US to EU

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
tundrawookie

US to EU

Post by tundrawookie » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:37 pm

Hi All
I am taking a new Job within the EU and will be moving via container. I have an old BMW that was made to comply to both US and EU specs. I also have an 08 Gear up that I was hoping to take with. Has anybody here done this? Will I need to go through a lot of modifications. I've been doing some looking but information is very hokey at best. Any info is much appreciated. Cheers TW

Claus
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: US to EU

Post by Claus » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:08 am

TW, it depends a bit where you´re going to in Europe. If you want to register your bikes in Germany, feel free to give me a call once you´re here. Either I know someone near your area or I could give you a hand with all registration things when you end up in northern Germany around Hamburg. I have done this quite a few times.
Talking about Germany your chances for registrating your bikes are quite good, because your bikes move with you to this country. The term is called "Umzugsgut" . Vehicles that have moved together with their owner are more easy to registrate and need less effort and money than vehicles beeing imported for financial interest.
This should be about the same in other European countries but it varies. We are not united but a bunch of small states in a union where every state wants to keep it´s peculiarities but on the other hand wants to draw from the common pot of money. Annoying.
owned bikes: 93 Ural rig domestic model, 95 Suzuki DR 659 RSE, BMW R100GS, Suzuki GSX1100G rig, BMW R100R rig with Ural sidecar, Ural rig with BMW drivetrain under construction,

tundrawookie

Post by tundrawookie » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:54 pm

Going to Hungary. I figured there were some country to country differences but also that there was going to be some EU stuff I needed to prepare for. Thanks TW

rivers

Post by rivers » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:40 pm

TW, I suggest you call the nearest Hungarian embassy in the US. They can either advise or get you the phone numbers to the in-country agency that you'll have to deal with. As Claus mentioned for Germany, getting your personal gear/vehicles past customs shouldn't be much of a problem for folks moving there. What you'll have be do to get licensed/registered for road use once there may or may not be an issue. Are you moving on your own or is your employer moving you? If employer, they'll likely be dealing with a Customs House Broker that is getting paid for their service. Don't be afraid to quiz them regarding your concerns.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Claus

Post by Claus » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:39 pm

I have googled a bit about that. If you come from an outside EU-country and bring your vehicle, you got to pay customs fee. You can only registrate the vehicle after you have got a resident card, a personal ID-card, a clear original title of the vehicle and a proof that the vehicle is not longer registrated in it´s former country.
After that the vehicle must go through a road-worthyness-test like TÜV and the validitation process must be started. In the end there are several fees to pay.
I have found no informations about motorcycles, if you want to bring a car the fees can be up to the car´s value or sometimes more.
Most of the people moving to Hungary sell their cars in their home country and buy a new one in Hungary.
I reckon, you might want to ask someone prior to bringing your vehicles to Hungary.
This is very different to German law and habits.
owned bikes: 93 Ural rig domestic model, 95 Suzuki DR 659 RSE, BMW R100GS, Suzuki GSX1100G rig, BMW R100R rig with Ural sidecar, Ural rig with BMW drivetrain under construction,