Navy Motorcycle Riding Requirements

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
rougaroo
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Navy Motorcycle Riding Requirements

Post by rougaroo » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:24 pm

Took this while visiting my son. Really makes you want to get out there and ride, doesn't it? And unlike Tom Cruise in Topgun, they insist on ATGATT, even if it's 95F outside.
image000000.jpg
Rougaroo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rougaroo on Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2003 Tourist - lotsa upgrades
2004 Troyka - work in progress

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Re: Navy Motorcycle Riding Requirements

Post by Tomcatfixer » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:55 pm

Ha! I'm glad to have left that aspect of the job behind. The nice thing about being a sidecar pilot is that the Navy doesn't have a course that covers hacks, so I didn't have to do any of that mandatory "fun".
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "Little Red Bear", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", Mid-Nineties Ural Tourist "The Heap", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

Tin Man
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tin Man » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:43 pm

Don't know if it still holds as fact but, when I was in, the Post/Base Commander had the final say in what the rules were........
Mike
2007 GearUp (Arctic #1)
130/45 jets, KTM rock solid mirrors, Delaware Dave's outstanding trunk lock, Mr. Cob's most excellent skid plate, Cycra Probend smashproof hand guards, Duro strong like bull 307's, RotoPax damn near bulletproof fuel cans, MKIII all but water proof air box and Dimples super duper magnetic drain plugs all around...oh yeah, and a manual fuel petcock.

.........if you see something that needs doing, just do it........

treeman1942
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by treeman1942 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:47 pm

As a reservist in 1990, I requested active duty during Desert Storm. I rode my Harley Ultra to Camp Pendleton from Michigan, not knowing that I needed to complete the base MSF course before I could ride on base. The base MP's gave me a temporary waiver until I could complete the course. Everyone in the MSF class was riding dirt bikes, crotch rockets, etc, etc. To say the least, with the Ultra, it was difficult to compete with those young guys riding those types of bikes. That was my first MSF course ever, and even though I'd been riding bikes since age 14, at age 48, I learned a lot and it made me a much better rider.
2019 Ural Gear Up, OD Green
1977 BMW R100/7 (original owner)
2014 Burgman 400/A
2008 Piaggio MP3250
Whizzer Motorbike

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
Will Rogers

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:33 pm

Tin Man wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:43 pm
Don't know if it still holds as fact but, when I was in, the Post/Base Commander had the final say in what the rules were........
Nah, that went away quite a while ago, Mike. The training and Personal Protective Equipment requirements are standardized fleet-wide now. Allow Sailors to break the rules and you put your career at risk.
- Chad

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "Little Red Bear", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", Mid-Nineties Ural Tourist "The Heap", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:

Tin Man
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tin Man » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:05 pm

Tomcatfixer wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:33 pm
Tin Man wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:43 pm
Nah, that went away quite a while ago, Mike. The training and Personal Protective Equipment requirements are standardized fleet-wide now. Allow Sailors to break the rules and you put your career at risk.
Yeah, from what I saw....... unless the CO was a "Brother of the Wind"......the rules were generally a lot stricter than the norm. I can't remember which Post it was on but there was one where the Post Rule was ATGATT to include "approved" eye protection......even tho you could run all over in a Military Vehicle with the windshield folded down without any similar requirements......the local word was that the CO simply hated motorcycles. So he did it because he could....... :foilhead:
Mike
2007 GearUp (Arctic #1)
130/45 jets, KTM rock solid mirrors, Delaware Dave's outstanding trunk lock, Mr. Cob's most excellent skid plate, Cycra Probend smashproof hand guards, Duro strong like bull 307's, RotoPax damn near bulletproof fuel cans, MKIII all but water proof air box and Dimples super duper magnetic drain plugs all around...oh yeah, and a manual fuel petcock.

.........if you see something that needs doing, just do it........

WEGUNTER
Commissar
Commissar

Post by WEGUNTER » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:43 pm

No wiggle room anymore. Those rules are standard across DOD. They will not even let you on post here at Bragg if you do not have a current training certificate and are wearing all required protective gear to include reflective vest. In addition, if you get into a wreck off post and you are found to be in violation of the rules they can potentially deny you military medical coverage.

brianural

Post by brianural » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:05 pm

I had to go to a National Guard base to get my ID card renewed in 2015(inactive reserves until 2025), rode my roadglide to the base expecting to have to walk from gate to office, nope, I was allowed to ride on base to office with out any of the BS ATGATT and MSF requirements. Was pleasantly surprised...
2011 HD RGU
2003 Honda VTX1800 - sold
2005 Honda VTX1300 - sold
Bunch of other metric bikes for last 45 years
"1966 titled" Dnepr MT-11 (reality is a 80-90's)
1956 IMZ M72 bought in pieces, working on build
1967 KMZ MB-750

BlueRockCrawler

Post by BlueRockCrawler » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:38 pm

I took a MSF class near Dover AFB, at least half the people in it were there by decree of the DOD. I really don't see a problem with mandatory safety gear, seems like a good way to limit damage to govt. property in case it crashes it's bike :) I'm atgatt even in 90+ degree weather, people don't stop talking on their phone because it's hot out. It's easy to find mesh gear that is CE rated and is as or more comfortable than jeans are on a 120 degree road sitting in traffic. When I work a nice warm weekend, I'm surprised when someone DOESN'T crash his Harley in a t-shirt and doo rag. :cheers:
2020 KTM Duke 790
2018 Suzuki DR 650
previous bikes were
1993 Suzuki DR 650
2015 Ural Patrol
1996 750 Magna
2002 750 shadow A.C.E.
2004 919
1985 500 Magna

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:15 pm

brianural wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:05 pm
I had to go to a National Guard base to get my ID card renewed in 2015(inactive reserves until 2025), rode my roadglide to the base expecting to have to walk from gate to office, nope, I was allowed to ride on base to office with out any of the BS ATGATT and MSF requirements. Was pleasantly surprised...
Key words... National Guard.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
100,000 km and counting

Kilometers2
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Kilometers2 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:43 am

I retired from the Army in 2005 and got a civilian job at Fort Benning, Ga. The Post Commander didn't like motorcycles and made it extremely hard for Soldiers to ride bikes in Post. To get on Post, riders had to show their MSF card, Drivers license with motorcycle endorsement, and proof of motorcycle insurance every time you came on Post. It caused so many delays with the morning traffic coming to work that they had the ID Card Center produce a Fort Benning Motorcycle ID Card with your photo one could get after showing the 3 documents. That made it much easier but you still had to follow the other stupidly written Post regulation: long sleeve shirt and pants, gloves, and over the ankle shoes, and a safety vest (not the PT reflective vest). If a Soldier wanted to buy a motorcycle and lived on Post they had to ne counseled by the first Lieutenant Colonel in their chain of command on motorcycle safety.... didn't matter if the LTC was a rider or not. Additionally there were different steps Soldiers had to adhere to based on the number of CCs the bike had. Later I attended a training course for civilians in the workplace and was able to talk with the Post safety officer. I told him the way the regulation was written I could ride to work and pajamas as long as they were long sleeve and wear gardening gloves and have high top tennis shoes and where are safety vests and meet the post regulation requirements. He said I was correct. I was glad that I was no longer on active duty at the time but civilian still had to wear the prescribed clothing and safety vest and you would see a lot of people as soon as they got off post pull to the side and take off all their safety gear oh, I just kept mine on. I rode my bike to Fort Jackson a year or two later to attend a course and stopped at the checkpoint started pulling out all my information and the guard looked at me like I was nuts and just said no you're good just go on in. I found out later that for Jackson was hosting a motorcycle safety ride of a hundred miles around post and we're expecting over a hundred Riders and was struck by the contrast between one who was actually trying to do something for motorcycles Riders and another commander who was trying to make it difficult. Here at Redstone Arsenal in 2019 you see motorcycle riders all the time coming on Post and leaving in their civilian work clothes to include include short sleeve shirts, dress shoes, and no gloves whatsoever. Seems the only safety gear you have to wear at Redstone Arsenal is a helmet.
Miles aka Kilometers

Uralless for 3 years and regretting it the last 2 years I have owned a Doberman. Thinking of coming back rather than hacking the Harley...there is just something about Urals, this forum, and the 2WD I used infrequently while camping.....

Formerly owned 2007 GU, 2014 Patrol, and 2016 GU

brianural

Post by brianural » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:51 am

Lokiboy wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:15 pm
brianural wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:05 pm
Key words... National Guard.
good point, state owned and controlled vice federal (DOD). Makes sense.
2011 HD RGU
2003 Honda VTX1800 - sold
2005 Honda VTX1300 - sold
Bunch of other metric bikes for last 45 years
"1966 titled" Dnepr MT-11 (reality is a 80-90's)
1956 IMZ M72 bought in pieces, working on build
1967 KMZ MB-750

Yoggie
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Yoggie » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:22 am

Being in the Air Force, the regulations seem to be fairly standard from the half dozen or so bases I have been on. They are:

-Proof of your MSR certification (I have never been checked, probably will only be checked if you crash)
-Normal military ID, but everyone is checked anyways so that is no different for bikes
-DoT helmet (they have to see your face at the gate so a convertible is nice or expect to take a full face helmet off)
-Gloves (who rides without gloves anyways???)
-Long sleeves and pants (these can be blue jeans and a cotton long sleeve T-shirt if you are out of uniform, if you are in uniform you meet this requirement)
-Over the ankle shoes (uniform boots count)
-Eye protection. A helmet face shield or even just normal sunglasses count but a motorcycle wind screen does not. Worse case is a pair of safety glasses that cost what, $7?
-I have seen mixed reports on reflective gear. It used to be a big deal and it seems like they have stopped caring in the last couple of years. This might be specific to how hard an individual gate guard wants to inforce the rules. A reflective vest costs what, $15?
-Worse case, you are looking at spending less than $25 to be military approved

I always ride with a full face helmet and a one piece easy to slip on and off riding suit with reflective parts, even in the hottest weather, so the only thing that is at all different or extra for me would be the MSR card. And considering it is always in my wallet, its not like it adds a lot of weight or stress to me ride!

As an additional piece of information, military members are required to meet the standards above at all times, even off base, or the military can deny your health coverage or life insurance should you crash. I have never heard of it being denied, but why test the system?
Current bikes: 2020 Gear Up, 2012 KLR650
Former bikes: 2015 DR200

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:31 am

-I have seen mixed reports on reflective gear. It used to be a big deal and it seems like they have stopped caring in the last couple of years.
The Navy abolished the requirement for a reflective vest shortly after September 11th, 2001, because it was argued that riding around in a vest made a motorcyclist easily identifiable as a military member and, therefore, an easy target for terrorists. Aside from the already established long sleeve/leg length, riding apparel must be "brightly colored", according to the latest Navy motorcycle regulations (which don't actually define "brightly colored").
- Chad

Current rides:

Previous rides:

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:47 am

None of that seems excessive...here is my regular regimen...

MSF BRC and Advanced (though overdue for refresher)
DOT Hi-viz helmet
Mesh kevlar riding pants with armor at shins, knees, hips and tail bone.
Hi-viz (but fading) kevlar mesh jacket with armor at elbows, forearms, chest, back protector, knees and shin.
2" 3M SOLAS reflective stripe on rear of jacket and sleeves.
ANSI eyewear in clear for night and tinted/mirrored for sun, in ADDITION to helmet shield.
ANSI/ISEA 138 level 3 impact rated gloves.

Boots are still my weak point...
On street and sometimes off-road I wear over the ankle combat boots with abrasion/melt resistant kevlar laces (I once had a lowside in combat boots and the laces evaporated on contact with pavement, sending my boot flying and miraculously my foot was unscathed.)
Off-road i wear BOGS because i like dry feet.

If I could find a good pair of motorcycle-specific riding boots in size 15.5-16 depending on fit, I'd snap them up in a heartbeat for pavement. Off-road I find MX boots to have some of the water-proof and protective qualities I need but they are too stiff and restraining. Only BOGS rubber boots fit and flex enough for me.