Why a Ural Costs 15K +

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: Why a Ural Costs 15K +

Post by windmill » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:23 pm

INSUBORDINATOR wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:01 pm

You miss my point -FUN CAN BE HAD WITH USED EQUIPMENT. & be sure to have your family taken care of, before shelling out $15K - or indenturing yourself, & maybe have some DISABILITY INSURANCE just in case.

No $#!+?!

Stop assuming others need, or want your off topic your life coach advice. Maybe we're not as stupid as your ego needs us to be.
INSUBORDINATOR wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:01 pm
Well there's all kinds own Urals. I paid what I could afford after hunting the right one, & enjoyed repairing it - without having to make payments while doing so, & had no deadlines, & made improvements when I could.

A perfectly reasonable opinion.....that has nothing to do with this thread.

The rest of the condescending commentary is thoughtless, rude and unnecessary. Have some respect, and start your own thread for your personal finance topic.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

Pterodactyl
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by Pterodactyl » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:20 pm

15K+, emphasis on the +. I bought a 2018 GU this spring and it was very much +. I obviously think it was worth it, but it is a toy, not a necessity. I appreciate the OP’s comments on the costs associated with producing a Ural. Perhaps the biggest reason in my opinion is the lack of economy of scale, but it is a very specialized, niche market and $15K+ is the price of admission for a new one.
Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
Team Pterodactyl
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:51 pm

When I decided to get a new rig, I considered having a custom rig built, but decided against it. Having a new sidecar professionally installed on a new motorcycle can make a new Ural seem downright inexpensive.

A custom RTR Royal Enfield Twin with a DMC M72D would be more expensive than a 2019 cT.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2018 M70

WEGUNTER
Commissar
Commissar

Post by WEGUNTER » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:10 am

Gents, this conversation is starting to go off the rails. Please keep it on the civil side.

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:20 am

It’s funny, almost verbatim this question was raised a few years ago. Ural is not making hand-over-fist on the sale of these things. They put out a pretty good product and it’s up to the individual.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
100,000 km and counting

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by gobium » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:25 am

Bob.
You remember what Ilya said about their investment on 2019 at dinner table with Madina?

snowymonkey

Post by snowymonkey » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:42 am

gobium wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:25 am
Bob.
You remember what Ilya said about their investment on 2019 at dinner table with Madina?

Well now you’re just talking in codes :lol:
9EF1A702-B8E2-4139-B92B-564C2290C08B.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“ The music moves me, but it moves me ugly” - Nickoli

2008 Ural Patrol - “Toothless”

Lake City Florida

RC20

Post by RC20 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:33 pm

Gents, this conversation is starting to go off the rails. Please keep it on the civil side.
It was fully civil until one person stuck his unrelated take in, same person has done so repeatably with other posts and this is the second time in hte last week.

I would most respectfully suggest the person causing the issue be dealt with rather than suggest we all are at fault. One persons issue should not be all our problem.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

AndyH
Comrade
Comrade

Post by AndyH » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:22 pm

Back on rails - for those of us on newer models, we do owe a debt of gratitude to those who kept the faith and bought older Urals.

Owned a few rigs in my time but I bought a second hand Ural (2015 in 2017) because I wasn't sure if the bike would do what I wanted. There is a plethora of misinformation out there along with a bucket load of opinions, mostly without fact, that just adds confusion to potential buyers.
In my country there is no other sidecar option that come direct from the manufacturer still in business. All the rigs I have owned were bolted on to a donor bike and that brings with it a whole raft of problems.
I choose Ural, not because of price, but because they had a track record of managing to provide an all up round ready to go into the breech. So far they have delivered. If they hadn't, I would have sold it and moved on.
One of the main learning's for me is that all models are different and the newer you buy the more problems suffered by the older models are fixed. Ural list most of the changes, but with this outfit it is the minor changes that make all the difference.
I doubt Ural are in the business of making a mass produced motorcycle for a massive open market, if they are then they are doing a pretty rubbish job of it. Ural are in the business of making unique motorcycles that most of us love and are willing to pay for. 15K+ is the price they set and the market is willing to pay - if it wasn't they would be out of business.

I will be upgrading in the next two years, my purchase has convinced me that I want a new one - I don't see the entry price for a 2019 model as a barrier.
2015 Ural EU Tourist -

The White Rabbit

Post by The White Rabbit » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:24 pm

It's obvious that Ural has a commitment to gradual and continuing improvement and that is of great importance to me. It means they care about what they build and what they do. They will never (in my lifetime) be a large company that mass produces sidecar rigs. Good! I have an affinity for simple designs that I am (usually) able to maintain myself. And I like different. If I wanted a Harley I'd have bought one. The cost of admission, all things considered, is pricey but it's either $15k+ or not at all. I opt to pay the price. I completely understand Ural's economics and I'm impressed by their persistence and dedication to continuing improvement. If nothing in my life changes, I'll be buying a new one in another couple of years. Count me as an impressed and very happy Uralista who understands the costs around designing and building a cT or GU. Sometimes I'm surprised they aren't more expensive. That would price me out of the market.
The White Rabbit
2012 Forest Fog Gear Up :D
aka "Gulliver"
Where the Snake & Columbia Rivers meet.
1956 BMW R69
Previous: '69 Honda 750; Honda 350

atlasheating
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by atlasheating » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:45 pm

There are very few opportunities to buy a new old vehicle. It is like having a "new" 66 VW Beetle.
I realize the Ural has limitations, and I enjoy that. RC20 have given an excellent description of Ural and why they cost what they do. I am grateful for the information and assistance of the Ural community. Lat's face it, it is not a Honda. I have suffered a few setbacks, but I have been able to make the repairs and keep the rig on the road. I am also happy to be a neighbor of Windmill and I consider him to be a fount of Ural Knowledge.

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:16 pm

The White Rabbit wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:24 pm
It's obvious that Ural has a commitment to gradual and continuing improvement
I know that for a fact.

I've seen much of the product development they do first hand. Several times they've asked to put prototype parts on my rig for real world testing, they've invited me to test ride prototypes, and even let me take one on a road trip to California.

Not only are they continuously improving the product, they listen to feedback from regular folks like myself, not just marketing gurus.
Barry

2018 M70

chaos2
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by chaos2 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:03 pm

I'm continually amazed they can keep the cost down to $15-20,000 for such a low production unique vehicle. And they can stay in business doing so. One comparable company I can think of is Morgan, their 3 wheeler starts at $50k + and they source the engine from S&S and the transmission from a Mazda Miata. When the time comes I'll gladly plunk down whatever to keep that grin on my face.
past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, and a Citroen.
Now an 87 K75s, DB Haanjo gravel bike, and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

RC20

Post by RC20 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:41 pm

Time: When its a small operation, then time becomes a major factory. You still have to keep the whole circus going, and find time to deal with new vendors (or improve what the ones you have supply) prototype it, then get it into production. Time is a precious commodity and if its a small operation the people that can save you time are not very many (if at all and in some cases it takes the owner who knows what the balance is to decide).

Industrialization: There is a leap from a prototype to making it in numbers (granted Ural numbers are small) but any vendor also has to do it quickly or the costs are hand built prototype. How they manage it? Likely some run it off in one batch or maybe several smaller ones.
What works for one off by hand does not for a quantity process so you have to come up with the process and equipment to do it (not the same as prototype). You then have to confirm your industrial process was as good (or better) than the prototype was.

LEDs took a long time to hit mainstream because it took a lot of time to industrialize the process to where you got enough numbers to bring the costs down. Edison had the same issue with the light bulb. They finally figured out how to make the filament (by hand and lots and lots of tests) but then it was a bugger to get it to where they could do it as more than a once off custom build.
And forget they did it better than now, the one that is still burning is because they put low voltage through it, low current, low heat. Its dim. Any light would burn forever that way. I used marker to put lights on top of a hanger, name for them is traffic lights. They are rated at 130 volts. Last 2 to 4 years continuous burn. Upwards of 32,000 hours. Drop the voltage to 80?
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:31 am

RC20, are you taking a business course? :lol:
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim