a pretty safe place to be.
But, as always, you know what I don't know? Lotsa things.
19 Ural Gear Up
05 Triumph Rocket 3
04 Honda CBR F4i
04 Honda Shadow
00 Yamaha VMAX

Lofty

Re: The virus: flatten the curve.

Post by Lofty » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:45 pm

Speakers on, enjoy
A clumsy Australian attempt at political humor, with the U.S. in its crosshairs.

Fail.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

RC20

Post by RC20 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:02 pm

Regarding the fear of air travel, and the recycled/airplane air: I spend about....28 hours in an airplane a week and will happily indulge everyone with why I think airplane air is safe for you.
I have a relative who works for Boeing, he cold not tell me what kind of filters the standard birds have (787 is a new one and ???)

But the majority of the air is recirculated . Only some makeup air is added. And that does not address the area around you (how many seats in the 6 feet zone) let alone the surfaces.

So far I have seen no direct data on how people contacted C-19, an airplane is one of the last places I would want to be (and soon probably will be grounded) - so unless you have a HEPPA attached to your face and have gloves??????????????

Polio: Yea I was too young but I still remember seeing the news reels (yes in those days) on the horrors of it. Counted myself lucky for the vaccinations.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

GHGoodwin

Post by GHGoodwin » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:07 am

THNX Nate. Not hilarious but pretty fracken funny. I also think Dumbarse has been heavily distributed in copious quantities.

Holed up in NE Ohio. Glad I'm a reader.
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

Macabry
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Macabry » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:56 am

I've got no TV and typically only read and listen to the newspaper alongside the internet, with my work we are directly involved with confirmed and suspected Covid cases and in general I take the precautions necessary .... full resp. Suits which are bloody uncomfortable. However, public ignorance is definately being fueled by our health service. There is a ridicilous over dependence on "masks" both staff and the public seem to think that a mask will protect you... :D
I mean, what type, what fitting ...nah, it's a mask so it'll do :lol:

I went into the tool store for some sandpaper yesterday and the guy serving me was asked by a rather anxious looking woman if they sold masks .... she then bought a load.
He says he can't keep them on the shelves .... and the best part .... all of them next to useless because without the right filtration COMBINED with a correct suit COMBINED with a handled procedure and COMBINED with decontaminantion strategy it's all a waste of time :clap:

As an example, if we have a confirmed case then the logistics surrounding suiting and then then subsequent cleaning takes about 2 hours :o

Sooooo.....
Pop a "mask" on .... you'll be fine :wink:
"There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games"

History:
Honda C70, Honda C90, Mobylette (various), Suzuki GP125, Suzuki DR100, Suzuki DR400, Suzuki GN400, Dnepr K750 rig, BSA M20 (1940),

Current:
IMZ M61 - exact year unknown (Reg'd as 1961)
Suzuki DR400 (Basket case)

JohnBG
General Secretary
General Secretary

Post by JohnBG » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:06 pm

Stay safe out there...
John Grocke aka "JohnBG"
Site Administrator - sovietsteeds.com

Current Rides:
'06 Ural Raven - "Vorona"
'09 Kawasaki KLR650 - "Madea"

History:
'98.5 Ural Tourist - "Valentina" - Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Harley Road King FLHPI
1997 Harley Electra Glide FLHTPI
Honda Nighthawk 650 from the mid-80's
1980 Suzuki RM125T
1970 Honda CL100

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

tgtrotter
Commissar
Commissar

Post by tgtrotter » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:29 pm

Altgough dated 5 days ago this is the most comprehensive synopsis I've read to date.

We don't want to overburden and cause a traffic jam in our healthcare facilities. Like Claus wrote about Germany, the U.S needs to realize the seriousness of isolating.

The public hysteria is a whole nother story.

God Bless. Be safe.

https://mcusercontent.com/062e90686556b ... 3_2020.pdf
2007 Woodland Green Patrol :foilhead:
2004 FLTRI :machinegun:
1992 Trek 830 :P

lendrinkard

Post by lendrinkard » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:22 pm

If you can, it might be a good idea to keep a little extra cash at home. The nation is already a trillion dollars in debt and the WH wants to spend another trillion. We are in trouble. The Fed is out of tools to aid the economy. I don't think this will turn out well.
2012 Gear up - 130/40 jet, 3 shims, no mid-pipe, drilled slider, 2013 Branch pipes, all LED lights
2013 NOS Ural T - 130/42 jet, 2 shims, LED running lights, oil cooler

BlueRockCrawler

Post by BlueRockCrawler » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:27 am

https://youtu.be/E3URhJx0NSw
https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/03 ... ronavirus/
Given that the hot desert country of Iran is getting hammered, I would not hold out hope for higher temps clearing up this problem, that first link does a good job of explaining that. I work in an Emergency department in the Philly metro area. Not bad here yet, but you can definitely feel the stress. Warsh (local dialect :D ) your hands, keep your social distance and stay safe. As of my last shift on tuesday, we were only testing people who had symptoms AND recent travel, or had been exposed to someone who tested positive for COVid-19 so we have no idea how many people are walking around symptom free spreading it around. I expect the numbers and the freak out to get worse once we start testing more people.
2020 KTM Duke 790
2018 Suzuki DR 650
previous bikes were
1993 Suzuki DR 650
2015 Ural Patrol
1996 750 Magna
2002 750 shadow A.C.E.
2004 919
1985 500 Magna

rougaroo

Post by rougaroo » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:09 am

Gets right to the point:

Rougaroo
2003 Tourist - lotsa upgrades
2004 Troyka - work in progress