Might be getting back on a Ural.

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
thumper05flstsc
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Might be getting back on a Ural.

Post by thumper05flstsc » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:15 pm

Due to bad knee replacement surgery I was unable to bend my right knee enough and I sold my 2013 Gear Up in June of 2016. A week later I
bought a new Indian Springfield.

A year after buying the Indian, my knee became infected and over a 3 month period, I had 3 more surgeries which resulted in gaining more range of motion in my knee.

In October of of 2019 I had a pretty serious accident which resulted in my Indian being totaled. I am still recovering from the accident and suffering from an issue with my right shoulder, arm and hand which currently will not allow me to ride anything but it is slowly improving.

Should I get to the point I can ride again and am indeed able to bend my leg enough, a Ural will be my first choice.

I’ve really missed that beast.
Last edited by thumper05flstsc on Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse" (SB)

Happytrails
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Might be getting back in a Ural.

Post by Happytrails » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:38 pm

Hope you heal up soon and get back on that Ural :)
-JR

2018 Ural GearUp, Urban Camo
1991 Honda Goldwing SE

"riding is good therapy"

RC20

Post by RC20 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:23 pm

Damned sorry for the wreck, that sucks

Agreed, get healed up and get a Ural. I have ruptured disk repaired and the Ural was my only way to get back into cycles (its not riding them, its dropping them and up on the center stand as I carry luggage to camp and side stand does not cut it - love the stability and the load packing.)

2019 and up are real game changers. I call it the Year of the Ural. 2015 to 2018 was much improved but the 2019 hit it out of the park. Probably some 2019s you can negotiate a bit on with the 2020s here (few miner changers) .

Not that I do it a lot but mine will easily do 75. That translates into acceptable for the rest of the range.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

thumper05flstsc
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by thumper05flstsc » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:58 am

RC20 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:23 pm
Damned sorry for the wreck, that sucks

Agreed, get healed up and get a Ural. I have ruptured disk repaired and the Ural was my only way to get back into cycles (its not riding them, its dropping them and up on the center stand as I carry luggage to camp and side stand does not cut it - love the stability and the load packing.)

2019 and up are real game changers. I call it the Year of the Ural. 2015 to 2018 was much improved but the 2019 hit it out of the park. Probably some 2019s you can negotiate a bit on with the 2020s here (few miner changers) .

Not that I do it a lot but mine will easily do 75. That translates into acceptable for the rest of the range.
I’ve gotten the impression the new ones are much better. I bought my 13 at the end of the model year after they announced the 14’s were going to be fuel injected specifically because I wanted carburetors as I like things simple. After reading about how much better the newer rigs are though in several areas, I’m reconsidering.

Mr Wazzock

Re: Might be getting back on a Ural.

Post by Mr Wazzock » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:46 am

Really sorry about your troubles thumper, :( Bummer.
(its not riding them, its dropping them and up on the center stand as I carry luggage to camp and side stand does not cut it - love the stability and the load packing.)
Image this

Somewhat related, I have just acquired an old BSA Bantam as a doer-upper project. However when I think about actually using it, I'm transported back in time to the problem with my first bikes, how the hell do you carry gear on a wee lightweight motorcycle? Fortunately the old Bantams had a rear fender luggage rack as standard, so that's a good start. (Unless you got the version with the dualseat, which covered it up [wtf!].) Then I found some bicycle saddle bags which should hang on the rack and make perfect little soft panniers. Still not massive storage tho.

-
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

RC20

Post by RC20 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:56 pm

I’ve gotten the impression the new ones are much better. I bought my 13 at the end of the model year after they announced the 14’s were going to be fuel injected specifically because I wanted carburetors as I like things simple. After reading about how much better the newer rigs are though in several areas, I’m reconsidering.
I am hoping to get a shot at the Electrojet Generation and a Carb machine. All reports are that the 2019 was not just an improvement but like an all new machine. Before the disk blew I was riding and R80GS and a Nighthawk S 700. Both were very good performing machines.

The 2019 is a lot like the R80GS, not as quick but it carries a lot more weight as well. That said I have been very happy with it. Not sure how to put it but the performance on the flat is close to as good and the overall does not drop off per the higher weight.

Pretty funny on both of the 2 wheels camping with about 100 lbs slung across the back in various ways. I dropped the R80 twice, no fun getting it back up. Second time a guy was gawking and I yelled at him to "don't just stand there, help me pick it up" (and he did!).

My solution for the Ural is a screw jack I carry now. I can get it up with that and then drop the center stand.

R80 was so high on the stand I cut an inch out of it and put a couple of steel pins in it, worked a lot better.

Only area it was any issue was steeper hills, when I got home I checked out the RPM vs speed and while you don't want to do it a lot, you can use 3rd gear to 60. Thats over the 5400 limit but 55 is within it. As 6200 is true short term redline, use of 3rd is quite workable.

My financial guy came out to look it over when I was through Bellingham. He is an avid cyclist and is the same age I am, had a drop on his Yahmaha and cold not figure out what happened. He is looking hard at the Ural for the stability part. My demo is to stand up on the pegs and jump around waving my arms.

Stopping at a light is not an issue any more, just being able to step on the left peg and swing on board is great.
Fear No Gravel
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:44 pm

RC20 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:56 pm
I am hoping to get a shot at the Electrojet Generation and a Carb machine. All reports are that the 2019 was not just an improvement but like an all new machine.
Having lived with all 3 generations, its been a steady progression.

The carb era saw most of the crudeness, and failure prone components get ironed out. The carbs were simple but touchy, and limiting. They were hampered by a poor intake system until the end. "WWID", and "they all do that" was part of the game.

The Electrojet era was a leap ahead in real world usability at the cost of a few quirks. Unfortunately it was tainted by a few slips in the learning curve of modernizing production techniques, an inconsistent supplier, and an unscrupulous key supplier that prevented them from delivering on their full potential, and causing a few owners real headaches.

The Keihin area was another leap forward in real world usability, and refinement in how it accomplishes it. They're still not perfect, and the physics of a 750 punching a hole in the air still applies, but the days of regular tinkering, and wondering if it will make it through a long trip are over.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:50 pm

I hope you heal up Thumper and get back to a Ural!

I have a love hate relationship with my Ural.
On one hand I dislike the maintenance and breakage, but on the other hand I love off-roading it and I probably ask way more from it than was ever intended.
I will have a hack in the garage until I die,
It will likely be a Ural for as long as I'm capable of off-roading and probably a low-maintenance Japanese bike with a hack when I reach the point I can't.

GHGoodwin

Post by GHGoodwin » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:11 pm

Get well and get on - or in - something. It took me a long time but I made it. You will too.

Reflecting on what Barry said. I might just be getting old enough to not want to be forced to tinker and wonder. If I could keep my quirky analog dash and tack on a new one I'd have jumped ship already.
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:52 pm

2019 and up are real game changers. I call it the Year of the Ural. 2015 to 2018 was much improved but the 2019 hit it out of the park.
Have you ridden each of the three (or four, if you count the 650's) generations or are you basing this upon what you've read?
Also, 2014 was the first year of the ElectroJet EFI.
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "Little Red Bear", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", Mid-Nineties Ural Tourist "The Heap", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

pigdog
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by pigdog » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:49 pm

Hopefully you heal and can get back on a bike. I, on the other hand have had at least one too many concussions and am getting out of bikes due to lingering side effects.

I'm not that far from you and have one for sale (hint, hint) in case you are interested.
viewtopic.php?t=55456

That being said, just heal. I actually bought that with my shoulder in a sling from rotator cuff surgery and had to wait months before I could ride.
'00 Ural BC 650 "Strekoza" Gone but not forgotten.
'11 Ural Patrol T
'04 Silverado 2500HD "Old Shaky"
'97 Honda Foreman 400

"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - R. Feynman

thumper05flstsc
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by thumper05flstsc » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:02 pm

You guys have pretty much convinced me that a newer model is the way to go. Now I’ll just need to find one I can try to sit on to see if I have enough bend in my knee.

RC20

Post by RC20 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:08 pm

I had no way to try a Ural so I just jumped in. Worked out well but always a good idea to sit on one and a demo ride or as much time as you can get.

You have the advantage of knowing the basic setup.
Fear No Gravel
Honda 90
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

RC20

Post by RC20 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:25 pm

Have you ridden each of the three (or four, if you count the 650's) generations or are you basing this upon what you've read?
Also, 2014 was the first year of the ElectroJet EFI.
Chad:

I have not ridden other Urals and freely admit so (and yes the brain zarks and FI was 2014). You may not have meant it that way but it smacks of, ok sunny, your are a newbie and your take does not count. I don't care for that attitude, if you do your research and your view is well supported it should be respected. I am not a Ural veteran, but I have been through more hard knocks and dealing with things than many would not see in a lifetime.

That said, I grew up running equipment as a kid. I have run a wide variety of machinery and equipment all my life. I do not claim omnipotence but I can sort out good ride reports from bad ones and with enough of them get a relative feel for things. I sorted information my mechanic/tech/engineer career. I was good at it and I had many engineers tell me so.

I would challenge anyone to manage a 70,000 lb rock truck FULL of 22 yds of gravel down the Pipeline Pad (straight down the face of a cliff) at the Ice Cut up out of Happy Valley while the rocks are like marbles and you are braking and holding on for dear life and loosing it all the way until you hit the bottom at 45 mph (in a rig that is not intended for those speeds) and then braking like a mad mother for the 1/4 mile you have left praying your brakes don't let go as there is a 90 degree corner you make or die ahead.

I have talked to two Ural owners up here (one recently before I bought mine), I have followed Ural casually for a long time. I am not claiming expertise in all the details. I believe overall I have a good handle and feel for it. I have talked to other Ural owners since I got the machine.

I have also said that if you like the one you got then that is good enough reason to stick with it. I have posted my wife's cousin is getting a 2005 and the good reasons it works for him (but would not for me). Equally why I need the 75 mph capability on our freeway even if I don't go that fast.

You know as well as I do that power and get up and go is a life saver on a freeway.

What you have not done is run the Matt Valley to the North. No we do not have Colorado high passes, 3000 feet is an average. What we do have is old highway dating back to WWII where its serous steep up and down and you have a good hp to weight vehicle on your a$$ and NO place to pull off.

I don't think that its wrong to say that performance wise and relativity wise the 2019+ is the best Ural yet and sans a new engine and more gears in the trany, its miner improvements from now on.
Fear No Gravel
Honda 90
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta