Almost Got Hit with Girlfriend in the Sidecar

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
septantrionalis
Comrade
Comrade

Almost Got Hit with Girlfriend in the Sidecar

Post by septantrionalis » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:22 pm

Man, I had to share this story. So my girlfriend is pretty leery about motorcycles. In fact, she wont get on the back of one at all. One of the reasons I got the Ural was because she felt better riding in the sidecar than on the back.

Anyway, we went out riding yesterday. As I came home, I was coming up to an intersection in which the light was red. As I slowed down, the light turned green, so I sped up attempting to cross the intersection. There was another car attempting to turn left in front of me coming the other direction. Dude didn't even look. He started to turn and I seriously thought I was going to get hit. I swerved to the right really hard and he slammed his brakes once he noticed me. My girlfriend almost flew out of the sidecar, I swerved so hard.

I've been riding for 30+ years and this is the closest I've ever had to an accident with someone riding on the bike with me. After this incident, she said she wouldn't get on the bike again. :( Dunno if I should try to convince her again, but I'll give it some time.
Bikes I currently own:
2003 Yamaha FZ1
2016 Yamaha R6
2018 Ural Gear Up

RC20
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: Almost Got Hit with Girlfriend in the Sidecar

Post by RC20 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:57 pm

Good news is you avoided it and both ok.

I think you are on the right approach to just leave it be for . I was surprised my wife likes the side car (we have to find out if she can do any distance)

But I have mixed feelings on having her along for the same close call you had. We can mitigate a lot of risk but we can't eliminate it and a car hit while you are on a cycle is as bad as it gets (most of the time she drives the VW that has lots of airbags)

Whatever the long term decision, if you feel its ok to try again, don't back her into a corner, make sure she knows no means no , or she wants to think about it, decision is respected and agreed and no pressure.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:54 pm

They're out there. Be very afraid.

One thing about riding in the chair, everything else looks big and fast moving. So I'm not surprised really.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:35 am

2 wheels or 3 wheels, there's no "safer" between the two of them.
Sure you have heard that you have to ride as if everyone out there on the road is out to murder/kill you. You are invisible.
You just have to expect the worst as payment for enjoying the freedom of being outside instead of inside some steel cage.
God willing we will all live to enjoy for as long as we can ride.

A couple weeks ago I was riding at night right by my house. Straight road, not going fast and very little local traffic.
Out of nowhere a car came out in front of me pretty darn close. I really didn't think much of it as I'm so used to getting cut-off or worse as I executed an evasive maneuver, pretty much second nature. I rarely get agitated about it nowadays, just count my blessings.

Later on I realized my helmet camera was running, watched that close-call at home. Here's 17 seconds of how fast you life can change, a real WTF moment:

Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only) *NOT running amok, out for Bottom & Top-End Rebuild.
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

List what you "have", keep the others in your precious memory bank.

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:34 am

stagewex wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:35 am
A couple weeks ago I was riding at night right by my house. Straight road, not going fast and very little local traffic.
Out of nowhere a car came out in front of me pretty darn close.

The back end of the offending driver's vehicle looks like it's sliding sideways as you swerve by it. Likely the effect of the camera angle. Was the driver passing another vehicle legally, and failed to notice (or yield) to you?
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:18 am

The car was coming from a side street on my right. That's not slow-motion or camera angle or sliding. They just decided to pull out in front of me for whatever reason? Believe me the headlight on my new bike is blinding. Maybe drunk or high or really old (like me, Ha). I had no desire to find out. And it wasn't scary at all like the original poster here until I saw the video clip later. Part of life I guess?

It's always "when you least expect it" so ride happy & ride safe" is my usual motto/advice.
Last edited by stagewex on Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stagewex

1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only) *NOT running amok, out for Bottom & Top-End Rebuild.

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:42 pm

Just FYI your viddy is set as "made for kids" (ergo can't comment or add to a playlist or Watch Later)
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

RC20

Post by RC20 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:12 pm

Had a guy pull out from my left yesterday, slow speed Big Box Store lot good thing , he never even looked. Not sure if he would have seen a 18 wheeler.

Headlight on bright, bright Orange Ural, Bright Red Helmet, nope, you just avoid, annoyed as I had him trapped in traffic and did not go back and lecture.

ps: I always run with headlight on bright, it may be what saves you.
Fear No Gravel
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

Desantnik-VDV
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Desantnik-VDV » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:03 pm

You just got very lucky. I am glad your quick reaction and good maneuvering saved you.
Alex
2007 GearUp - BMD (Боевая Машина Десанта)

The rest is just history.

Waffl6
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Waffl6 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:04 pm

Add more lights. You need multiple lights forward facing on your rig to be more "attention grabbing."

The problem with a single light is that it can be missed or doesn't give oncoming drivers a good enough depth to perceive. They can't tell how fast you're going, if they even see you at all.

The solution: running lights, sidecar spotlight, a GOOD horn and above all a clear mind and training. You're responsible for yourself on the streets, that's just how it is.

Motorcycle riding isn't for everyone. I know a lot of people think that a sidecar is safer than 2 a wheeler but the fact of the matter is that is only in certain circumstances. Have you seen what happens to the tub in a crash? Yeah, that's gonna make sure you have to skip leg day for a while.
No longer the youngest guy in the room, nor the youngest Ural owner on the East coast. Title lost to PeninsulaRider.

Current bikes: 1987 Rebel 250, 1990 Ninja 500, 2009 Honda Shadow 750, 2006 CBR600F4I, 2011 Ural Patrol T - I'm bad to her, so she's bad to me.

Past bikes: 1994 Katana 600

Fairfax Virginia

windmill

Post by windmill » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:25 pm

I've upgraded my lights in a responsible manner to communicate my presence to reasonably aware road users, but I'm aware it has limited effectiveness, and excessively bright lights can create issues. One shouldn't fall victim to complacency or fear.

Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:10 pm

My biggest fear is distracted drivers. THEY need to be much more conscious of the laws governing NEGLIGENT MANSLAUGHTER, & NEGLIGENT HOMICIDE - which are not being rigidly enforced. Hard to prove cellphone distraction - if the only witnesses are dead.
Perhaps if they'd declare open season on distracted drivers - they'd be the frightened ones for a change.

Good Rant Huh ?
Current Motorcycles: Improved 2002 Ural Tourist.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

:FI:Igor

Post by :FI:Igor » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:13 pm

You got lucky. Five years ago I had a van make a left hand turn into a church parking space, woke up two hours later in hospital critical care. Lucky it had rained that morning so wife wasn't with me; sidecar was so torn up it was obvious she would have lost both legs! You have to be real careful out there. It's not being paranoid; they really are trying to get us. Recommend you not push your lady into jumping back into the bike; I sure it was a very traumatic experience for her. She'll come back to loving the rides.
2015 Ural Patrol (Светлана)
2006 HD Low Rider (sold)
2013 Ural Patrol 'Ursula' (2015 Totaled!)

RC20

Post by RC20 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:23 pm

You just got very lucky. I am glad your quick reaction and good maneuvering saved you.
Yes and no. Keeping your head on a swivel, looking for conflict not just reacting to it, all are ways to mitigate a crash.

Horns work but need to be used in avoidance, avoid first, don't expect a horn to make any difference, if it does, nice, if not keep taking the patch out.

The downside to a sidecar is its far less maneuverability and does not accelerate as well as a cycle.
Fear No Gravel
Honda 90
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:30 pm

Mr Wazzock wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:42 pm
Just FYI your viddy is set as "made for kids" (ergo can't comment or add to a playlist or Watch Later)
Yep, new youtube rules. I made all videos going forward acceptable for kids if they happen to be interested. They are really cracking down on some of the stuff that isn't and that's not a bad thing.
I didn't know about the can't comment stuff but no big deal to me.
Like on other sites that have a "Like Button". I never do, I just "say" I like it.

Hey, a couple nights after that close call in almost the same spot, 5 deer suddenly jumped out in front of me. For a change it had nothing to do with distracted drivers though I thought I did see one using their cell phone :)
Last edited by stagewex on Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stagewex