Getting Ready for Winter and OPS

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
RC20
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Getting Ready for Winter and OPS

Post by RC20 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:38 pm

Working on Grip Studs, how many and pattern.
PA130275.JPG
PA130276.JPG
Went with more scattered on the front for control in turns and and a solid middle for pure traction on the rear - now all I needs is ice and snow.

Lean to for it to huddle under is usable, need to get rest of plywood on and at least under-layer but I can tarp over the work as needed.
PA160267.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by RC20 on Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: Getting Ready for Winter

Post by windmill » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:28 pm

Aerostitch studs? What size?

I'll be interested to hear how they do on a K28 pusher. They didn't last very long for me on a K37 pusher. Wear wasn't a problem, but they pulled out. Too much dry pavement and keeping up with urban commuter traffic, I suspect its the lateral forces of cornering that rolled them out.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

RC20

Post by RC20 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:37 pm

Grip Studs: 1100 Size: With all new tires you could go

https://www.gripstuds.com/1100_Tire_Stud.php

Reportedly they do not come out, so far the front has lost none but not major miles yet (100 or so). All on dry though that should be changing (we got a whiff of snow and it got down to 15 the other night)

I went with 1100 as the front tire is slightly worn and that was a ok but closer than I liked

Rear is the spare and full depth tread.

It would be nice if they used the 32nd system like everyone else does so had to convert back and froth (good news was some years back they came out with dual MM and Inch electronic Micrometers and with the calculator I can play with it but you still have to do a 32 chart to get either one, hmmm)

Reports are they don't come out. One brother used those on a fat tire bike and lost none but of course that is low speed.

It would be nice to get a pattern set to look at and how individuals felt they performed. The rear may be a bit stud dense.

I don't know yet if you can pull and reuse a hole (I doubt it)
Fear No Gravel
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:03 pm

windmill wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:28 pm
Aerostitch studs? What size?

I'll be interested to hear how they do on a K28 pusher.
Ditto. :lurker:
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

RC20

Post by RC20 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:28 pm

I was not impressed with Aerostich, just you are on our own.

Grip Studs has a lot of information on tread depth and type as well as heights and install even if not as specific even from owners as I would like.

Particularly good data on tread depth.

I have a variety of tires around, the closest was an old R80GS so I used that as a test (it had tread with good depth on the edge). I was very confident as long as I did not drastically exceed the seating depth no issues. I did a car tire (carcass is a lot thinner on the middle) and even an old bicycle tire.

I would be testing this AM but I came down with an infected tooth and I don't belong on the road cycle wise.
Fear No Gravel
Honda 90
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:53 pm

I was under the impression Aerostitch studs are just rebranded gripstuds.

I had the best luck with having automotive studs installed, but drilling a tire for them is teeee-deee-usss, and none were impervious to loosing some.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2018 M70

RC20

Post by RC20 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:04 pm

The certainly look identical. More info on Grip Studs at Grip Studs site.

Digging into Aerostich comments there was a notion about super glue to keep them in.
Fear No Gravel
Honda 90
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:42 pm

RC20 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:28 pm
I would be testing this AM but I came down with an infected tooth and I don't belong on the road cycle wise.
Yikes! :o Hope that gets sorted soon
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:40 pm

We Elderly, do our bikes & selves a favor - Leaving them snug & dry indoors, & use a 4 wheeler with wipers & a good heater/defroster.

More power to the young & enthusiastic - having enjoyed that until I no longer did.
Current Motorcycles: Improved 2002 Ural Tourist.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

RC20

Post by RC20 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:38 pm

Each to his or her own (it, their, all that gender neutral stuff)

I have no plans to caving into age before I have to. Stupid force it no, but give up too soon, no way.

My mother had a knee replaced at age 85. Now that is well past the normal recommended - but she was very active and still walking 5 miles a day. So the boys were all on board and two retired ones worked through her recovery with her.

Go MOM! She still does a mile or so a day. You think I am going to let my MOTHER show me up? Some years back I flew down to spend a week with here. She is walking me into the ground, I got the mojo (work was a warehouse that 1/2 mile round trips were the norm) but not her fast pace. It took me 3 days to get up to speed. When I told her, she said, well I could have slowed down. Yea, right, 22 years older than me and I will die before I admit I can't keep up with you.

I went out to do my target shooting at 35 degrees yesterday (and got a .21 MOA which is fantastic!) Nice to get out. The Ural for me is about enjoyment and I plan to play with it all winter long and see what it and I can do.

I suspect some deeper snow and I am not viable, slushy I am not going to mess with but the rest is wide open.
Fear No Gravel
Honda 90
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

RC20

Post by RC20 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:47 pm

Ok, we got good icy streets, I got the spare tire with the studs in it on the rear and a road test.

They work great. Good grip, good acceleration. Went over to a friends with steep hill and driveway and climbed right up.

A bit of 50 mph on the main road and good.

Took it into an empty parking lot and did some hard turns and skids and fully controllable.

now all I need is a few inches of snow to go play in.

Rear Tire Removal: This is well worth a practice run, all the fasteners and how to get it out and off is a story unto itself. A flat on a good day and surface to work off of would not be fun. I am moving the right size long combination pattern wrenches to the Ural. Add a few more items.
Fear No Gravel
Honda 90
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

cheeseheadmike

Post by cheeseheadmike » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:23 am

Getting ready for winter today. Because studs are not legal in Illannoy that will consist of muffs over the heated grips(they go OVER the levers, moron)and warmer duds.
cheeseheadmike

1973 Velosolex 3800-slow, 1977 Velosolex 4600-really slow
1979 Honda CX500-not slow at all
Various bicycles from 1947 to 2018-slow to fast, depending on my mood
2007 Ural Gear Up

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:02 pm

RC20 wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:38 pm
I suspect some deeper snow and I am not viable, slushy I am not going to mess with but the rest is wide open.
Riding a Ural in the snow.

I've been stopped by an inch of snow, I've been able to power through 18" of snow. I've turned around and headed home after a 1/2 mile, I've done 100 miles.

It's always different, and calls for different techniques.

Deep, cold snow, 2wd, no problem unless one high centers.

A little bit of packed snow just below freezing, 2 wheelers and 1wd Urals stopped cold and using the ditch to retreat.

Oops a daisy.....

Rescued.

Dodging cars.

Not always easy, but worth it.
Barry

2018 M70

scottmastrocinque
Party Member
Party Member

Post by scottmastrocinque » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:46 pm

Looks like a whole lot of fun!
2017 Ural Gear Up Sahara
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2009 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
2008 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport
2007 Piaggio X9 500 Evoluzione
1997 Moto Guzzi V10 Centauro

"There comes a time in your life when you have to let go of all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus solely on the good. After all, life is too short to be anything but happy."

RC20

Post by RC20 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:54 pm

No plans to get as adventurous as some have posted :roll:

Still happy with how the stud layout on the front and rear did, its worked as I hoped it would.

Front has full control with the more scatter patter, rear you really have to try to break it loose.

My friends place is shades of Lombard Street (google it in San Francisco) without the tight corners so it was a great test.

I'll get another k-38 come spring so all I have to do is one tire swap off the rim for summer or winter setup. Might get a whole wheel but iffy due to shipping.

For summer the spare will have studs but even that, with all the effort to get off particularity on the rear, it likely would be easier to just replace the tube (of course that depends on circumstances)
Fear No Gravel
Honda 90
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta