Getting old is all in your head

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Tin Man
Commissar
Commissar

Getting old is all in your head

Post by Tin Man » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:45 pm

I frequent a gun forum (I know, that’s a big shocker) where most of the participants keep pretty close tabs on each other. When a particular member had not posted for a time, there was general concern because he was up in years and, well, ya just never know….We did know the general region of the Country he was in but we also knew he had several ranches and moved around tending to each as needs arose. Folks were calling Sheriffs Offices and hospitals trying to track him down, all with no luck. We were fearing the worst when today he appeared back on the forum explaining his extended absence. As you will see in his tale, this man is of THAT generation, and it shows. And it is just too good a life story not to share:

"I'm finally back. Surprised that I seem to have been missed.

I will not make this long but will just hit the high spots since the past months have been tough.

Yes I am up in years. Long ago, when I was just a lad, I planned to live forever, as I suspect most youngsters do. So far my plan is still working , but I have hit some rough spots. In about 5 months I will be 90 years old.

My wife and I are now living in town. As a result of an accident some months ago, I have gone through four surgeries to put me back together plus one of the doctors made a mistake that cost me the use of my legs. I am still trying to learn to walk and can only hobble with a cane, but not very far. I am off of the wheelchair and crutches but doubt that I will ever be completely back to normal.

Months ago I was up in the summer grazing area checking cattle on the Route National Forest allotment. I came onto one cow with a swollen head, in an aspen grove on a steep mountainside. (I learned later from my resident Ranch Manager that she had broken infected tooth that my cowboys took care of after I was in the hospital.)

I started my good horse after the cow to rope her and check her problem but my good cow horse tripped, slipping on the very steep slope, on wet ground (it was raining), when I dallied my catch rope that had caught the cow. The cow jerked the rope dallied to the saddle horn, my horse was tripping, slipping on the steep slick ground, trying to stop running, hold the cow, and got jerked down. I went down and my horse actually rolled over me, the saddle crushing my hips and right leg.

My horse rolled about 20 or 30 feet down from me after rolling over me but got back on his feet. I tried to get up but could not. I was able to painfully crawl and slide down to my horse that was good enough to stand still as I talked to him. When I got to him, by holding to a small Aspen Tree to pull myself up onto my left leg on the uphill side of my horse, the steepness of the slope, with me on the uphill side, I was able to swing my a$$ onto the saddle and crawl over to get my left leg over the saddle and foot into the left stirrup.

After riding almost 2 hours down to the parked truck and horse trailer, I fired three shots with my Ruger Six shooter, hoping the two cowboys who had come up with me could hear and come to help me. I knew that I could not get off my horse. I waited a while and fired three more shots.

Finally both of my hired men got to me, the two getting me off my horse and laid me in the back of the pickup truck. They loaded our horses into the trailer and drove back to the ranch, unhitched the trailer then with me in the back of the truck my ranch manager and my wife drove me to the hospital in Fort Collins, 170 miles from my ranch.

I now have two new hips, a new right knee, a pinned pelvis, three titanium parts in my spine and an operated-on right torn muscle in my shoulder. It's going to take a long while until I am able get around very much. Since I had to go through four surgeries, plus recovery efforts, I bought a house in Fort Collins with the help of my wife and a Realty friend, we moved into the new house where I am close to the Orthopedic Center and hospital for continued treatments and recovery.

I don't know if I will be able to ever move back to live on the ranch but I have a good resident manager and hired men there who really don't need me under foot all the time anyway. If I can get so I can walk more than 5 minutes at a time, even with a cane, I hope to move back to the ranch.

I now have my computer in our home here in town so maybe I can write some more in a while. This is all for now".
Mike
2007 GearUp (Arctic #1)
130/45 jets, KTM rock solid mirrors, Delaware Dave's outstanding trunk lock, Mr. Cob's most excellent skid plate, Cycra Probend smashproof hand guards, Duro strong like bull 307's, RotoPax damn near bulletproof fuel cans, MKIII all but water proof air box and Dimples super duper magnetic drain plugs all around...oh yeah, and a manual fuel petcock.

.........if you see something that needs doing, just do it........

Mr Wazzock
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Getting old is all in your head

Post by Mr Wazzock » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:48 pm

Holy crap! :o
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

sixbennetts
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by sixbennetts » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:11 pm

Tough ol' bugger. I wish him well.
I have a funny wife. Hilarious, really.
I love her, she loves me.

"I'm slow and like to go old."
Plattsburgh NY

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:59 pm

Whoa, that is some tough Hombre.
Wish him God Speed & prayers for recovery.
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250
2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

GoatTracks

Post by GoatTracks » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:36 am

I wonder how many people around here would recognize a three-shot SOS?
"Dog is my Co-Pilot"

Central Iowa, USA
'07 "FrankenUral" Gear Up
'99 HD Bad Boy Custom
'84 Yamaha 175 Enduro
Mattel "Big Wheel"

snowymonkey

Post by snowymonkey » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:46 am

AE72A544-D4F3-4F55-8849-C7D8FFABEA14.jpeg
I would. Too many years hunting as a kid.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“ The music moves me, but it moves me ugly” - Nickoli

2008 Ural Patrol - “Toothless”

Lake City Florida

Peter Pan
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Peter Pan » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:10 pm

Could have been the story of Frank the Swiss on CR-Arenal lake..."Y siga de jupón!" (rip)
Sophie Travelair = Patrol 2013
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon-Alaska-Oregon
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain = :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates) 3. at 42.386km
transmission: 1. 40.000km. 2. installed
Engine: 1. 43.388km crank replacement: Back on the road since 23.Okt.2019 :party:

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!

DRC458

Post by DRC458 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:30 pm

Oh, wow! It's amazing he's still around to tell the story. Wishing him godspeed and a full recovery. Still shaking my head!
Don

2006 Ural Tourist

outrider

Post by outrider » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:45 am

They don't make um like that any longer!
Best of wishes on your recovery and getting back home to your ranch.
2017 Gear Up

Marital Art Instructor

solo1966
Party Member
Party Member

Post by solo1966 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:37 am

Impressive most impressive. Like my dad, just don't quit.
:foilhead: Love my GOD,country,and fear my government,2017 GU , 2019 GU

Pterodactyl

Post by Pterodactyl » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:39 am

GoatTracks wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:36 am
I wonder how many people around here would recognize a three-shot SOS?
Worked for me while living in Alaska. Four of us were on an airboat coming home from moose hunting on the Chena River. Just getting dark when the fan shroud hit a sweeper (tree laying down abouy 6 feet above the water) as we rounded a corner. The boat rolled and all aboard were tossed in the water and all our survival gear was 12 feet under nearly freezing water. We all made it to a sandbar on the other side of the river. We figured we would spend a long cold night; it was mid September and temperatures were getting down to freezing. Some tried to start a fire and were having little luck. I had a sidearm so I fired three shots not really expecting anyone to hear them. Turnsout an off duty LEO was out star gazing and he had access to a large resreation area that was a couple of miles from the river. The area was closed but as a LEO he had a key and used the area so there would be no ambient light. He heard the shots, knew what the meant and that they were likely coming from the river. About three hours later two Zodiaks showed up with members of the local volunteer fire deparment ready to evacuate us all.
Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, MT
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA

Wildhorse Cafe

Post by Wildhorse Cafe » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:14 pm

I have nothing for you, but wait!
I spent a year in the hospital last month.
2011 Patrol, The Higgs Bison Super Collider, formally known as, the Orange and Silver Pumpkin Coach.

2013 Black Retro, Chernaya Krasota, formally known as, my name is nobody.

When you set out on your journey to Ithaca
pray the road is long , full of adventure, full of knowledge
not expecting that Ithaca will offer you riches
Ithaca has given you the beautiful voyage

C.P. Cavafy

VWNate1
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Getting Old

Post by VWNate1 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:58 am

I'm discovering it's a lot in the bones & joints too.....

Sitting still isn't much fun .
-Nate
'94 Tourist 650
'96 650 Solo
'10 Solo sT Crashed & Ruined 6.26.17 :cry: